Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Friends! :hello:

I was overnight on business in Kingston, ON last night and decided to hit the one and only beach there. It's only about 30' wide x 15' deep and was extremely trashy! :( The beach is actually located behind a factory and is really difficult to find, but with the assistance of a buddy who lives there I found it pretty easily.

I started off by digging a rifle shell, probably a .308 :icon_scratch: I then found a silverplated spoon, the toy plane, a cufflink and assorted change. I did manage to pull a '33 Penny, a '52 Penny, a Chuckie Cheese Token and a "junk" silverplated child's ring. :laughing7:

Thanks for looking and the best of luck to everyone! :thumbsup:

Dave

History of Kingston, Ontario

Kingston, Ontario is a Canadian city located in Eastern Ontario where the St. Lawrence River flows out of Lake Ontario. Originally a First Nations, growing European exploration in the 17th Century made it an important trading post. In order to control the fur trade, French explorer LaSalle founded Fort Frontenac in 1673. Located midway between Toronto and Montreal, Kingston was named the first capital of the Province of Canada on February 15, 1841, by Governor Lord Sydenham. While its time as a political centre was short, Kingston remained an important military installation. Kingston is nicknamed the "Limestone City" because of the many historic buildings built from the local limestone.

The French originally settled here in 1673 and established Fort Cataraqui, later to be called Fort Frontenac. The fort was captured and destroyed by the British in the Battle of Fort Frontenac during the Seven Years' War in 1758. A receiving centre for fleeing refugees from the American Revolution some years later, Kingston became the primary community of southeastern Upper Canada. United Empire Loyalists formed a significant part of an expanding population in the area at the end of the 18th century. Loyalists who had originally sought refuge at Carleton Island during the Revolutionary War arrived at Cataraqui after the area was surveyed in 1783. One of these Loyalists was Molly Brant (the sister of Six Nations Leader Joseph Brant). A large group of Loyalists led by Captain Michael Grass arrived in 1784, having sailed from New York and up the St. Lawrence River. Fort Frontenac was restored to accommodate a military garrison that would defend the new community. Cataraqui was referred to as "the King's Town" or "King's Town" by 1787 in honour of King George III. The name was shortened to "Kingston" in 1788.

During the War of 1812, Kingston was the base for the Lake Ontario division of the Great Lakes British naval fleet which engaged in a vigorous arms race with the American fleet based at Sackett's Harbor, New York for control of Lake Ontario. After the war, Britain built Fort Henry and a series of distinctive Martello towers to guard the entrance to the Rideau Canal. All still exist, and Fort Henry is a popular tourist attraction. Kingston was chosen as the first capital of the united Canadas and served in that role from 1841 to 1844. The first meeting of the Parliament of the United Canadas on June 13, 1841, was held on the site of what is now Kingston General Hospital. The city was considered too small and lacking in amenities, however, and its location made it vulnerable to American attack. Consequently, the capital was moved to alternating locations in Montreal and Toronto, and then later to Ottawa in 1857.

Attachments

• Kingston Beach01.jpg
    Kingston Beach01.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 648
  • June 23 006.jpg
    June 23 006.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 604
  • June 23 008-.jpg
    June 23 008-.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 590
  • June 23 010.jpg
    June 23 010.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 608
  • June 23 004.jpg
    June 23 004.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 639
  • June 23 - Uncleaned.jpg
    June 23 - Uncleaned.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 626
  • Kingston Beach02.jpg
    Kingston Beach02.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 646
  • Kingston City Hall - Built 1843.jpg
    Kingston City Hall - Built 1843.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 639
  • Kingston Waterfront 1890.jpg
    Kingston Waterfront 1890.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 648
Upvote 0

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think .303 british on the shell, but I love that little airplane, I think they called those gee bees.

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wwwtimmcp said:
I think .303 british on the shell, but I love that little airplane, I think they called those gee bees.

Thanks for your help on the shell Tim! I'm not very familiar with shell casings, as I grew up in the city. :laughing7:
It does say "Dominion" on it, but that's all I can read, as it's pretty corroded.

Dave

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
:hello: Pretty good finds Dave for such a small and trashy beach. Glad you gave it the old college try! HH

Desertfox

Chocadog

Feb 3, 2010
Roanoke, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Minelab Safari, Garrett GTI2000, Garrett250
I think I would give that area another go if you get the chance! That little plane is neat, well done, nice find :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tigger said:
And an awesome looking key!! :icon_thumright:

Thanks Tigger!
Too bad it doesn't the lock I found though! :laughing7:

Dave

desertfox said:
:hello: Pretty good finds Dave for such a small and trashy beach. Glad you gave it the old college try! HH

Desertfox

Thanks very much Paul! ;D
Hope you're getting some hunting time in this year? :icon_thumright:

Best of luck to you,
Dave

Chocadog said:
I think I would give that area another go if you get the chance! That little plane is neat, well done, nice find :icon_thumleft:

Thanks for the advice Chocadog! :icon_thumright:

I agree the area has a lot of potential; when I was there a couple of weeks ago I found a number of square nails. The site is actually really big, even though the beach is very small.

Thanks again,
Dave

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice group of finds Dave!
love the 1800s pic, too bad the lake doesn't have tides.
No doubt lots of items were dropped off those piers during transfer :wink:

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Nice loot, Man-o-man I can't believe the flippin Chucky cheese token infestation has moved north of the border :P

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
steelheadwill said:
Nice group of finds Dave!
love the 1800s pic, too bad the lake doesn't have tides.
No doubt lots of items were dropped off those piers during transfer :wink:

Thanks very much Herbie! :thumbsup:

I hear what you're saying about the "Wharf District", unfortunately the area has completely changed today.

Here's a picture of what the area looks like today . . . :'(

Attachments

• Kingston Harbour 2010-crop.jpg
    Kingston Harbour 2010-crop.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 369

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread