vintage bike head badge

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my 2nd vintage bicycle head badge last week. This one is a "Goodyear Hi-way Patrol, built by Columbia". Its from the 50's possibly early 60's. It was in a park that was established some time between 1926 and 1944. I didn't find anything else of interest there-If the park was cleaned out by md'ers, it's strange they missed this badge. I briefly checked a small traffic circle park that had a plaque planted in it that said it was established in 1952, donated by a developer. I checked around the stone plinth, but if anybody dropped any coins while installing or possibly dedicating the plaque, they were gone. But under a tree by a bench I found this vintage Utah Radio badge. Sorry you can't read the whole thing, it also says "Cabinet by Maurice." I looked up Utah Radio on-line, and they were active in the 40's.

Attachments

• hiway patrol goodyear badge w.JPG
    hiway patrol goodyear badge w.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 798
  • utah radio web.jpg
    utah radio web.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 728
Upvote 2

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Really Cool!!
I collect old motorcycles and have some bicycle stuff also. A few of those badges are pretty collectable. The Schwinn bikes of course, but if you find an Excelsior (Excelsior-Henderson Motorcycle co.), then you've got a whopper.
I'm also an old time radio show fan. I have Sirius satelite radio just for the radio classics station. There are many collectors for those as well.
Great stuff!!

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the neat relics. :icon_thumright: Very cool.

Keep digging!

OP
OP
scaupus

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
littlebill31 said:
Really Cool!!
I collect old motorcycles and have some bicycle stuff also. A few of those badges are pretty collectable. The Schwinn bikes of course, but if you find an Excelsior (Excelsior-Henderson Motorcycle co.), then you've got a whopper.
I'm also an old time radio show fan. I have Sirius satelite radio just for the radio classics station. There are many collectors for those as well.
Great stuff!!
As a point of interest, I have found 2 other badges. One, was a head badge from a Rollfast bicycle, ca. 1930's, I sold on eBay. The other is a silver badge from a Marmon luxury auto, ca. 1920's.

It's kind of strange I've found three transportation badges metal detecting. They don't seem to be that common a find.

I'm not sure what you collect regarding radio classics. Do you collect recordings of the old shows?

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Actually I just listen to the satelite radio station (Sirius, XM radio) that plays them. I enjoy the old classic radio shows.
I meant that the radio consoles are highly collected and the badges are collected.
You're lucky finding so many, they're neat.

lazabert

May 11, 2015
Broad Brook, ct
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE 250 & 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love it-- found one myself-- it's in todays finds-- i believe it to be 1916 female bike but not sure --model number is not clear

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some nice bicycle relics. Looks like you were even able to make the dig without damaging them.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IT MUST BE BIKE WEEK ..... NEAT.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread