114.9 KB · Views: 630
Upvote 0

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a pewter "rat-tail" spoon. If so, probably used in the 1700's. I'm no expert, but I've found a few of them myself. When you find those, old coins are usually real close by. Looks like you have a good area to search!

The Swed Hunther

Aug 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
Xp Gold Maxx Power 18kHz
aquachigger said:
That looks like a pewter "rat-tail" spoon. If so, probably used in the 1700's. I'm no expert, but I've found a few of them myself. When you find those, old coins are usually real close by. Looks like you have a good area to search!

Sure looks like one of those, but should it not bee an hallmark? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
aquachigger said:
Aquachigger,That's where the button and 1/2 penny come from,there is an old farm next parcel of land over,gonna ask if I can check fields!

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
worldtalker said:
aquachigger said:
Aquachigger,That's where the button and 1/2 penny come from,there is an old farm next parcel of land over,gonna ask if I can check fields!

It's been my experience that where you find one of those spoons is exactly the place to detect. It sounds like you are well on your way to finding more good stuff. Go slow, things might be deep. There is more there! As far as a hallmark, I'm not sure if pewter always has them. I have found many pewter spoons when detecting colonial sites, and I seem to remember that not many if any had hallmarks. Most of them probably weren't "high end" pieces though. Silver is a different story.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep,most likely a mid-rib spoon could be a dog nose.For sure pewter. :thumbsup: And would date early 1700's - 1750.Very hard to ever find one whole.I've found quite a few pieces like you have there but only two I've ever found whole.
http://www.pastmasters.info/PewterSpoons.pdf
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

Attachments

• IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_0043.JPG
    IMG_0043.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_0043.JPG
    IMG_0043.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 542
OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
aquachigger said:
worldtalker said:
aquachigger said:

It's been my experience that where you find one of those spoons is exactly the place to detect. It sounds like you are well on your way to finding more good stuff. Go slow, things might be deep. There is more there! As far as a hallmark, I'm not sure if pewter always has them. I have found many pewter spoons when detecting colonial sites, and I seem to remember that not many if any had hallmarks. Most of them probably weren't "high end" pieces though. Silver is a different story.
STILL waitin on a piece of jewelery,or better yet,a hammered!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread