Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had about an hour before I met up with my Archaeologist friend this evening so I hit a local field. My only find other than a few pieces of junk was a piece of lead splatter, probably run off from a musket ball. I’m not going to waste film on the lead splatter. Met up with my Archie friend at the museum, I entered my Bronze Age Bar into our Bronze Age display case. This is a small bar, thin and about 4.5”/15cm long, really looks like a broken pot handle however, it does have certain distinctions about it. These Bronze Bars are some of the earliest forms of money dating around 2000-800 BC and were made into a few different sizes, kind of like nickels, dimes and quarters, mine must have been a nickel, LOL. They have been found as grave goods in Bronze Age burials thus allowing us to identify them, to be honest, mine almost ended up in the trash.
28Jul11BronzBar.jpg

My Bronze Bar is displayed beside this Bronze Age Flanged Axe, also found in my area, the find story of the axe is a bit skeptical, it was just laying in a rock crevice near a Celtic fortress. The axe is brand new never been used, it still has the mold seem around it. The axe is on loan to our museum from the finder, the agreement ends this December and the finder wants it back and does not want to sell it to us. I’m glad they will be displayed together for a time and it is a good representation. My bar is actually rare as, they traded and collected the bars and when the Celts had enough, they would make them into axes or other Bronze Age tools and weapons. My Archie friend and I went had a few Zoigl beers afterwards at a Pub, had a very good evening. HH, Mike
28Jul11BronzAxe.jpg

Upvote 0

dld

Apr 21, 2010
NE Fla
Detector(s) used
ace 250, BHID, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000
must be thrilling to be able to find stuff like that :icon_thumright:

Slabman

Jan 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
XLT, Quattro, X-Terra, Sovreign, Whites Goldmaster
Hey Mike,
Nice find!! I wish we had heritage like that around here in the states.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is an "Archie". Is that what you call
your policemen? I tried to google it, but couldn't find anything.

Slab

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Archie" = Archaeologist

Love your posts Mike. Take care.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the history lesson! Bronze must have been very valuable before the invention of iron! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread