Tennessee CW Artillery Relics-3 in. Hotchkiss Base, Lead Sabot Pieces, & HEAT!!!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tennessee CW Artillery Relics-3 in. Hotchkiss Base, Lead Sabot Pieces, & HEAT!!!

We (Tenn. Trio) haven't hunted much lately. I've been trying to catch up on my farm work so it won't interfere with Fall relic season-LOL and writing a few new relic/treasure magazine articles. Dman has been working in his store and winning his golf club championship. Josh has a new supervisor job which Dman and I predict he will resign from just after the first Fall frost so he won't miss relic hunts with us-LOL. He already has 4 businesses to run anyway.
Monday afternoon, I had a message on my machine from a friend giving us a tip on where we may dig a few CW relics. Even though it was a scorcher, Dman and I went to the site on Wednesday a little after daylight. We lasted only about an hour and half. The ground was hard and dry. Dman claims he had an encounter with a scorpion and a rattlesnake but he can tell about that. Our finds were mostly agricultural as shown in the first pic. We gave the landowners most of those finds. Note the round object on the right side. I tried to trick Dman by holding it in my hand where it looked like a cannonball but he knew we weren't that lucky.
I thought a lot about the round object as I initially dismissed it as being a hub from an old wagon axle. The more I thought about it yesterday, the more convinced I was that it may be a frag from a Hotchkiss shell. I refreshed my memory by looking at the CW Artillery Book last night.
Today, Dman wanted to work in his store so I returned solo to the same site just after daylight. I dug 3 pieces of lead sabots from the shells, a dropped buck'n ball, and more iron ag. parts in 4 muggy, hot hours until my 2 bottles of water and Diet Mt. Dew gave out. When I gave those parts to our landowner friends, They gave me the round object back to research in the hope it was a shell frag for my collection and were happy to get more ag. parts from where their father had farmed the land.
Lo and behold, the round iron object had 3 flame grooves and was an exploded 3 inch U.S. Hotchkiss base as shown in the last two pics. If the landowners had not requested that we save the ag. parts for them, I may have chucked it. Check your finds carefully because you just never know!!!
Thanks for looking and stay cool, Quindy.

Attachments

• Dman and Quindy 7-20-11.jpg
    Dman and Quindy 7-20-11.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 828
  • U\'S. Artillery Relics.jpg
    U\'S. Artillery Relics.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 831
  • Hotchkiss Base 7-20-11.jpg
    Hotchkiss Base 7-20-11.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 825
Upvote 1

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Tennessee CW Artillery Relics-3 in. Hotchkiss Base, Lead Sabot Pieces, & HEAT!!!

It sure does look like a fragment Quindy. Good eye! Your one of the brave ones to get out in this heat. Nice saves buddy.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Tennessee CW Artillery Relics-3 in. Hotchkiss Base, Lead Sabot Pieces, & HEAT!!!

Woodland Detectors said:
It sure does look like a fragment Quindy. Good eye! Your one of the brave ones to get out in this heat. Nice saves buddy.
Thanks Mike. It's an exact match with the 3 in. U.S. common Hotchkiss shell in our collection. It has 3 flame grooves too. I couldn't believe my luck as we find few shells in this area so I had a local relic dealer verify it. I'm too old for hunting in this heat and humidity-LOL. Stay cool my friend and we'll get together this Fall, Quindy.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

VOL1266-X said:
Woodland Detectors said:
Thanks Mike. It's an exact match with the 3 in. U.S. common Hotchkiss shell in our collection. It has 3 flame grooves too. I couldn't believe my luck as we find few shells in this area so I had a local relic dealer verify it. I'm too old for hunting in this heat and humidity-LOL. Stay cool my friend and we'll get together this Fall, Quindy.
Yes we will.

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You hit the nail on the head. Great find!

rebelrouser

Dec 4, 2008

that is a nice relic. don,t know how you did with the heat being what it has being.bet Dman will be with you next time.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dang Q, YOU the Man! :hello2: Great find and awesome job on the ID. I would have chucked that if I had found it. :dontknow:
Ya learn something new here everyday.
That CW relic was well worth getting diaper rash for in this heat. :icon_sunny:
Congrats,
Dug

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Yes Sir Quindy.....good eye!!! You may even have some of the lead sabot there as well :thumbsup: We need a ton of rain up this way but still getting out this weekend somewhere for some night-hawkin'......too damn hot in the day.Take Care and good luck to the Trio!!

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

:icon_thumright: Love that IRON!!!

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

interesting Artillery finds ...congrats! :thumbsup:
H

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

That was a neat find. On Wednesday it was so hot I was sweating by the bucket. Anyway half way up the hill I saw a rattlesnake and a scorpion under a bush staying cool in the shade. When I got close to them the Scorpion said to the snake," Look at that white boy. He is too stupid to get out of the heat". That's when I headed back to the truck.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Quindy , I like the CW arty relics :wink: lucky the guy said check it out , it does look like an axle hub . I never realized mountain dew could quench your thirst esp. relic hunting in extreme temps . Glad you are careful out there :sunny: 8) dawg

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Congrats on the Find! Good Eye :thumbsup:
I am guessing the comparison piece is an earlier find :o
You got some fine relics :hello2:
Love this heat, 3 days & more comin of 100 degrees here in NH :laughing7:
Best to you & Happy Birthday :thumbsup:

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks AD, Don, MM, Joe , Hutch, HISPAN, and Rob (Rob, looking forward to seeing your article on finding those CW bottles when relic hunting to be featured in the Nov.-Dec. issue of American Digger Magazine).
Dawg, the Diet Mt. Dew was a back up beverage because my bottled water gave out in 2 hours. If Dman gets cut, I can always pour it on his wound during a hunt too-LOL.
Herbie, I bought the full 3" Hotchkiss shell several years ago for my collection and that's the comparison shell. We find very few shells, frags, etc. here in our area because we don't hunt the Stones River, Franklin, or Nashville area so the few artillery frags we do find and associated case shot and canister bsall finds are from target and test rounds.
Thanks to everyone who looked and replied and come on Fall, Quindy.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dman said:
That was a neat find. On Wednesday it was so hot I was sweating by the bucket. Anyway half way up the hill I saw a rattlesnake and a scorpion under a bush staying cool in the shade. When I got close to them the Scorpion said to the snake," Look at that white boy. He is too stupid to get out of the heat". That's when I headed back to the truck.

True story. :icon_thumleft:

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great recovery on that Hotchkiss fragment Quindy ! I must say that the Tennesse trio is a tough bunch ! I have shut down here in Maine due to the heat and the baked ground .We hit 100 F yesterday :help: :icon_sunny: ! We northeners do not like it that hot ! I don't know how you do it ! M.R.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice finds Quindy. I congratulate you for getting out in this heat. I haven't been out in 3 weeks but the itch is starting to catch up with. I have been doing a lot of research during this heat and trying to line some places up this fall. Nice finds and wish you well on your future hunts. The east Tennessee trio (Mike, Guy and myself) will have to get together with you later this year.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

ModernMiner said:
Dman said:

True story. :icon_thumleft:
He didn't tell the WHOLE true story MM. He went back to the truck alright but when I hunted a while longer and returned to the truck, he was hunting the lawn of a nearby HOUSE in the shade-LOL. Q.
MaineRelic said:
Great recovery on that Hotchkiss fragment Quindy ! I must say that the Tennesse trio is a tough bunch ! I have shut down here in Maine due to the heat and the baked ground .We hit 100 F yesterday :help: :icon_sunny: ! We northeners do not like it that hot ! I don't know how you do it ! M.R.
We Southerners don't like it either MR. Staying hydrated is the key. On Wednesday when Dman and I hunted that site, the soil was very hard and dry but they apparently had a good rain on Thursday and the digging on Friday am was much easier. It helped that fog didn't burn off until about 8:30 too so the sun was masked foom daylight until then. Thanks for looking MR and your Autumn is not that far away. HH, Quindy.

treasurehound said:
Nice finds Quindy. I congratulate you for getting out in this heat. I haven't been out in 3 weeks but the itch is starting to catch up with. I have been doing a lot of research during this heat and trying to line some places up this fall. Nice finds and wish you well on your future hunts. The east Tennessee trio (Mike, Guy and myself) will have to get together with you later this year.
We'll plan on it Randy and thanks for looking. Stay cool Bud. Wonder if that big train locomotive that Guy operates in East TN has AC?-LOL. Q.

pastorals

Jul 12, 2011
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey, MaineRelic....if you go jump in Mooselookmeguntic you'll sure get cooled off!!! :laughing9: :icon_thumleft:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

treasurehound said:
Oooooh, sounds like a Tn trio show down. :laughing7:

The older guys against the old guys

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions