1944 S Wheat Penny Copper

rennie

Aug 26, 2007
New Braunfels, Tx
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
:icon_thumright: My wife and I went to Carl's Jr. to eat burgers tonight, and we got 4 pennies back. I held out my hand for the change and I saw a Wheatie. I flipped it over and about (you know what) my self. I saw the 1944 S and showed my wife. I thought they only made steel pennies during WW II?????? Any way I said beep beep and stuck it in my pocket. I made my day!!!!!!. I will try and get some pictures and post them!!!!!: :headbang: :headbang: :icon_thumleft:

/font]

Upvote 0

nhagan

Jul 27, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
i could be wrong but i think 43 were the steel pennies and 44 was copper.. i think there are a few 44 steel pennies known to exist but they are pretty rare..

neil

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Steel only in 1943, unfortunately. Shell casing bronze for '44 and '45, I believe
There are some odd '43s in copper and '44s in steel.
But...a wheat is always a welcome find!

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
I may be wrong, too, but I think 45 was back at regular composition. Only 44 was shell casing. Too lazy to go and find my red book and look it up.

OP
OP
rennie

rennie

Aug 26, 2007
New Braunfels, Tx
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
I don't really care if it is worth something, I thought it was cool. Thanks for the information. I will look into it farther :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions