I found a Civil War relic

mr-dig-it

May 23, 2009
I'm very excited. I found my first Civil War relics. A couple horse shoes. I was visiting my sister near Gettysburg and introduced me to a young couple who had bought a house several years ago. Their neighbor, a long time resident mentioned that troops had moved through the area during the war. The couple gave me permission to detect their property where I found two shoes. Should I clean them up or leave them rusty as to preserve the historical value?

Attachments

• DSCF1147.JPG
    DSCF1147.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 1,734
Upvote 0
S

stefen

poorhunter78 said:
Hey Stefen, Is this the book you are using as a reference...

'Farriers of The Civil War' by Ima B. Schietter.

Wasn't he called "Bull" by his close friends?

Actually his nickname was Big Bull...like in I'm a Big Bull $hitter... :laughing7:

S

stefen

A great number of shoes were forged by local blacksmiths...in more recent years, shoes are being made by various manufacturers.

The shoes come in various sizes like 5, 6, and so on...they come with toe cleats or heel cleats or a combination of each...bar shoes and other corrective shoes are custom made...

With store-bought shoes comes the typical inset nail wedge (as seem in the photos)...

it's my opinion that these shoes are modern and possibly no older than mid-1960's...

OP
OP
M

mr-dig-it

May 23, 2009
Thanks to all who responded. I guess I was too quick to assume they were Civil War horseshoes just because they came from the Gettysburg area. Since I have seen a lot other Civil War relics posted, I thought these very well might be too. Oh well, I just have ordinary, common horseshoes.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mr-dig-it said:
Thanks to all who responded. I guess I was too quick to assume they were Civil War horseshoes just because they came from the Gettysburg area. Since I have seen a lot other Civil War relics posted, I thought these very well might be too. Oh well, I just have ordinary, common horseshoes.

Just brush it off and continue marching :hello2: Also, welcome to TNET. Hope you didn't get disappointed early on and won't come back with some more finds. Good luck and the best to you for your honest assumption, whether it was a hasty one or not :read2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions