First Post, First find taught me not all treasure is gold or silver. pic heavy

Schemp

Apr 11, 2011
Milwaukee
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/ Ace 350
I would like to think I did well on this 2 day expedition. I found an abandoned farm house near me and decided to go do a little exploring. I tried to buy this land and house a couple years ago and was told it was owned by the county and not for sale. I figured Ill go look around on the land just to do some hiking and a possible place to do some offroad mtn biking. The first thing I happened upon was an old falling apart garage. Being the nosey person I am I walked in an noticed there was an old brass candle holder on top of what looked like a pile of garbage. Next thing you know Im pulling out copper items, old cast brass things, and a bunch of what I thought was silver platted copper. I got home and cleaned it all up and much to my surprise, a bunch of the things were Sterling Silver! Candlesticks, spoons, a dish and a plate. I sold all the copper for 112$ and the Silver for $300 and change. The silver had looked like it was in a fire so it wasnt worth keeping to me. I figure Ill buy some junk silver with the proceeds. I didnt take pics of my first trip, sorry, but all in all there was 37 pounds of copper and 11 Ozs of Sterling with at least 50 pounds in brass.

I decided to take another trip today and hit it good and hard. Shovels, Wheelbarrel, Bins, and good ol elbow grease was loaded up and off I went. I only lasted 5 hours due to the immense heat we are having. I had to stop as I ran out of water about 4 hours in. Below are pics of my results from my trip today, I would like to think Ive done well but this is my first time.

I did this all by hand and am going back but this time with my new detector Ill be picking up on Tuesday, Garrett Ace 350. Theres glass everywhere, metal everywhere, and lots and lots of trash. Im getting into detecting due to the wife believe it or not and there are alot of areas near us that are long long forgotton :)

The garage as it sits, most anyone would pass it up due to appearance.
dig01.JPG

Inside the garage for a better look. Dirt floor shows better in this pic.
dig02.JPG

First find literally a needle in a haystack 1964 Roosevelt Silver Dime. Still amazed I found that.
dig03.JPG

Various Brass and copper items. I believe the candle Holders are antiques. The wires were actually in the ditch at the road, trying to make sense of that one still.
dig04.JPG

Here I sorted the good stuff. Theres Silver in the upper right, some China, a couple gold earings, 2 gold plated clips ( i think they are plated). a couple of Hummels, some pewter, and a few silver plated spoons.
dig05.JPG

Some sharpening stones, actually found some 30/30 Ammo, brass wire glasses, various trinkets.
dig06.JPG

Left over brass, iron and junk.
dig07.JPG

This looks like it was some kind of religious box of some sort. I couldnt find the rest of it. Its cast and I have no clue what it is.
dig27.JPG

Im going back to this site once I have my detector and see if it can find more silver in there among all the other stuff.

Upvote 0

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Nice Finds for cleaning up the garage. Hope you kept the Silver and the Candle Stick holder's. You found alot of nice items and would be Great to Display. I've been detecting for over 30 years and still have my Silver Coins and Jewely plus a few Civil War Relic's. I detect the Beaches most of my time and very seldom Dirt Fish.goldnugget-Charlotte,N.C.

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you racked up! Gotta love it! :icon_thumleft:

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice finds...BUT i would be very careful ...if you dont have permission from the county and they still own the land you could be arrested for theft....
i know it is probably all falling down and over grown but it still belongs to them..all you have to do is look ta the news and you will see people being busted for sttealing copper wire ect......
jsuy sayin...:):)

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XS-2a Pro, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool finds :icon_thumright:

What is the writing on the iron piece in the picture? It looks like a frame. :dontknow:

Attachments

• zzzzzzz.jpg
    zzzzzzz.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 428
OP
OP
S

Schemp

Apr 11, 2011
Milwaukee
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/ Ace 350
The writing says God Bless Our Home, and yes it is a frame of sorts.

Deep Seeker said:
Cool finds :icon_thumright:

What is the writing on the iron piece in the picture? It looks like a frame. :dontknow:

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
good finds!! The hummels could be worth some bucks! The one on the right is real looking...not sure about the others though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread