Finds from the Playground / 1880 School House . . . but with a twist!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Happy 4th of July Weekend Everyone! :hello:

I got back for a short 2 hour hunt this afternoon, I immediately headed for the playground side of the old school yard. I've had some pretty decent finds here this week and was hoping to extend my streak by thinking "outside the box" today. So I ventured into the woods next to the playground after having studied the old photograph of the school. I felt there must've been a road at the back of the property at some point in time.

I've included a couple of photographs of what the area looks like now. I started swinging my coil as best I could in the heavy brush and almost immediately got a solid signal at about 4". I thought, "well it's a start, lets see what we have here", since the signal was so strong. My shovel hit metal and I decided to dig around it to get a better look at it since I knew it was pretty big. As I cleared the soil away, I started to see the sides of a metal drum start to take shape. I took a couple more scoops of dirt from inside the barrel and that's when I saw it! It was a leg bone of some type or so I thought. I stopped what I was doing and took a closer look at the bone as it looked very old, as there was no bone marrow left visible. I also noticed some light powdery substance sticking to the bone fragment and in the surrounding dirt.

This is when my CSI Miami TV show detective skills kicked in! :laughing7: I knew there was a reason why I had watched that show so much, I always thought it was because Emily Procter was so hot! :thumbsup: To make a long story shorter, I called the Police and when they finally arrived I showed them what I'd found. They sent the bone off to the local hospital to help tell them if it was human of not. Well it came back that it wasn't human, so they thanked me very much for helping them and left.

Found a cool little Police Commissioners badge and in the same hole was a bakelite mini radio and a metal frame that the radio was set into. I figure this was some kind of kids promotion item that they mailed away for back in the 1940's or 50's. Also found some fake bling earrings, these were about 2' apart buried in the dirt and a part of a car radiator.

Thanks for looking and for taking the time to read all of this! :laughing7:
Dave

Attachments

• July 2 Finds 001.jpg
    July 2 Finds 001.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,590
  • July 2 Finds 005.jpg
    July 2 Finds 005.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,590
  • July 2 Finds 004.jpg
    July 2 Finds 004.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 1,582
  • July 2 Finds 003.jpg
    July 2 Finds 003.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 1,579
  • July 2 Finds 002.jpg
    July 2 Finds 002.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 1,584
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The finds!

Attachments

• July 2 Finds 008.jpg
    July 2 Finds 008.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,539
  • July 2 Finds 007.jpg
    July 2 Finds 007.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,542
  • July 2 Finds 006.jpg
    July 2 Finds 006.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,544
  • July 2 Finds 009.jpg
    July 2 Finds 009.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,546
  • July 2 Finds 011.jpg
    July 2 Finds 011.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,538
  • July 2 Finds 012.jpg
    July 2 Finds 012.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,532
  • July 2 Finds 010.jpg
    July 2 Finds 010.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,464

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG!
Dave, you are The Man. :thumbsup: That is funny. This digging is a dangerous business. :laughing9: Glad it turned out not to be a human bone. :o
Nice job on the finds. You got a great spot there that should keep you busy for some time. I'd hit that wooded area again once the weeds die down.
Congrats on the finds. I like that badge & Bakelite radio.
Happy 4th!
-Doug-

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Do you know how many bones I dig up in the pits???? :tongue3: The police(me) would be busy all day! Well, overtimes not so bad I guess ;D jgas

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Wow the whole squad showed up eh :laughing9:

Guess thats great news, crime must be low in that area.

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
all those cop cars! :laughing9: nice day out Dave!

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better safe than sorry. Good job! And your bling cleaned up nice, fake or not!!!

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
At least you have a matched set of earrings.

Hey jgas: Let the police do the digging for you, just hang close and snag the good stuff! Tax dollars at work, you know.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Tale Dave!
I've seen that bone before, think pig shoulder. Their anatomy is close to Human.
Good to have an intro with the local PD, no more questions, they know what you're doing and that you're a standup citizen.
You've been haulin those finds lately,
Fake or not, nice earrings!
Happy Hunting!!

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Tale Dave!
I've seen that bone before, think pig shoulder. Their anatomy is close to Human.
Good to have an intro with the local PD, no more questions, they know what you're doing and that you're a standup citizen.
Happy Hunting!!

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ModernMiner said:
OMG!
Dave, you are The Man. :thumbsup: That is funny. This digging is a dangerous business. :laughing9: Glad it turned out not to be a human bone. :o
Nice job on the finds. You got a great spot there that should keep you busy for some time. I'd hit that wooded area again once the weeds die down.
Congrats on the finds. I like that badge & Bakelite radio.
Happy 4th!
-Doug-

Hey Doug! :hello:
Thanks for your words of support buddy, they mean a lot! :icon_thumright:
The finds weren't that great yesterday, but I guess we can't find silver every time we go out! :laughing7:
You're right about me having "a great spot there", it's pretty obvious that nobody has detected here before. :thumbsup:

Thanks again Doug and have a great 4th of July!
Dave

jgas said:
Do you know how many bones I dig up in the pits???? :tongue3: The police(me) would be busy all day! Well, overtimes not so bad I guess ;D jgas

I hear you man, but these were the ones I'd ever dug and the site looked kinda suspicious to me. :icon_scratch: The cops were taking it pretty seriously too.

Love seeing your bottle finds buddy! :icon_thumright:
Dave

BobinSouthVA said:
Wow the whole squad showed up eh :laughing9:

Guess thats great news, crime must be low in that area.

It's pretty remote where we were and there have been a couple of bodies or body parts found in the area over the years! :o

Thanks for posting Bob!
Dave

HEAVYMETALNUT said:
all those cop cars! :laughing9: nice day out Dave!

Yup! Just a regular day of hunting here in Ontario! Cops, Blackflies, Ticks and Poison Oak! :laughing7:

Thanks Dave,
Dave

Tigger said:
Better safe than sorry. Good job! And your bling cleaned up nice, fake or not!!!

Thanks Tigger! :thumbsup:
Dave

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
High Plains Digger said:
At least you have a matched set of earrings.

Hey jgas: Let the police do the digging for you, just hang close and snag the good stuff! Tax dollars at work, you know.

:icon_thumright:

zztop357 said:
Better watch the poison oak too!! You have a good crop of it;-)

Thanks for the advice zztop357! :icon_thumright:
I was so busy looking out for poison ivy that I forgot about poison oak! :laughing7:

Dave

steelheadwill said:
Great Tale Dave!
Happy Hunting!!

Thanks very much Herbie! ;D

I thought it might've belonged to a raccoon or another type of large rodent, but I don't know bones. :dontknow:
Of course, in the back of my mind I was praying it wasn't human, it certainly was the right size and shape for a child though. :-\

"Good to have an intro with the local PD, no more questions, they know what you're doing and that you're a standup citizen." I didn't think about that! :thumbsup:

I showed the Sargent a picture of the ring on my cell phone, the same one that I use now as my avatar and his response was . . ."Wow! Maybe I should take up metal detecting!" :laughing7:

Dave

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my digging fears is that I will eventually turn up a body ! Not looking forward to that day. That school is being good to you ! Nice finds :thumbsup: M.R

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man i hope i hear this on the news tonight, (news narrator) "a local metal detectorist stumbled upon some bones wile digging, he used his CSI TV experience to call the police" :laughing7:,
sorry for teasing you, your right about it's better to be safe than sorry, good luck next time.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Dave, I bet your adrenaline was rushing there for a minute: Bone, Metal Drum, and powdery substance.....sounds like someone dumped lye into the barrel to make the body decompose quicker....at least that's what I'd have thought. You did the right thing although they weren't human.....you never know these days.
Nice finds buddy! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
Dang Dave, I bet your adrenaline was rushing there for a minute: Bone, Metal Drum, and powdery substance.....sounds like someone dumped lye into the barrel to make the body decompose quicker....at least that's what I'd have thought. You did the right thing although they weren't human.....you never know these days.
Nice finds buddy! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Thanks for the words of support in regard to my bone finds Josh! :icon_thumright:
I'll do exactly the same thing again too, if I find bones again under such unusual circumstances! :thumbsup:

Dave

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave did the right thing .... :thumbsup:
Do not know why I missed this post. :icon_scratch:
H

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Antiquarian said:
HISPAN said:
Dave did the right thing .... :thumbsup:
Do not know why I missed this post. :icon_scratch:
H

Thanks for your post Hispan! :icon_thumright:
Dave
You should write your username in capital letters not to go unnoticed......you are one of the best and can afford it. :thumbsup:
H

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread