Im finally back, and with an awesome first :)

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
I'm finally back, and with an awesome first :)

Well, I'm finally back after a long school year, many major tests that had to take presidency over metal detecting and other things as much as I hate to admit it. But, this is my first weekend with no school following it, and me and my mom had to go to our Nantucket beach house to fix it up for the rest of the year, and I forgot to bring my metal detector >:(
Well, today I was mowing my lawn and I saw a very faint shine in the grass, I bend down to pick it up, there was a thick root going through it. I cut the root and pulled it out, it was a ring, my first ring find ever, without a metal detector :D
It came out of the ground alot duller than it is now just from me handling it, and I don't have a picture of it in the ground because I didn't have anything to take a picture with at the time.
But here it is, wondering how old it is, any help would be appreciated :)

Attachments

• IMG_1873.JPG
    IMG_1873.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_1869.JPG
    IMG_1869.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_1870.JPG
    IMG_1870.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_1871.JPG
    IMG_1871.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_1872.JPG
    IMG_1872.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 518
Upvote 0

Slabman

Jan 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
XLT, Quattro, X-Terra, Sovreign, Whites Goldmaster
Re: I'm finally back, and with an awesome first :)

Very nice! It appears to be a coin ring, but if that is so, the 925 marking is quite curious. :dontknow:

Slab

OP
OP
jdsarasin8194

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA

Slabman said:
Very nice! It appears to be a coin ring, but if that is so, the 925 marking is quite curious. :dontknow:

Slab
what would a coin ring date around? oh and just a thought that i forgot to mention, the width of the ring varries as you rotate it, so was it made with a hammer or something? haha sorry im bad with jewlery :P

Slabman

Jan 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
XLT, Quattro, X-Terra, Sovreign, Whites Goldmaster

Actually, it was probably done with a spoon. They would sit down and start tapping on a silver coin with one of those
old heavy spoons, until it was flattened out, and then drill out the middle. That's why that ridge is on the inside
of the ring. Sometimes you can see a date or some feature that would identify the coin. These were usually done at
home, so that is why the "925" mark is kind of out of place...

Slab

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread