66.5 KB · Views: 1,396
Upvote 0

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
While the obverse (Flowing Hair Liberty) looks AU-UNC, the reverse (eagle) side looks more like maybe F to VF, maybe. Many early-mint coins struck in the US have the same issue: one side impressed much stronger than the other side. And someone has mentioned this is a specific, rare variety as well. That strongly says to me that your coin MUST be independently authenticated by the best early-American expert available.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not that person. It took me several minutes to find your coin without identification, and before you provided the photo of the reverse.

Because there is some glare in the reverse photo, would like to see other photos with a little less light. Looking specifically for details of the eagle's feathers on breast, head and wings, if possible.

Even if an expert will only admit to "authentic" and "environmental damage", the coin will still have expert authentication. This is standard, although it may seem odd. My 1909 S VDB cent was submitted to PCGS and came back as "Authentic, environmental damage." That was because the early collector put scotch tape over the coins to hold them in the early folder. Exposure to the tape caused the "environmental damage" PCGS spoke of. But that particular coin is far more frequently counterfeited than your 1795 half-dime. The potential value of your coin is such you would never see much of the true collector's value unless you have PCGS, ANACS, or other expert numismaticist authenticate your coin.

I regret not being able to steer you toward one particular individual, but am mostly unfamiliar with this entire series of half-dimes. All I can say is, if I had your happy problem, I would attempt to find the best available authority before letting them see my coin, regardless of what company they represent.

You appear to have a true rarity. The difference in quality of the different faces only adds to that probability in my opinion. I wish you well, PEIes. Truly a once-in-a-lifetime coin.

Please purchase those cheap cotton gloves! Do not allow yourself (and more importantly others) access to your coin without having bleached white cotton gloves on their hands!

OP
OP
PEles

PEles

Apr 20, 2009
Lowcountry, South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks fellas's and tuberale

I sure do appreciate your input.I guess I'll try PCGS when I get the chance.In the meantime I or no one else will be touching the coin.When I get a little time I'll try and get you some more pics with less glare.Thanks again for your help and knowledge.

LP

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a fabulous find!!! And the condition is wonderful, regardless of "environmental damage," or whatever.
Unfortunately, in our world today, with some trying to make a buck by copying/counterfeiting, instead of buying themselves
a detector and getting out, doing the hard work, and finding one for themselves, we have to depend on businesses like
PCGS/NGC and a few others, to do their work. It is a guarantee to the buyer that he is investing in a true coin. (You know
where you were/what you were doing/at what depth you found it....you have no question in your mind, but unfortunately, the
ones who might bid/buy it were not there.) Perhaps you can find out (go to PCGS.com or NGC.com) and find out when/where
they will be at a coin show near you, and hand carry that bad boy with you. (I wouldn't put that one in the mail, no way.
Another story, but just don't trust the mail system for anything really significant.....like your coin.)
Good outcome on whatever route you choose. Keep us posted. Tell us the .... "rest of the story." :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread