My good deed for the day.

Glenn-RI

Sep 22, 2005
Cranston
Hi everyone,

Last night at the last minute, I decided to go to the beach and do a little detecting. I was there about 45 minutes and out of the corner of my eye I saw these 2 girls about 15 years old. They were about 20 feet away just standing there watching me. So I just kept searching. About a minute later they came up to me and one of them said, Sir.......does that thing just find coins and money or can it find jewelry too? I lost my earring. I asked her if she knew where she lost it. She said yeah, over there and pointed to an area a few hundred feet away. I said if you have a pretty good idea where you lost it, I could look for it for you. I asked her what does it look like. She said two "C"'s going in opposite directions....it's gold with diamonds. So she took me to the area and I started searching. She told me if I find it, she would be with her family and she showed me where she would be. I made about 5 passes in the area and got a signal at about 3 inches. It took me a while to find the target in the sand because I don't have a scoop yet. Sure enough it was the earring. I didn't have my camera with me so I didn't get a picture. I don't know if it was real gold and diamonds but it was a nice earring. I walked over to them and returned it and they couldn't believe I found it. They were very happy! That was the first time anyone has asked me to find something for them. I'm glad it worked out as nice as it did. So then I went back to hunting the beach. I found $3.93 in change and a bullet that says "R P 45 AUTO" on it. I can't believe I found an unfired bullet on a popular beach. I've made a few calls to the local authorities trying to find out what to do with it. I'm still waiting for an answer.

Also, this past Sunday I went to the beach not to detect, but just to relax. (We can't detect at the beach when it's open.) I stopped at a few playgrounds on the way and did a little detecting. I found 91 coins ($5.79) there and 6 loose pearls in the woodchips. I figured the pearls weren't real. However, the playground is in a neighborhood surrounded by million dollar + houses, so I picked them up. While at the beach I also found a neckless by eye. It seems well made with a nice clasp that threads together. It was unthreaded when I found it at the edge of the water.

I ordered a White's PI Pro and a scoop to search the water which should be here in a few days. Hopefully I can find some gold jewelry in the surf. We'll see!!!!......Happy hunting!

Glenn

Attachments

• bullet-8-9-06.jpg
    bullet-8-9-06.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 548
  • neckless-8-6-06.jpg
    neckless-8-6-06.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 556
Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hi Glenn

great job and congrats on furthing the "good side" of our hobby.

Someone posted an earring like this in the past week. If I can find it, I will post a link to their thread and you can verify it is like yours.

Way to go!! Keep finding and sharing all those goodies!

Smiles!
BDoo

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's cool! I helped find some girl's silver heart pendant the other day in a park...took about 3 minutes. Some may think detectorists are wierd, but they sure become friendly when they need you ;)

Nice necklace!

I wouldn't worry about the bullet...they're all over the place.

HH!
TBGO

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Nice job well done on the earring! As for the cartridge, throw it in the trash since you apparently don't have a pistol that it fits. The pearls may very well may be real, it's just too hard to tell without being in hand. HH! and keep 'em comin'.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
KUDOS to you on finding the earring and returning it to the young lady!!!!!!

I have a necklace like that you found....I bought mine in the mid-70's. Actually have two, one looks like that same color you have and another one with darker colors on it. I think those are the ones we use to call chokers...can't remember. (my batteries in my memory bank goes out from time to time LOL).

Oh....you will love that scoop and I found my pin pointer helps me too in the sand. Sometimes, things will fall through the scoop and my detector is telling me something is there...I take my pinpointer and find that VERY TINY piece....found a child's small ladybug earring that way and the initial "A" from a necklace.

Have fun, happy hunting...........Ann

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it feels good to find something for someone when they ask you like that. Most of us have done it many times.

HH,
Sandman

OP
OP
Glenn-RI

Glenn-RI

Sep 22, 2005
Cranston
Thanks everyone,

Boobydoo....As she was describing it, I had remembered seeing one not too long ago. So I figured it was like that one and I had a good idea what I was looking for. It looked just like that one I had seen.

Glenn

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just toss the "bullet" in the trash can. It is harmless unless you beat on it on the flat end, shoot it in a gun or set fire to it. A live gun cartridge is so inert that it isn't even considered an explosive for shipping purposes. In most states except Kalifornia and a couple of others you can have 10,000 rounds or more delivered to your front door if you want to. Monty

OP
OP
Glenn-RI

Glenn-RI

Sep 22, 2005
Cranston
Thanks for all the replies on the bullet and everything else.

TBGO - Yeah, it was an earring that had the same design as that Chanel ring.

Glenn

digman

Jul 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
L-Rods & MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Glenn, very nice,
Happy hunting!!
Digman.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Those interlocking C's, that's a design by Coco Chanel. If it wasn't a knock-off, it was probably real gold and diamonds. You see Chanel all the time on Sex and the City, one of the few shows my wife watches that I can sit through. ;)

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice - I've returned a class ring, but haven't had anyone specifically ask for me to find something for them - but then again I tend to hunt at odd times (very early morning) so I don't run into too many people (just call me antisocial :P).

I wouldn't be surprised if those pearls were real - from the picture they certainly don't look entirely round. I'm no expert when it comes to pearls but my wife likes them - all I can tell you is that if you rub a real pearl against your teeth compared to a fake one, the real one will feel much more "gritty."

One thing about pearls though - usually real pearls are knotted separately on a necklace so that if the necklace breaks, you only lose the one pearl where the break occurred and not all of them. That's not a universal thing though.

Either way sounds like you had fun and you have a new "toy" coming in the mail - sounds to me like with the luck you've had so far both with and without detectors, your new one will have you finding lots and lots of things in the surf!!!

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
I like that necklace. Don't bother calling the police if you find bullets in the future. I find bullets and casings all the time. Gun ownership is legal and people like to target practice. The second amendment says we have the right to own guns so don't sweat it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread