Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all,

I just finished up settling into my new place in California from Ohio. Had a little time last night to do a little hunting on Base. Found 3 buttons. The shiny one I know is not old but the flat button is from the WW2 Marine Corps Herringbone service uniform were marked, "U.S. Marine Corps" The other one I'm not sure how old it is since the Marines had the same design forever. No markings on the back. Appears to have a little guild on the front. It appears to be copper or brass. Found 2 wheats (1950's) and the usual clad.

004-40.jpg

005-39.jpg

006-38.jpg

007-39.jpg

008-37.jpg

Here is a link to the WW2 Button on the Marine Corps Issue Herringbone uniform

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW2-USMC-MARINE-CORPS-HERRINGBONE-TWILL-TROUSERS-/390318412619

Upvote 0

bofusmosby

Apr 28, 2011
Tampa Florida
Detector(s) used
Many many different ones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Marine buttons have changed very little over the years. At a glance, I would say that this is a newer one, but the back-marks are the best way to determine the time period. Clean off the back, and post what it says. This might tell us what you have.

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
Good to se you getting out again Ron, nice stuff . Got to be a lot there if your digging wheaties Rob :coffee2:

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear you are situated and moved in. HH, Mike

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron,
Glad to see you settled in and posting again. Nice WW2 button. :thumbsup:
I hope you are enjoying the Pacific now and that beautiful Calif weather you lucky Dog. :laughing9:
-Doug-

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ModernMiner said:
Ron,
I hope you are enjoying the Pacific now and that beautiful Calif weather you lucky Dog. :laughing9:
-Doug-

Thanks Doug. I'll keep you in mind for some See's candy. There is one 2 miles away Best regards, Ron

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crazyjarhead said:
ModernMiner said:
Ron,
-Doug-

Thanks Doug. I'll keep you in mind for some See's candy. There is one 2 miles away Best regards, Ron
That's right, rub it in. :laughing9:

bclark

Jun 27, 2007
Daytona Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Whites Bullseye II
Equinox 800/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button. I dont think it is a newer one. I never seen a back like that one on any newer uniforms. I was in 10 years and still have my uniforms and I also have a vietnam era Marine uniform (utilities) and a WWII era dress blue blouse and trousers. I am starting to piece it together with buttons and ribbons and my goal is to donate it to the military museum here. I dont have a button to compare it to but the newer buttons do not have a back with Marine Corps stamped on it.

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bclark said:
Nice button. I dont think it is a newer one. I never seen a back like that one on any newer uniforms. I was in 10 years and still have my uniforms and I also have a vietnam era Marine uniform (utilities) and a WWII era dress blue blouse and trousers. I am starting to piece it together with buttons and ribbons and my goal is to donate it to the military museum here. I dont have a button to compare it to but the newer buttons do not have a back with Marine Corps stamped on it.

Any help obtaining anything let me know. I have found 2 of these buttons so far and a 1940's Emblem. I have 100 % access to Base priveledges as I am retired so I may be able to help you find some hard to get items. Regards, Ron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread