Found box marked Navajo Trade Tokens

foundatreasure

Jul 8, 2011
I stumbled on this site trying to research a treasure find. I hope it is OK to post for other than a find with a metal detector. I own one but haven't used it yet!

Anyway, found a sealed box(at a thrift store) that is marked "Navaho(sic) Trade Tokens\Sterling 1810's 3429B(a catalog number?)

I've never seen such things before & wondered if anyone new anything about them.

Looks like there is about 20 items in the box. It is sealed so I didn't think I should open it as it looks very old itself.

Appears there is a crude Bull, a Donkey, a Kneeling person, 2 heads that look like Native American person on a buffalo head nickel, 3 other (female?) heads that remind me of a liberty dime & about 12 stick people. The 12 stick people have similar hash marks on them like a number sign # but with only 1 vertical line. They are all a little different. On the non-stick people, didn't see any marks.

Any info is appreciated!

Attachments

• token1.jpg
    token1.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 1,009
Upvote 0

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't have any info but they are cool to me. I'm kinda new here too but welcome to TreasureNet.

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
Welcome to T-net. :hello2:

Lots of smart folk around here, am sure someone will come along shortly.

Where it was found might help also.

How much was it, if I may ask >?

Mrs Bloom

Nov 3, 2007
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Welcome to T-Net :hello:
Interesting find and hope to read more about this in follow up posts.
We all learn so much from each other on here!
Happy hunting :icon_thumright:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice score foundatreasure! :notworthy:

I can't say for sure about the tokens, but the frame alone is
really old and probably worth a C note on it's own! :thumbsup:

I'd like to recommend that you email a photo to:

Bruce Shackelford
P.O.Box 15707,
San Antonio, TX

Email: [email protected]

Best of luck to you, because if those are real . . . they're going to be worth a lot! :notworthy:

Dave

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If they are from the 1800's and genuine I would venture to say that they are worth something ??? Just have to find the right person to spark their interests. Good luck on IDing them and keep us informed

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum! Those really are interesting, let us know if you find out anything. HH, Mike

OP
OP
F

foundatreasure

Jul 8, 2011
buckshot said:
Hey, Welcome to t-net. They appear to be Milagros charms. I don't know if you could tell for sure if they were native american cast pieces, unless there are some type of specific hallmarks/makers marks on them? and a more certain provinance about their origin.

You hit a home run; not so much for me!

Found the exact match on eBay to 3 of my charms in a lot of 30 asking for $6.95 with no bids. If I am lucky they will actually be sterling & would have some scrap value. Makes sense on what they are as I am in a Hispanic area.

Thanks!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff ! My recommendation is to telephone the Morning Star gallery in Santa Fe , New Mexico ,
try to reach Vanessa - they are experts on Southwest Native Americana - - Santa Fe is a major hub
for native silversmithing - and there is no shortage of expertise with regard to items such as yours .
all of the items you are displaying appear to have been cast , by a method known as tuffa casting ,
which employs the use of a volcanic ash sediment (tuffa ) which is carved to receive the molten silver .
I would not open this case if indeed it is still sealed , provenance is key to value !!! The accompanying
note is very important !!!! Please keep us/me - posted, as to what you discover about this - this
is one of the more unique finds I have seen posted here . I cannot tell you how rare pre tourist period ,
Navajo silver work is - I have lived in Santa Fe for almost 40 years , and have seen all manner of silver
of native manufacture - I have never seen any thing like this trove - please pursue this aggressively ,
If you run into a roadblock information wise , do please pm me , I will find a way to help you get this
in front of some heavy weight experts on early Navajo silver , sincerely - Argentium.

OP
OP
F

foundatreasure

Jul 8, 2011
Argentium said:
Great stuff ! My recommendation is to telephone the Morning Star gallery in Santa Fe , New Mexico ,
try to reach Vanessa - they are experts on Southwest Native Americana - - Santa Fe is a major hub
for native silversmithing - and there is no shortage of expertise with regard to items such as yours .
all of the items you are displaying appear to have been cast , by a method known as tuffa casting ,
which employs the use of a volcanic ash sediment (tuffa ) which is carved to receive the molten silver .
I would not open this case if indeed it is still sealed , provenance is key to value !!! The accompanying
note is very important !!!! Please keep us/me - posted, as to what you discover about this - this
is one of the more unique finds I have seen posted here . I cannot tell you how rare pre tourist period ,
Navajo silver work is - I have lived in Santa Fe for almost 40 years , and have seen all manner of silver
of native manufacture - I have never seen any thing like this trove - please pursue this aggressively ,
If you run into a roadblock information wise , do please pm me , I will find a way to help you get this
in front of some heavy weight experts on early Navajo silver , sincerely - Argentium.

THANK YOU! I will do it & post what I learn. FYI, I have a thread at "What is it" & "American Indian Artifacts" as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread