Another Class Ring Being Returned To Owner

jblank37

May 13, 2006
I know that some of you have read my story about me finding a class ring that had been lost for 32 years and finding the owner all in one day.
The owner of this ring sent me a very nice reward.

The original story can be read here:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,41590.0.html

Also White's was interested enough in this to post it on their website at this location:
http://www.whiteselectronics.com/auguststories06w.php#johnark

And now for this story:
A few days later back at the same swimming area, I find another class ring. This one is dated 1966. It is from a school in the same town as the swimming area. I call the school and they give me names of two students from that year. One of the names match all three initials. The other name they did not know the middle initial. The school has no idea where either one may be after all these years. I start by looking in the phone book. No luck. I then go to the internet and pull up some search engine. I can not even remember which one it was. I do remember that it was a free one. This has been over a month ago. Anyway I type in the name using the middle initial and also the city and low and behold up pops one name, address, and phone number. I start calling and saying to myself that this would not be anything short of a miracle if this turned out to be the right person. I do not get an answer. I keep calling off and on for about 2 to 3 weeks. Never no answer. I did not know what else to do. I guess I had about given up. This morning after about 2 weeks, I was setting in the recliner with my note book next to me on the lamp table. I thought about the ring again and decided that I would give it one more try. I called and on the second ring a lady answered. I told her who I was and that I was looking for this person. She told me that he was on another phone at the time and could she have him call me back in a few minutes. I said sure. A little while later he called. After telling him who I was, I asked him where he went to school. He told me and that matched the ring. I asked him what year and that matched the ring. I then asked him if he had ever lost anything that he received from high school. He told me that he had lost a class ring at a swimming party right after he had got it. He also told me that he had lost it at the very place I found it. I told him that I had some good news for him, that I had his class ring. After 40 years, he could not believe it. He lives less than fifty miles away. I am meeting with him this coming Friday.

The reason for no answer for such a long time, they had been on vacation.

I know that I have been very lucky on these two class rings. I have two more that I have had no luck at all. One is a lady's with a date of 1970. The other appears to be a man's with a date of 1945.

I hope that I have not bored all of you with another long post. I wanted to say it like this so as to maybe better what all of you know is a fantastic hobby.

Friends, John

Attachments

• 1966classring.jpg
    1966classring.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 614
Upvote 0

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love it , it sends chills down my spine cause I want to return a lost ring too.. I have to find 1 first though...

GOTTA LOVE THIS HOBBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i found my second the other day,,,,, from the school i went to. had no luck on the first, but i hope to return this one........

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did good! ;) Love the story John.

Nana ;)

randall61

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2004
Guntersville,Alabama
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x2,viper trident
good deeds are always worth a read ,not enough of them...got to feel good to bring some joy in folks life.
congrats......i have an old class ring ,but no date or names or anything,it has a loop on the top for a chain.
I was told in the old days girls would wear their rings around their necks and their boyfriends on their finger.
thought about donating it to the school ...its a rocks throw away......believe it or not found it julia roberts
grandmothers yard in smyrna,ga not hers tho she went to cambell high. any way to go :)

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what it is all ABout!! :) :) :) :) Keep doing what you are doing. ;)

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
wow i wish i could find one too return to someone .I am pretty sure one day i will.Ahhhh.. the feeling of helping is SO great !

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked your stories and hope you find the owner of your latest find.

I have returned several class rings during my years of metal detecting.

One of my class rings that I returned last year, was from the class of 1946.
His class Reunion was just this last July. He had lost the ring in a boat swim
area and that is where I found it and returned it to the gentleman, who is now
76 years old. He also sent me a very nice reward, of which I didn't not want, but
he insisted. He gave me two proof sets from last year.

Another ring I returned was to a man who was 8 years old when he lost it.
It was his mother wedding ring. He had been playing with it and stuck it into
his bib overalls and went to school, a wooden school. He lost the ring there and
70 years later I found it for him. He said he lost the ring in the lower area of the
play grounds and that's where I found it, in a bean field. The school has been torn
down for many years.

Every ring that can be returned, should be. It is always a great feeling to return
a ring. Some times people are not always grateful, but for the most part they are.

HH, Ringfinder

scoutjim99

Sep 2, 2005
Greenville NOrth Craolina
great job , it has to Be the ultimate high to see how it makes these people feel that after all those years Someone has found it and they make the effort to find them .. great story i would love to hear more of this on the news instead of thsi garbage we hear to day.. Keep up the good work and keep posting I for one Will Always read and Appreciate a good story like this..

garrettfan2

Jul 24, 2006
dallas ft worth
the ring i was able to find was a class ring from 2007. the boy didnt even graduate and lost his ring. also i didnt find it with the detector but rather with my eyes while swinging the detector. an eye find. tracked him down in 4 weeks and returned it in person. awesome experience.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post and story, people like you sure give the hobby a good reputation! HH, Mike

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Congrats big time for doing the right thing
and bringing joy to another person.
You will be rewarded in many ways
and I for one thing you are an awesome person!!

Thanks for posting this inspirational story
and best of luck and continued success to you!

Smiles!
BDoo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread