Upvote 0

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
13000 wow man that is a big number, i am no professional coin grader but it looks like it could be in the upper fine grade to me but i see hairline scratches from the soil so that will lower the grade.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like XF. Why don't you send it in and get it graded......Matt

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
mlayers said:
Looks like XF. Why don't you send it in and get it graded......Matt

I agree, looks go have the meat of an XF, but can't really tell how any hairlines will affect the grade. You should consider sending it to NGC or PCGS.

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
If you get that graded you probably won't be very happy as they will more than likely mark it environmental damage, better off selling it as is, definitely an awesome coin

OP
OP
PEles

PEles

Apr 20, 2009
Lowcountry, South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Hey JW 15 yep looks like you found it valentine 4 Thanks

I don't know the significance of that but the date looks more off center than others. I was hoping to take it to a coin show where PCGS waa grading but I live in S. Carolina and they havent come too close yet. I sure do appreciate your help with it. The coin is supposed to be a scarce variety hmmmm I like the sound of that. I'll get a better pic sometime today. The one I took was at night, I'll try to get one with a lot better detail.

LP

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A very good coin :wink: , but for my taste lacks cleaning the right side, would equal a little the overall appearance of the coin.
H

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey! I noticed it as well. Keep in mind that there were 10 different die varieties in 1795 ranging from "scarce" to "very rare". The one in the auction below is the former Valentine-2, now referred to as LM-3. It is easily identified by the die crack that runs from the "R in "LIBERTY" through the bust. The LM-3 variety is one of the rare varieties, listed as an R5, which means there are between 31-50 known surviving specimens. If you look at the screen capture below from the current Heritage auction you can see how much the variety affects the price.

Your coin does not appear to have the telltale die crack which would identify it as an LM-3, but I have posted a photo of the one I found next to the one listed on the auction so you can match it up. As you can see, I was lucky enough to find the rare LM-3 variety.

I hope you are as lucky as I was with the variety! I plan on getting mine graded in the Fall, and then you may see mine up on the block!

005a.JPG 2.jpg
1795Auction (2).jpg

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
I agree, looks go have the meat of an XF, but can't really tell how any hairlines will affect the grade. You should consider sending it to NGC or PCGS.
[/quote]

Send it to NGC, PCGS will only Authenticate it, and will not grade it. It will come back from NGC with a grade and as well stating it as damaged. Very nice coin and rare, so if you do want to sell it. You will get more money out of it graded. That way you will protect it as an investment, and the buyer will feel better knowing its real, and will bring more money.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I couldn't figure out what kind of coin it was at first. But then I don't have any "Flowing Hair Half Dimes" myself. So went to Ruddy's Photograde, and found the coin, at least. Also found that without taking into consideration the fine soil scratches, this coin obverse only would likely grade AU-50, based on hair strand details near the eye. I'm including 2 photos from Photograde to compare to. First is close-up, second includes description. Really need to see the reverse as well, as early US coins often not struck as well on one side as the other. <hint, hint>

Attachments

• MVC-021S.JPG
    MVC-021S.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 788
  • MVC-022S.JPG
    MVC-022S.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 784

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
After longer looking (and longing), feel your coin needs careful conservation. What others describe as soil streaking may not actually be there. Only a carefully conserved coin will be able to tell. You might (just possibly) have one of the best known examples currently in existence. But much depends on what the reverse of the coin looks like, as well as how it is handled EACH AND EVERY TIME she's touched. Buying a cheap pair of cotton gloves is not at all extravagant for this coin. Might even want to purchase a second pair. Or even two.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I think that if I held the coin here at my house for a decade or two, and looked at it everyday, I could give you a very accurate grade ;D

VERY NICE !!!!!

VPR

OP
OP
PEles

PEles

Apr 20, 2009
Lowcountry, South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: a couple more pictures of 1795 half dime ( the back)

My camera doesnt take outstanding closeups ( need a better one) . Here's a few more pics including what the back looks like. It's been in the little capsule ever since I dug it. Tonight was the first time I've touched it since last september after i brough it home. I've always heard don't clean a rare coin so that's why this one's still got dirt on it. I'll check NGC and see what they can do for me. Since the one guys says all PCGS will do is authenticate it but not grade it might as well not waste my time with them. Hell I already know the SOB is real I know where I found it ;D

LP

Attachments

• bestcoin.jpg
    bestcoin.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 690
  • 1795b1.jpg
    1795b1.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 698
  • bestcoin.jpg
    bestcoin.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 699

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
PCGS is the best there is and they are stricked on there grading. If the coin has any damage thats all they will say is its real. If they get a graded coin from NGC, they wont cross the grade over. All you will get is a slabbed coin saying authentic. They dont want people thinking they have the same grading standards as NGC, but they wont insult them by putting a lower grade. They may be able to professionaly clean it for you, but I think you will get a different color label. Also I know you know the coin is real, but the buyer wasn't there so they will only pay so much if they can't comfirm it's real. There are so many fakes, and dishonest people. That know one should buy a coin this rare without documentation.

DevilDog812

Nov 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
are you thinking of selling it?
if i found something like that, i would frame it and hang it on the wall in my bedroom above my bed ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread