Lance head from the Sixth Pennslyvania Cavalry... Rushs Lancers!

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lance head from the Sixth Pennslyvania Cavalry... Rush's Lancers!

Yesterdays digs... I had a great day with my third "Find of a Lifetime" this summer. My first was a Civil War Spencer carbine. My second... you'll have to wait just a little longer, but it WILL BLOW YOU AWAY! Here is my third. This is a Civil War lance head from the Sixth Pennsylvania Cavalry unit known as "Rush's Lancers". It was a very famous unit from the upper crust of Philadelphia society. A lance is basically a spear that cavalrymen would try to use to stab the enemy. Of course, by the time of the Civil War, long range muskets, repeating rifles and rifled cannon made a lancers term of service very hazardous. Not long into the war the Lancers threw away their lances and were issued modern carbines. And I found one of those lances with part of the wood shaft still attached!!! I'm very excited and have always dreamed of finding one of these since first reading about them in the book "The Illustrated History Of American Civil War Relics" way back in '78. Wahooo....

P8010041.JPG

P8010043.JPG

P8010044.JPG

Here is an up to date shot of my Spencer carbine I found a few weeks back. I think I'll keep it in this condition.

P8010048.JPG

Thanks for checking out my post!

Here is a painting of Rush's Lancers. Notice the streamers attached to the lance head and the attachment devices on the one I found. Very cool...

Rush\'s Lancers.jpg

Upvote 0

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Wow Beau! Another stunning find.

Congrats on this years amazing recoveries. Looking forward to a pic of your other find.
-Ev

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Lance head from the Sixth Pennslyvania Cavalry... Rush's Lancers!

kuger said:
Unreal man!!!Your posts have become legend!!! :thumbsup:

I agree! This fella's a relic magnet! How 'bout some videos Beau? If I get in that river I was telling you about, I'm going to invite you down.

OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hikeinmts said:
AC, YOu are certainly turning *over the sod* and **up the nice, historical CW artifacts.**
I'm not in the U.S. nowadays.....living/working/THing in S. KOrea. But, was priviledged to live/work/TH
in the great South, aka Alabama, Georgia, and Virginia, thanks to Uncle Sammy's Army./
Loved it. Great people living there. ANd, great hunting areas. ANd, great finds......mine not as great as yours,
but still go over what I found, and enjoy the memories of some fun times.
If you ever....ever get a chance to come over to S. KOrea, give me a jingle, and I'd be much proud to take you up
into the hills/mts of S. K. and show you how we hunt/where we hunt here in this country.
GREAT FIND.....GREAT FINDS. Love your posts. (ANd am waiting for the "tease" find. C'mon, fast, fast, fast.) :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for your kind words. And hikeinmts... be careful what you offer, I might just take you up on that. Never been to that part of the world and would love to see it... Beau

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

that spear is off the hook!!!!!!! MR TUFF

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Bump!!! Screw the SP......Awesome Beau :thumbsup:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Cool finds for sure. JC, why you think the lance belonged to the Sixth Pennslyvania Cavalry?

OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neil in West Jersey said:
Cool finds for sure. JC, why you think the lance belonged to the Sixth Pennslyvania Cavalry?

Without going into too much detail just yet :wink:, it is of the exact style they used and was found at one of their documented camps. I'm currently working on an article for American Digger Magazine that will have more information. Thanks for checking it out!

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I logged in for the first time in two months just so I could nominate this find for the banner. Could someone please explain to me why this would not be a banner find? Thanks, Steve

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

aquachigger said:
hikeinmts said:
AC, YOu are certainly turning *over the sod* and **up the nice, historical CW artifacts.**
I'm not in the U.S. nowadays.....living/working/THing in S. KOrea. But, was priviledged to live/work/TH
in the great South, aka Alabama, Georgia, and Virginia, thanks to Uncle Sammy's Army./
Loved it. Great people living there. ANd, great hunting areas. ANd, great finds......mine not as great as yours,
but still go over what I found, and enjoy the memories of some fun times.
If you ever....ever get a chance to come over to S. KOrea, give me a jingle, and I'd be much proud to take you up
into the hills/mts of S. K. and show you how we hunt/where we hunt here in this country.
GREAT FIND.....GREAT FINDS. Love your posts. (ANd am waiting for the "tease" find. C'mon, fast, fast, fast.) :thumbsup:
Serious, fellow THer. I get out almost every Saturday, hiking, hunting, digging......give me a few weeks notice, and we'll see what
we can come up with. (There are a couple of posts from guys that I have taken out hunting.;......give 'em a look-see. :)

Thanks everyone for your kind words. And hikeinmts... be careful what you offer, I might just take you up on that. Never been to that part of the world and would love to see it... Beau

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That lance is an amazing find, definitely BANNER in my book! The water has been very good to you this year :thumbsup:

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beauty of a historic find! :hello2: Excellent relic; glad you saved it. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

HH

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Whoa! :o You have some of the kewlest finds I've ever seen! :notworthy: Plus, I learn a thing or two from reading your posts. 8) Amazing keepers! I'm voting for sure~

Nana~

phifly04

Feb 13, 2011
Millsboro,De.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic ID/w Mods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As others have noted i always look forward to your posts.Great recovery!! :hello2: :headbang:
Dave

kevkirki

Jul 16, 2011
denver, colorado
Detector(s) used
M6/coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

love the spencer :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the comments everyone. I've been digging hard for thirty years and had my share of success. But I will admit that in the past whenever someone asked me "what's your favorite find?", I never had an answer that I felt good about. Now I do. It will definitely be the center piece of my collection. All I need to do now is find a copy of that Winslow Homer painting that I posted up top and put the two together. It's going to be awesome. Thanks again!

pitdiggers

Feb 16, 2009
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Shadow X5, Tesoro Cibola, Minelab XTerra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have not posted in a while but this one takes the cake! I publish civil war books and in all my years(if this is from that unit you have the find of a lifetime) I have not seen anything like it.
Congrats and BANNER vote this one in!

You get my vote!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is an awesome piece of History! Congrats and HH, Mike By the way, where's the second best find you made?

VegasTattoo

Greenie
Mar 7, 2011
Indiatlantic, FL

once again you have posted something that for the life of me I cannot see as to why it is not on the banner yet... Maybe I should look up the rules and regulations of a banner find. Maybe that will answer my questions... But anyways awesome find for sure

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread