Some Days it does pay to get out of bed. :-)

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Still plodding my way through a big bean field on the 12th Century farm south of Paris this week. The Viking area was not as active as it was and I thought I needed to try and scout out a new "hot spot."

I have the old maps of the farm and they show the location of the Roman Road that cuts through the property. I was talking with a local metal detectorist (as best I can since I speak no French and he speaks no English) so it is a lot of gesturing and drawing in the dirt. He told me that the area was loaded with Roman roads since the town of Melun was the horse Depot for the Roman Army in that neck of the woods. He told me that they never located their villas on the road but would always put them about 1 Km away. Don't know if it was for protection or what but that is the way they built them.

So I drag out the maps and start drawing some lines parallel to the Roman road about 1 Km away. I then look on Google Earth for any crop marks that might indicate an old building foundation. Nothing.

I talked with the wife of the farmer who owns the land now and said I was thinking there might be the possibility of a Villa somewhere on the property. She said that an old priest had told them some of the history of the farm since it was farmed by Monks for many centuries. The priest said that he thought there was an old villa in the field behind the main barn but didn't know exactly where. I figured that the best way to find it would be to look for pieces of pottery. My problem was, I didn't know how to tell Roman pottery from a good grade of clay and the roof tiles are always red and they still make pretty much the same thing today. Now if I had Internet it would be good but there is no Internet there so I go off in search of the local metal detecting guy. I meet up with him in a field a couple of Kilometers from the farm and he takes me through the field and shows me what is and what is not Roman Pottery. Once you see it, you can easily recognize it. It has a dark glaze and the clay is a pretty light shade of gray.

So armed with new information, I set out across the field looking for pottery shards. I get way into the corner of the field and notice there are lots of rocks. I start to look a bit closer and find one small piece of Roman pottery, then 2, then 6, then it is all over the place. Bottoms of bowls, handles, rims of things.

So out comes the e-Trac and I hadn't gone 10 feet and I get my ears blown off. 10-42 screaming DIG ME!!!! Well I did. Walked about 20 more feet, same thing. Walked a bit more. Same thing.

I only had about 3 hours in the field as I had already checked out of the B&B at the farm and I had to get the rental car back to Amsterdam. But I think I can say that I found the Villa!! If there would have been a cow in the field, I may have tried to kiss it.

Enjoy!!

Daryl

Attachments

• RomanVilla.jpg
    RomanVilla.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 905
Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yep I'd happily get out of bed for that.

RickyD

Jan 21, 2006
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 550. Garrett Pro Pointer
With the amount of research you did, you deserved your finds. Congrats! It must have killed you to walk away from there!

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
In the infamous words of Arnold and Douglas McAuthur - I'll be back & I shall return.

Hertz - 18 Euros a day - 6 hour drive - Priceless.

Daryl

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good research and it payed off! Once You get the shards, the coins are not far away. And You got some real beauties there! A good reason to come back to this place!

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Got till the end of September and the crops are coming out of the 770 acres that make the farm.

I'll be there!!

Daryl

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o

Judging by the size of the coins found, the site has never seen a detector :o when we found our Villa site we knew it had never been detected or recorded, The large Sestertius looks like a Antoninus Pius 131-168, if so a nice early site that should produce Amazing finds :icon_thumleft:

SS

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sucking down good wine, stuffing your face with good bread and cheese, being rude right back to the Parisians, (I'm meaning the waiters), and finding those finds, Hell, I wouldn't even get into bed!

Bet you can't wait to get home and rediscover all those corroded zinc pennies and pulltabs!

Carl

P.S. Never, ever, kiss a French cow.
Trust me.

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
I agree with you Silver Searcher. This entire farm has not been touched. Would you believe 2 of the coins were eye finds!!!! Early finds?? Notice the small Celtic coin in the top row center? There is a mix of all kinds of good old stuff. I've got 2 more months and they promised me they would keep others off the fields for as long as I wanted to research the land. I've only searched about 10 acres out of the over 700 that is in crop on both sides of the Roman road. Hell I may die there.

To CurbdiggerCarl57, I agree about being rude right back but I just don't understand it in France. They have McDonald's out the ying yang but go in and order a Big Mac. It's right there on the big sign behind the counter but NOBODY working there understands the words "Big" "Mac." You have to point at it to get one. So you work at a place that sells American food and you can't even say the things on the menu????? Geez.

About the cow, are you talking about French Kissing a cow or just kissing a cow in France? :dontknow:

Daryl

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, nice coins and looks like you have a small Celtic coin as well! Congrats and HH, Mike

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bavaria Mike said:
Wow, nice coins and looks like you have a small Celtic coin as well! Congrats and HH, Mike

Yes another rare BC Potin :o

Nice hunt there, I love finding the site, you described exactly what its all about :thumbsup:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Loved reading your post BioProf! :icon_thumright:

Great job in the research department too! :notworthy:

These two coins are my favourites . . . wish I was there with you! :thumbsup:

I'd have no trouble being rude to the Parisian waiters since I know a lot of French swear words! :laughing7:

HH,
Dave

PS. Sorry Daryl, I forgot to put the pictures up! :laughing9:

Attachments

• Roman Villa01.jpg
    Roman Villa01.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 334
  • Roman Villa02.jpg
    Roman Villa02.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 331
OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Hi Dave,

But they know more and better words than you do. ;D

What 2 coins do you like?

Daryl

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, lovely pile of ancient loot, BP! :hello2: Congrats! It is sweet your research is paying off. :icon_thumleft:

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread