Janis Joplin 1967 California Hippie Concert Posters

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
So I got a whole bunch of vintage posters recently. I put them on some foam backing (expensive - better look out) and wrapped them in mylar. I put them out at the antique booth and they have been doing exceedingly well - selling above average eBay prices in fact. The posters were doing so well I put up a craigslist ad looking for some more. Got a call about some yesterday and rode 20 miles south to check a few out.

I paid $30 total for the two posters pictured below. I bought them as reproductions, because the seller thought they were in too good shape to be originals. Well, guess what? I think they actually are originals. Size (16" X 22") and markings match up exactly with everything I have been able to research about these particular posters. If there are any old hippies here that can give me any advice about them I would much appreciate it.

The posters are from concerts held at a venue called The Ark in Sausalito, California in 1967. Bands include Moby Grape, Big Brother and The Holding Company (Janis Joplin's first group), and Jack & The Ripper.

postervenus.jpg

postercupid.jpg

posterback.jpg

posterback2.jpg

posterfron2t.jpg

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You may have seen this:
"The pretty town of Sausalito was a favorite R&R [relax and refine] spot for bands playing dance concerts in San Francisco. Bands would slip over to Sausalito after finishing their gigs, play an after-hours set at The Ark (popular in part because it was one of the only clubs around and open), and then crash nearby. In fact, Sausalito became a regular 'staging' area for bands booked or hoping-to-be in the bigger concert halls, and The Ark benefited early on as both a rehearsal and 'test' site for new or re-worked numbers. Moby Grape used the venue as a practice site as early as 1966, and other bands including Big Brother & the Holding Company, The Steve Miller Band, Santana and Styx played there through 1969. Although The Ark generated a considerable inventory of posters, their design and execution are generally dismissed as unsatisfactory by contemporary cognoscenti. The Art of Rock calls them "... detested by most collectors," and those who do seek them value them as landmarks on a particular band's timeline rather than as works of art."
Source:http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/venues/memorabilia/ark.html

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
The Art of Rock calls them "... detested by most collectors," and those who do seek them value them as landmarks on a particular band's timeline rather than as works of art."

LMAO no I hadn't read that. I think they look pretty gaudy, much like a lot of stuff from that era. Looking at them reminds me of Rowan and Martins Laugh-In for some reason.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Is that Janis Joplins group? Thats got to have value. That brings back memories.
They dont even mention her name on the poster. It must be a very early Janis Joplin.

Mack mentioned Steve Miller one of my all time late 60's favorites. "Dont Want You No More"
Great stuff. Its no wonder that sells.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
It was a shock when Janis Joplin and Hendrix ODed but those were the times.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Janis was lead singer for Big Brother from 66 to 68.... Saw her and Hendrix live in 1969, still a fan...

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Janis was lead singer for Big Brother from 66 to 68.... Saw her and Hendrix live in 1969, still a fan...
I saw Hendrix here at the Miami Pop Festival.
He couldnt afford a left hand guitar so he learned to play upside down. Incredible.

They laughed Joplin out of Texas but she was OK. She was a drunk on stage as far as I remember.
"Me and My Bobby McGee"
The Doors, one of my other favorites came later but Morrison suffered the same fate.
"I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer..."

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
I noticed there weren't zip codes on the address stamp. I know the zip code came out before 1967 (perhaps 63 or 64?) as I was living in California and a youth and I remember the card with Mr. Zippy coming out and in mid 1967 we moved to Alaska. I had to remember 2 zip codes then, one for APO Seattle and one for Anchorage. Now, I know that the people that printed these posters could have been somewhat rebellious, but that long without putting on the zip code?? It seemed like everyone was compliant and liked the zip code. Just a thought. Don't know if it means anything, but it struck me.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
High Plains Digger said:
I noticed there weren't zip codes on the address stamp. I know the zip code came out before 1967 (perhaps 63 or 64?) as I was living in California and a youth and I remember the card with Mr. Zippy coming out and in mid 1967 we moved to Alaska. I had to remember 2 zip codes then, one for APO Seattle and one for Anchorage. Now, I know that the people that printed these posters could have been somewhat rebellious, but that long without putting on the zip code?? It seemed like everyone was compliant and liked the zip code. Just a thought. Don't know if it means anything, but it struck me.

Thanks, I will look into that. I googled the address, and it still exists, just not this particular business. Maybe the hippies couldn't manage their $$$ properly and had to close it on down?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gather if you make a big profit you will go back and pay the seller more. It's the right thing to do. Only crooks would take advantage of someone's honest mistake.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
I gather if you make a big profit you will go back and pay the seller more. It's the right thing to do. Only crooks would take advantage of someone's honest mistake.

IP, your not serious are you?

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Iron Patch said:

LMAO! I doubt it. In fact, I don't think I want to go back to that neighborhood. The dude looked like he was really fiending for some dope. I'm sure you know the feeling. I'm just protecting him from himself. It's for his own good.

All I have to say now is - Oh, woe is me..... When will the ceaseless and vile attacks from the Wonder Twins finally end? All I want to do is converse peacefully amongst my fellow treasure seekers, yet at every turn I am mercilessly mocked by these two. Why God? WHY????!!!!!!?????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread