Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi everyone.went back to shallow creek today [trip 10].had a family weekend and didn,t get out.getting to the undergrowth end of the creek and want to work this area for a bit.soon will be snake time and i won,t be going into this area went spring starts.2 types of snakes live here and both are deadly eastern brown and tiger snake and both are common.anyway found token [poor condition] chinese coin,few english pennies[junk] the few firsts for me a french 1849[napoleon 111] condition poor,german [10 pen] poor but best of all these two ONE PENNY 1825 [GEORGE 111] AND FARTHING 1830 [GEORGE] IN FARE CONDITION AND THIS THE FIRST TIME I HAVER BROKE 1840 MARK.STILL NO GOLD :( :( :(

TINPAN

Attachments

• dia gun shan001.jpg
    dia gun shan001.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 781
Upvote 0
OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FINDS

Attachments

• copper french001.jpg
    copper french001.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 769
OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PIC

Attachments

• copper french002.jpg
    copper french002.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 761
OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FIND

Attachments

• g 11004.jpg
    g 11004.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 747
OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PIC

Attachments

• g 111001.jpg
    g 111001.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 724

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Super sweet coins ya got there, Tinpan! Congrats on breaking that 1840 mark.

Say, could you post a clear pic of the chinese coin in the position I've rotated it to in my pic? I might be able to tell you how old it is.

Attachments

• index[4].jpg
    index[4].jpg
    7 KB · Views: 643
OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi mlw will try take abetter pic of the chinese coin tomorrow and chinese coins are as common as those junky victorian english pennies .there was a major chinese camp about 2 miles up stream.these chinese coins found on the gold fields date between 1750-1900 and have no real worth.they have been found in large numbers.thanks for the reply

tinpan

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Tinpan if you already know how old they are and are finding a lot of them you don't have to take another pic if you don't want to.

There were no chinese villages near my house, so when I dig up one of those they get me all excited and I make 'the face'. I know that most of them aren't worth anything, but those have consistently been the oldest coins I am able to find in my neck of the woods. I found one from circa 940 AD and that is to this day the oldest coin I've ever found.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool! Watch those snakes . Where I grew up there were tons of cotten mouths and gaters. I still catch myself looking out for them.LOL I found one of those French coins over here. Good stuff. Be carefull and HH. ;)

mxtswinger

Jul 27, 2006
Northeast KY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT's Goldscan 5 PI
Very awesome finds TP. CONGRATS! Much luck in the future and don't forget your reptile detector :D

Kevin

M

mchamby

Wow tinpan those are great finds. I am really not out for the value of coins I want to see how many different kinds I can find so when I pass them on to my grandson he will have a little timeline of US coins. I do like that chinese one. Can; you tell me why they have the hole in them, was it to save on the metal??
HH
Mchamby

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi everyone thanks for your replys and answer a few of the questions.first the chinese coins have a hole in them for what reason i dont know but i do know that the chinese use to carry them around on a cord that hang from their belts.Other members have found them in large numbers, like ang found a 150 in one go.i only find as many as 2 or 3 at a time.in the area where i live there where numerous gold rushes between 1849-1920s and people came from all over the world to mine gold and thats why i find a few different types of coins but theres other from different countries i have yet to find.in all the years i have relic digging and m.d i have never found a gold coin or what they call an australian issue colonial coin quite rare. e.g holy dollar or dump.i found a few english and australian and state token but never a local traders token.these are what i,m looking for but yet to find one.
in total i only have about 16 american coins,35 silver english and heeps of australian silver and tons and tons of old coppers good age but no value.and a few german silver and the usuall old relics and bottles.

tinpan still looking for gold ;D ;D ;D

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome TP!

;)

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
gypsyheart said:
Why are chinese coins worthless?

Not *all* chinese coins are worthless, but the common cash coins that you see all the time are worthless for exactly that reason--they are common.  Unlike our US coins where each year and mint is different and has a different mintage, the chinese coins were banged out sometimes for decades with exactly the same coin.  For exampe the Tao-Kwong cash coins were made for thirty years without changing the design.  Imagine if every single US quarter from 1976 to the present were all dated 1976!  That adds up to a lot of the same coin.

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi mlw67,got a better pic of the chinese copper i found and followed by a pic of all 3 chinese coppers found in these area i have been working the past month.thanks for your correction and your right not all chinese coins are worthless but the ones around here are. :( :( :(

tinpan

Attachments

• chinese cooper001.jpg
    chinese cooper001.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 236

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions