slow sweep gives me 2 deep silver coins

W

whites6000inPa

I changed the tuning technique on my 6000....and slowed my sweep down, doing some seriously slow overlapping and got these 2 silver coins at 8 inches (quarter) and 7 inches (dime) in an area I thought I'd worked over pretty well.

Slow down!.....now where have I heard that before? try it...they ain't kiddin'.....it works.

Wyatt

Attachments

• YEEHAW.JPG
    YEEHAW.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 497
Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

I love finding silver....even if it's not 100 year old silver. These were just rinsed with hot water. No kind of abrasive cleaning or rubbing of any kind.

Wyatt

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Sweet sweet silver!!! I should have my 6000diPro with an 11 inch coil on Thursday! Cant wait to take her out & run er! Slow sweep, eh? I'll try to remember that! WTG Wyatt! Hope you dont mind my PM's lookin fer tips & advice! ;D

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

I don't mind at all. The tuning I'm using to get maximum depth in TR Disc....does not have an audible threshold when scrubbing the coil across the ground....just to the silent point, so that if you lift the coil even 1/2" off the ground it screams at you. At that point you'll have maximum depth at a comfort level that's easy to deal with.

I just can't stand that constant buzz, though if you can tolerate it, you can go even a bit deeper.

I now have to go back and hit all the sites I though I had worked out....because I gained about 15% more depth tonight by changing the tuning just a little bit. I've missed silver everywhere I've hunted I'll bet.

Wyatt

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been eyeing up my old Coinmaster sitting in the corner... wondering what to do with that TR Disc mode... I have an 11" coil on it, and I know it can find coins at considerable depth. So tell me about this TR Disc, though. How does it work in mineralized ground? What kind of tuning do you have to do-- is it all threshold tuning, or does ground balance come into play at all?

Way back when, I was so inept with my Coinmaster that I got discouraged with detecting for a while. I had found maybe 5 silver coins in 3 years of detecting, and nothing over about 4 or 5" deep.

Do you notice a big difference in depth with TR Disc vs. GEB Disc? Sorry for asking clueless newbie questions on this detector, but you seem to really know what you're doing with the White's 6000.

HH,
Rusted

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

I could never stand the constant ground chatter of the GEB circuitry and slow reaction time of the meter. I have always hunted in TR Disc.

Ground balance (I am told) does not even apply to the TR circuitry. The ground balancing sequence in the manual is for GEB disc only. The 6000s I have have both have the "hot rock reject" notch, which I use religiously. Occasionally I'll dig a piece of coke.....but not often enough for it to be a problem.

The questions about highly mineralized soil....I am not even qualified to take a stab at since the soil conditions here are pretty neutral in the areas I tend to hunt.

Wyatt

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

I should add that until tonight and this minor tweak in threshold tuning technique, typical depth on silver coins was about 5 inches or therabouts. I did find a couple quarters at 7 inches, but they were reading the halo at 5 inches. Now if I can read the halo effect at 8 inches....quarters 10 inches down are a possibility.

Wyatt

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whites6000inPa said:
I could never stand the constant ground chatter of the GEB circuitry and slow reaction time of the meter. I have always hunted in TR Disc.

Ground balance (I am told) does not even apply to the TR circuitry. The ground balancing sequence in the manual is for GEB disc only. The 6000s I have have both have the "hot rock reject" notch, which I use religiously. Occasionally I'll dig a piece of coke.....but not often enough for it to be a problem.

The questions about highly mineralized soil....I am not even qualified to take a stab at since the soil conditions here are pretty neutral in the areas I tend to hunt.

Wyatt

Thanks for the reply. I just did some searching on the net and found where people say the TR disc doesn't work when the ground is highly mineralized. So down in "magnetite city" where I hunt sometimes, it might not be that useful. The soil is loaded with iron minerals. Which is too bad, because GEB Disc seems to lose depth pretty badly. Also my Coinmaster gets erratic in GEB Disc mode, I was going to send it in for service, but the repair bill would probably be more than the cost of just buying another used coinmaster on ebay. Not meaning to hijack your thread on a tangent here, anyway back to your topic...

Love those Silvers!!!! ;D ;D ;D

HH,
Rusted

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

I could see where magnetite could pose problems for just about any detector. I'm glad we don't have that stuff here. :D

Wyatt

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
nice finds !!!!!! a pair of 43s are always a welcome sight !!! ;D ;D ;D ;D keep em comin

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job Wyatt..........Since I have been part of this forum , i have been preaching the Slow and easy method !!! Running a marathon with a metal detector may be some new Sport in the future and you may even win some nice trophys........But when it comes to deep coin or Relic metal detecting you need to give the machine your useing time to read ground sensitivity as well as the target it is picking up with that nice slow sweep....

When your in competition hunts , Speed is everything but remember the targets in those are just below the surface and no more than an inch or two down! So you can run like heck and find as much as you wish! Your method is the right one , so keep it up and enjoy those deep old finds! ;)

Seeker

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice silver,

It does help to slow down. There are slow sweeping targets.

The dfx has digital sweep speed settings. It's one of my favorites to use on the unit.

It helps to find the deep silver when you go slower.

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread