silver ingot?

slykatt13

May 16, 2009
ny
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 50/minelab safari
so i was searching an old farm..i do believe the last owners were in the 1950s..no more house just the silo..was headed into my third hour of hunting...LOTTSA trash!!!!got to the back of the property and discovered what i believe is a blacksmiths melting cup..sorry i did not get a pic of it..(i will be going back to retrieve the relic)..the "bowl" is about an inch thick handle is about 2 1/2 ft. long....workin my way back towards the front of the farm i start digging lottsa what appears to be melted metal blobs..lead, iron, piece of what i believe is pewter...then i dig a very dirty chunk of metal with the "star" on it...loaf shaped with rounded edges on bottom...one end is melted and one end is cut...it made my machine scream. silver dollar signal every swipe.threw it in my pouch thinking it was a lead ingot of sorts..when i got home and was looking at the object, i gave the top a swipe with some spit on my thumb....oooooooo ahhhhhhh shiny...sorry my digital cam doesnt take the best closeups. ........oh yeah...forgot to mention way to hard to be lead..gonna have it checked...2.67 oz.

Attachments

• silver ingot 004.JPG
    silver ingot 004.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 707
  • silver ingot 003.JPG
    silver ingot 003.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 706
  • silver ingot 002.JPG
    silver ingot 002.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 715
  • silver ingot 001.JPG
    silver ingot 001.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 705
Upvote 0

treecheker

Jul 7, 2011
I believe what you found is Babbett which is lead based and used for a bearing material. It is melted and cast around a shaft or other area that needs a bearing.

OP
OP
S

slykatt13

May 16, 2009
ny
Detector(s) used
treecheker said:
I believe what you found is Babbett which is lead based and used for a bearing material. It is melted and cast around a shaft or other area that needs a bearing.
total possibity..it is surprizingly heavy for the size...i will get it checked this weekend.....thanks for destroying my hopes and dreams of finding an 1800s silver ingot right off the bat.....hahaha :tongue3: lol... the more i look at it the more i think you may be right...thankx for the input

drgeorge

May 25, 2008
Pálháza
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Int'l)
treecheker said:

Awwww, too bad! :-\
I was really rooting for you!!! :hello2:
Maybe next time--keep it up and HH!!! :hello:

xmarks73

Jan 1, 2011
S.E Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Ace 250, and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol, cool find. I found a full bar of that stuff. was freaking out. could it be silver, platinum oh my? It was a lot of fun. Mine turned out to be babbett as well. A local MDer shop owner confirmed and showed me one he had. Very collectable though. Good luck, hope yours turns out to be the real deal! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
S

slykatt13

May 16, 2009
ny
Detector(s) used
drgeorge said:
treecheker said:

Awwww, too bad! :-\
I was really rooting for you!!! :hello2:
Maybe next time--keep it up and HH!!! :hello:
not sure yet whether its a bar or a babbett

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions