Iron Man, Arrowheads, Silver and MONKEYS!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Iron Man, Arrowheads, Silver and MONKEYS!

Greetings fellow T-netters, Metal Detector...ists... and dirt fiends! I See the posts being made here and for weeks have been envying those of you who were able to get out and indulge in this hobby of ours. I’ve followed the tales of intrigue and suspense and reveled in the finds shared by one and all. Alas... vicarious or not, I’d rather be out detecting myself instead of sharing second hand what everyone else is doing. <stamping foot petulantly> “I WANNA HAVE FUN TOO !!!” <grin>
Well it’s the same old story... from me anyway... It’s either the weather not cooperating or too much work (on the job) or other priorities claiming my free time that have kept me away from this wonderful past time we share. Perhaps not entirely... “kept me away” that is. I’ve still managed to get out for some very short hunts here and there, and a couple of hour long hunts over the past several weeks as well. It’s just I’ve not had that free time I spoke of to document these hunts and get them posted to share with others here. Well By Golly I did today! I MADE time to go through my finds bag and sort out the chaff from the treasures, took pictures, rolled coins, even actually wrote (writing now that is) some witty repartee to accompany my somewhat confusing photos. So... away we go!
I know I’m not the only one on here that is VERY familiar with sneaking in a few minutes to hunt here and there throughout a busy week or three. You all get that Jones’ing feeling, that itch that needs to be scratched by picking up your machine and swinging a while looking for lost or hidden treasures. Maybe you just salivate when you hear that sweet tone in your headphones that indicates a nice solid... tantalizing target just under your coil. That giddy feeling you get when you dig a plug and out pops a coin or even better... some gold or silver object. TREASURE! Cha-Ching! Anyway... so when I say that I was needing to scratch that old familiar itch I KNOW you KNOW what I mean. I think. <giggle> I scratched a few times over the past few weeks as I’ve mentioned already, as I tend to get long winded on even the shortest of outings (writing about it) I’ll not recount each and every little jaunt made in this posting. I’ll just kind of lump them all together... like recalling a pleasant dream.
All dreams have ...uh... characters in them. This one has several. Oh sure some are familiar.. some not so much. It’s always a surprise what you run across while out metal detecting. Keeping your eyes open will find you a LOT more items in your finds bag than just the occasional coin of piece of scrap metal. Sometimes it will find you IRON! As in an Iron Horse... or an IRON MAN...Shooting Iron..uh.. shells...Space ship parts... Clothes Hangars... oh and Purple Monkeys! <laughing> No. The sun had not gotten to me, yet. Those were all plastic toys found in the parks I’ve been hunting. I found them before the lawn mowers found them at least.

Plastic toys.JPG

You see... I was keeping my eyes open... and keeping my glasses wiped clear of sweat and dust. From the looks of these finds, someone else WASN’T taking care of their peepers... or their specs anyway.

Specs.JPG

Keeping your eyes open is the KEY to finding stuff other than just with your detector. And you WILL find stuff. Everyday kind or usual kinds of finds and every now and then some rather UNusual kinds of finds...

Hotel keycard Bungee.JPG

Key cards? It was a first for me anyway. Now regular keys I’ve found a bunch of... and I found a couple over the past few weeks too... and a keychain too.

Keys and Keychain.JPG

More usual finds , with or without the detector’s help, would be the crap and scrap that people so heedlessly discard. Sad really, but it’s everywhere you go... or at least everywhere people like that go anyway.

junk comp.jpg

Sometimes I think they discard stuff (pitch it or toss it or whatever) ... sometimes I think they truly lost it by accident... which would explain the great many coins we find... <grin> I highly suspect that most people in their right minds aren’t “pitching or tossing” away their coins by choice. Anyway, some Usual and Unusual finds are found in close proximity... like these two lighters.

Lighters Comp.jpg

Yeah, most of our finds are more likely from accidental loss by their former owners. Perhaps it was a malfunction or breakage that caused the object to be lost.... a chain breaking, a loop snapping, a wrist sweating. Who knows? I have found and continue to find all kinds of “Junque” bling in the parks where I detect. Cheap, broken, worthless, but still a blast to find and dig up... or pick up off the ground.

Junque Comp.jpg

Occasionally I find something in the bling department that isn’t Junque... cheap or worthless baubles or bangles. Sometimes I find something good! But then, I’m easy to impress anyway.. <laughing> Last week I unearthed a smallish little pendant. Perhaps it was part of an earring but I suspect it was a pendant just by the weight of the thing. Two settings in it, a Pinky Nail sized clear greenish blue stone (or glass) that looks an awful lot like Aquamarine. The second, smaller, not so much cut as polished, not the same material I think. <shrug>

Pendant  comp.jpg

Yup.. SILVER... always nice to find, no matter how small or big it might be. And every once in a while, again, if you are keeping your eyes open, you find something that just makes you wonder and say “Huh”. An Arrowhead. A GREEN arrowhead. ON TOP of the grass. I suspect it was not an ancient loss, at least not where I found it. More likely it was a recent loss from some kid who got it elsewhere. I’m no expert by any stretch of the imagination. I have found points and blades and even true arrowheads when I was a kid growing up and working the farm, or visiting other farms and the like, but I’ve never seen a green one like this. It looks authentic, not much wear on it though, and it’s not broken so perhaps it might be a reproduction. An expert would have to tell me one way or the other, but It’s still a neat find.

Arrowhead comp.jpg

Some kid monkeying around with Dad’s old arrowhead collection maybe? Seems to be a LOT of monkeying around in my area the last few weeks. Kids monkeying around, Purple Monkeys... and even some MONKEY coins! Joe’s Monkey... or was it Monkey Joe’s ? <grin> Tokens to be precise. What a kick it is to find them now and then. Some, the two Monkey tokens, were on the surface, the “Kid’s Place” Token was a couple of inches down in the soil. The Referee’s Decision Toss Coin (tosser coin) was found about three inches down under the grass roots. It’s another one of several identical toss coins I’ve found at that park (Soccer complex) Well the others were in better shape I suppose but they are still a “Kick” to find and recover. I’ll not complain about it.

Tokens comp.jpg

Often the Coins that the Ref’s use for their “Decision Toss” coins aren’t “official” coins... they are large Legal Tender coins... fifty cent pieces, or Dollar coins. I found a couple earlier this week, within twenty feet of one another. One Sacagawea Dollar and one George Washington Presidential Dollar coin. Both had been in the dirt a while. But now they are free, if not clean. <grin>

Dollar coins.JPG

The Indian maiden and the First president will be in good company to be sure. Over the past few weeks my finds bag has accumulated quite a few coins dug up while detecting. I can’t say that I hit the motherload or anything like that, I had some good outings and some not so productive as far as numbers of coins go, but never did I get skunked. Call it luck or a good detector.. or even, and this is amazing if true.. “Skill”. <grin> I’m humble enough to know I still have things to learn, but I’d like to think , too, that I have learned and earned SOME small amount of skill along the way. Maybe it’s that I’m just stubborn enough to keep looking till I find something. <laughing> Whatever the case may be, the clad and coinage adds up over time.

Clad.JPG

Another fine pile of mostly dirty, some corroded and dissolving coins to be counted and rolled and put into the vacation fund. It certainly lightened up my finds bag. Now I can detect in a straight line again rather than an arcing curve to the right because I’m leaning to the right due to the weight of coins and treasures in my finds bag! Maybe I should buy a box of gallon or quart sized zip lock bags and empty my finds bag after each outing. I could write the date and/or location on the bags so that I could remember what I found and where.. and when.. That way when I don’t have a chance to document and photograph my finds or post online for a few weeks I still be organized...... NAHHHH... what fun is that? <laughing> Here’s hoping that the rest of you are still having fun, getting out and pursuing happiness via this hobby. It’s SUMMERTIME! Dig while the Digging is GOOD! All too soon it’ll be cold and frozen again (for a great many of us anyway). And, as always...

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Upvote 0

shack24

May 26, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gta 500; Garrett Ace 350; Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't it amazing what people drop/leave/lose? Quite an assorment of stuff you found. I have been going to a freshwater beach area near me and I'll go really early in the morning before the park cleanup crew arrives. It's crazy what people just leave behind. I usually always come back with some kind of toy for my 3 year old. He loves it!
Nice silver!!!

HH
Jared

rocknrolldad

May 14, 2011
Central Pa
Detector(s) used
AT PRO,ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found one of those Sacagawea dollars yesterday. Congrats on a bunch of nice finds.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
allen said:
you did really well for those short hunts .
Any of that from Masterson Station park?

A great deal of that was from Masterson Station Park... it's close to home and usually not too crowded when I can get out to detect. A lot of it was from smaller parks though.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
worldtalker said:
Ya gotta hitTHE BIG ONE SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!
"The Big One"... hmm... that would be a nice big OLD silver coin? Perhaps a GOLD coin? <grin> I've found a little gold jewelery, and quite a bit of silver bling here and there, but so far not many old coins or big gold bling. I'm sure I'll be suitably excited when it happens but I'm for now I'm happy with any find I make. I have no problems with digging up clad, clad, and more clad.... it goes a long way to paying for gas, batteries and hotel stays when I go on vacation! <grin> The only complaint I have is that I don't get enough time to endulge in this hobby that I've become oh so addicted to. <smile> Oh well, I'll enjoy whatever time I get when I get it.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Post!
Thanks for showing us your digs, isn't just pulling those targets a hoot, even if they aren't the motherlode ;D
I've always loved Silver.. Gold is great, but there's something about the sound, feel,
and look of silver that floats my boat :wink:
Congrats on your finds, Looking forward to seeing more :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
steelheadwill said:
Great Post!
Thanks for showing us your digs, isn't just pulling those targets a hoot, even if they aren't the motherlode ;D
I've always loved Silver.. Gold is great, but there's something about the sound, feel,
and look of silver that floats my boat :wink:
Congrats on your finds, Looking forward to seeing more :thumbsup:

I too like silver. Only silver and gold seem to come out of the ground with nearly the same luster as when it was lost wheneverlong ago. Obviously silver will tend towards tarnish a bit more than gold, but NOTHING like our modern clad. I'm happy to find any silver, be it a coin, a ring, a pendant or charm or any piece or part of a bit of bling. I don't care how good or how slow a hunt has been, a bit of silver will put a smile on my face and an exclamation point on the day's outting. <smile>

~Happy Hunting~

Frodov

AMorgan

Feb 22, 2008
Houston Texas
I think its safe to say that the arrowhead is a reproduction. The material is green moss agate from India. I know a knapper who uses it to make arrowheads with and its one of those types of material that is unmistakable.

Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 with Bounty Hunter Headphones and TX-2002 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Frodov, its good to see your posts again. I haven't been here in a while. Like you, between the weather, work and what have you's there isn't much time for hunting or posting. But I purely enjoy reading your posts. They say a picture is worth a thousand words and you've posted plenty with more than 1600 words that describes yours and ours enjoyment of this hobby. Thanks for the posts and Happy Hunting to ya, :hello:

Yard Digger

ZINCLID

Apr 2, 2010
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of claddies,JUNKERS, AND A NEAT ARROWHEAD----May the search ever be interesting! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
ZINCLID said:
Lots of claddies,JUNKERS, AND A NEAT ARROWHEAD----May the search ever be interesting! :laughing7:

Ever intersting indeed... that's the thing about this Hobby... you may set off to find one thing in particular, be it a silver coin or someone's lost ring (favors)... but you never know what you're going to turn up. If anyone has been there at some point in the past, then chances are more than likely that they drop, discarded, or lost something there. You might be hunting a long abandoned farm field or the newest neighborhood playground down the street or an old Victorian era home (yard), I can almost garauntee that there will be something found that will surprise you. Delightful! <smile> It makes this hobby all that much more fun if you ask me. I'm hooked!

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
Another awesome post FRODOV I am sure the others on T-net get just as much out of your post as I do congrats on making me laugh once again. (I'll be a monkey's uncle ) Rob :coffee2:

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
AMorgan said:
I think its safe to say that the arrowhead is a reproduction. The material is green moss agate from India. I know a knapper who uses it to make arrowheads with and its one of those types of material that is unmistakable.

I thought the Green material was a little out of place for this area (Central Kentucky) So even if it was a legitimate relic I figured it had to have come from somewhere else. That was one reason I speculated that it was perhaps borrowed from someone's collection or even purchased somewhere else before ultimately being lost here in my stomping grounds and eventually discovered by your's truly. I leaned more towards it being a reproduction however, as stated, it's too pristine, not broken or showing any wear. Even BIG ceremonial points or blades that have been found tend to show some wear from if nothing else, being in the soil for who knows how long... hundreds or thousands of years?
Whatever the real story is, I was both intrigued and delighted to have found it. It was one of those " Oh COOL! " moments that we detectorist get to enjoy while out detecting. <smile>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
allen said:
Frodov should be a writer for the newspaper,
he has a way with words for certain ! :thumbsup:

I've been told before that I should take up writing... never has newspaper writing been suggested though. Probably wouldn't do too well as a newpaper writer however... They like their articles to be short and sweet.. I tend to ramble on and on and not know when to stop at times. <grin> see? doing it again right now. Anyway, thanks for the compliment all the same.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread