Another class ring being returned to owner---Follow-up

jblank37

May 13, 2006
The original story can be read here:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,44643.0.html

Thought I would let you know, I met with the owner of this ring today. He is now a retired school principal and now selling insurance. He did not seem to care that my wife and I had made a 40 mile trip to return something that he had lost 40 years ago. I barely got a thank you. Never did we get and offer to set down in his home. Please do not get me wrong here, I was only looking for a little appreciation. I didn't seem to get it.

Anyway, I feel very good in what I did. And, I will do it again if ever I can.

I want to thank all of you for your comments in my original post. It is an honor to be associated with all of you great people on "TresureNet". I really do enjoy reading about all of your finds.

ringfinder, I really liked your story, and Boobydoo, I want to thank you ever so much for the kind words you gave to me.

Like all of you know, good things do happen to people that do the right thing. I said in my original post that "White's Electronics" was interested enough in my story on the first ring I returned that they posted it on their website. Two days ago, I received a $200.00 gift certificate in the mail. Very, very nice gift.

I hope all of you have a great weekend and find many treasures.

Friends, John

Upvote 0

Tabfry

Mar 29, 2006
Seattle area
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Regardless whether anybody acknowledges your kindness or not, you can rest assured knowing you did the right thing. Good for you!

PhotoTJ

Apr 12, 2005
The Pacific Coast, Southern California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, GTI 2500, Sea Hunter II. I like Garrett!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoy the satisfaction of knowing you did something great, and you have the respect of all of your fellow THers! Nice job!

snorton750

Jul 28, 2006
Auburn, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic ID
Jblank..
I cant undrstand the actions of the person whose ring you returned. Some 44 years ago I lost my highschool ring in a swimming pond near Laurel, Ms. If it were returned to me today I know I would not act like that. First, after my wife pulled me off the overhead, I would proably offer you anything in the house, food, drink, whatever. OVERHEAD - sorry 23 years in the Navy. anyway you did what I think most on this site would do just because it was the right thing. And since he didnt let me THANK YOU. Stan...

Old Tom

Aug 4, 2006
Milton, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI, Eagle Spectrum, Fisher 1235-X, 1280-X
Jblank,
I sort of disagree with popular opinion. I think the people should be more greatful. We spend our money for equipment, and our time learning how to use it and searching. There are treasure trove laws in each state, most allows us to keep items once the original owners give up searching for it.

Don't get me wrong, I have given back several rings, and to be honest some of them would have looked great in my collection. But sometimes it seems like I care more about the ring the the owners.

Just saying it sucks when you give a good find back, and don't get the proper thanks.

Old Tom

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
By returning the ring, you did good, even if you barely got a thanks.

This is what I would do; I would try to find the owner, If I do, I would call him on the phone and tell him that I found his/her property, then make an appointment for that person to come and pick up the stuff...

If the person do not show up and do not call back, I would keep the thingy.

I would not make a long trip to return something unless the person was incapacitated
or just physically unable to travel.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes you did the right thing for sure . I guess the guy was just an un happy person all around. Keep up the good work!! :)

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awww.....hate that you got that kind of response. >:( But you did good! :) And I think Lou has a good idea about returning items...

Congrats on your gift certificate!

Nana :)

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
You did a good thing but unfortuately this man doesn't have any manners! Maybe he's burnt out in life, or maybe he's just a rude person,nevertheless; you are a better person! Keep detecting and have fun,don't let this get you down! Also,congratulations on receiving a $200.00 certificate. VERY NICE!!! :)

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Hey Jblank, dont let this unappreciative idiot bring you down, you did a wonderful thing in returning his ring to him! The next one you return will get you the reaction & appreciation you certainly deserve! Karma trains comin' buddy..............the karma trains comin! (toot-toot!) ;D

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was an awesome post and a great positive way to present our hobby! Maybe the guy was having a bad day, crap does happen. You did receive a nice gift from Whites which is great, congrats! I use an XLT. HH, Mike

OP
OP
J

jblank37

May 13, 2006
Thank all of you for your responses and kind words. Like I said, I will do it again. My wife and I got out this morning for a couple of hours. Went to a volley ball court with about 6 to 8 inches of sand. Total results 32 coins, all clad and 2 new pair of lady's sunglasses. When I say new, they were both still in plastic wrappers with price tags of $12.99 each. They were under about 5 inches of sand approx. 2 feet apart. Not a single scratch on either pair. I really could not believe they were in this good condition.

I hope all of you are having a great weekend.

Friends, John

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
WTG John!!! You did great!!!

You know, if there was a way we could see ahead of how a person would react in receiving an item returned to them....wonder how many would actually get returned????? LOL

Well, I'm sure with being a School Principal and now selling Insurance....he's had a very stressful life and has never learned to sit back and relax and enjoy life. Sad for him. Sometimes you do have to stop and smell the ROSES!!!

Congrats again!!! HH........Ann

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread