Home Turf

wcgems

Greenie
Aug 13, 2006
Oak Hill, WV
Well, had a chance to get out a do a little hunting (2nd time since I got my BH505). Couldnt go very far since my truck was stolen (was recovered but now the cops have it) so I decided to hunt my yard some more. Still learning the detector so I got a little more trash than I probably shouuld have but in the 45 minutes I looked this was my haul.

finds082006.jpg

shell.jpg

3 nails, 1 large washer, 1 large pull tab, a CLOROX screw cap, a shotgun shell head, and a machine gun shell.

Bonus for the day!!! My father-in-law stopped to bug me a bit and while I was demonsrtating the detector to him I happened to look down and saw a small piece of a bottle stickin out of the ground. Kicked a little dirt and it looked better so I started to carefully dig it out. Turned out to be a complete 1942 Dr. Pepper bottle from the local BECKLEY, WV plant!!! Awesome find for me! Its got a few internal cracks but I can certainly live with em.

drpepper1942.jpg

Upvote 0

AFModell

Feb 27, 2006
DE
Not a bad little haul for just learning. I like the shell, ya aught to look the fellow up and see if you can send it to him. He might be surprised.

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
I love the bottle and the shell is really unusual. How often are shells engraved ??? Congratulations! :)

OP
OP
W

wcgems

Greenie
Aug 13, 2006
Oak Hill, WV
I've done a little research on the shell casing. The guy was there (Fort Knox) sometime between 1947 and 1955 which is the time that the 3rd Armored was attached to Fort Knox and only as a training facility. Havent had time to research him yet.

The shell casing sat 4 5 t w so I thought it was 45 caliber.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions