HI MEMBERS GOT MY FIRST..40TH EXCELLERS BUTTON IN LIL OLE N/Z

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer
how you all doing ? great I hope..
I dug a few .577 enfields and shrapnel at an old site here in n/z (circa 1860) I had no joy on buttons so stopped of at a place I had researched and which in the old maori wars of that period had british troops encamped there..so it was all guess work on my part but history didn't let me down..I hit a signal that I was pretty keen on and low and behold at 4" out popped a lil brass button, as i had been digging quite a few old decimal coins I didnt look too hard at it..pow ..four feet away same hit..another one all covered in clay.
I had to pick up the wife so let the final inspection till i got home..she heard me yell ..u beauty..the 40th,,the excellers that were one of the foremost regiments in our country and featured in some of our major battles in that period..they came from Ausrtalia in 1860 and departed in 1866..i am rapt..thanks for stopping by and reading...take care des...

Attachments

• DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    325.5 KB · Views: 560
  • DSCF0007.JPG
    DSCF0007.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 560
  • DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    580.1 KB · Views: 550
Upvote 0

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:hello2:
Nice finds Des! I really like the 40th buttons--I bet you were stoked when they popped out!
Keith

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back :hello:

Good to get something you like, & don't forget to call your wife a beauty from time to time, she may chuck your buttons :laughing9:

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good one cuz, nice finds - glad to see you still operating even though it's winter :icon_thumleft: Nuggy

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice frigging button!!! MR TUFF

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it seems you have found what is considered a national treasure in Australia 2nd/40th [Second Somersetshire Regiment This regiment fought the gold miners at the stand of the "Eureka Stockade"

i,m just blown away by your find tinpan BANNER PLEASE

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 290

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
tinpan said:
Well it seems you have found what is considered a national treasure in Australia 2nd/40th [Second Somersetshire Regiment This regiment fought the gold miners at the stand of the "Eureka Stockade"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Csgt_40th_1881.jpg
I had never heard of Somersetshire, only Somerset as its now known. Did a little research, as I thought you were barking mad :laughing9: :
'The archaic county name Somersetshire is first mentioned in the Chronicle's entry for 878. Although "Somersetshire" had been in common use as an alternative name for the county, it went out of fashion in the late 19th century, and is no longer used.'

Learn something everyday on here.

Hi crusader After looking at your reply i wonder if you don,t live in "County Stupid" My research is based on accounts of persons present at these events. County and shire have the same meaning. Shire is word used then and today in this part of world. Nice pic of a Red coat from 1881 but there was no British Regiments in Australia or New Zealand after 1870. To correct a person who hunts sites related to these events is plain silly. ;D ;D ;D

tinpan

OP
OP
Des from down under

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
tinpan said:
CRUSADER said:
tinpan said:

I had never heard of Somersetshire, only Somerset as its now known. Did a little research, as I thought you were barking mad :laughing9: :
'The archaic county name Somersetshire is first mentioned in the Chronicle's entry for 878. Although "Somersetshire" had been in common use as an alternative name for the county, it went out of fashion in the late 19th century, and is no longer used.'

Hi crusader After looking at your reply i wonder if you don,t live in "County Stupid" My research is based on accounts of persons prseesent at these events. County and shire have the same meaning. Shire is word used then and today in this part of world. Nice pic of a Red coat from 1881 but there was no British Regiments in Australia or New Zealand after 1870. To correct a person who hunts sites related to these events is plain silly. ;D ;D ;D

tinpan LUV YA BOTH !!! BEST YOU GET BOTH GET YOUR BUTTS OVER HERE AN STAY WITH ME FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS ..MAYBE GET TINPAN HIS FIRST N/Z 40TH..AND CRUSADER A HANGOVER....GAURANTEED .THIS SITE IS ALL ABOUT YOU GUYS...ME...IM A LONER CAUSE NO ONE I KNOW DOES IT AROUND HERE..( but I reckon I can find some more 40th..tell ya what tin pan..If I find another couple if you want i will send you one for zilch..my promise...des

OP
OP
Des from down under

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
I ALWAYS STUFF UP MY REPLY..but think you will suss it on last reply..regards des

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
tinpan said:
CRUSADER said:
tinpan said:

Hi crusader After looking at your reply i wonder if you don,t live in "County Stupid" My research is based on accounts of persons present at these events. County and shire have the same meaning. Shire is word used then and today in this part of world. Nice pic of a Red coat from 1881 but there was no British Regiments in Australia or New Zealand after 1870. To correct a person who hunts sites related to these events is plain silly. ;D ;D ;D

tinpan

When you have some history to learn, let me know, this modern stuff, I don't bother with ;D

All rare minerals and stones come from ground , so which part of that history does your country have.What is the oldest culture in Britain? :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: How small did say your biggest feild is :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: Ancient is word you couldn,t use :laughing9:

tinpan

OP
OP
Des from down under

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
storm hittn here right now...buckle up...hope it dont send my buttons too deep...take care you lot...brrrrrrrrr....

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Des from down under said:
storm hittn here right now...buckle up...hope it dont send my buttons too deep...take care you lot...brrrrrrrrr....

I should have known better than to rattle tinnys pan. Its not appropriate on your thread, so deleted my silliness (sorry). My point was that I actually learnt something from this which is a positive thing. Keep posting them :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread