Back to reality...

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the comments on my silver finds. I'm honored at all of the attention. Many of you have suggested in pm's that I stash them in my safe deposit box at the bank, and I think you are probably right about that. So off they will go for now. Also... many of you are assuming I found them in Maryland. To be clear, I have never said I found them in Maryland. I live only a few minutes from four different states and I metal detect in them all regularly.

As to todays finds, back to Civil War bullets...

Here is a nice assortment of fired and dropped bullets. The Enfield still has the boxwood plug in the base so I'll have to wait until it dries up and falls out to see if it is marked. It's good to have something to look forward to!

Attachments

• P8080012.JPG
    P8080012.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 725
Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've lived in Md. all my life Beau....Isn't it great to hit the mountain's and the Atlantic all in a few hour's :headbang: Not to mention all the CW Junk :thumbsup:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aquachigger said:
Thanks for all of the comments on my silver finds. I'm honored at all of the attention. Many of you have suggested in pm's that I stash them in my safe deposit box at the bank, and I think you are probably right about that. So off they will go for now. Also... many of you are assuming I found them in Maryland. To be clear, I have never said I found them in Maryland. I live only a few minutes from four different states and I metal detect in them all regularly.

Here is a nice assortment of fired and dropped bullets. The Enfield still has the boxwood plug in the base so I'll have to wait until it dries up and falls out to see if it is marked. It's good to have something to look forward to!

Nice Bullets..Yes, gotta love when the Boxwood Plug is still in them. I found this one awhile back....very seldom do you find them with the Wood Plug still in them......this one was marked "57"

index.php

index.php

index.php

OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
aquachigger said:

Nice Bullets..Yes, gotta love when the Boxwood Plug is still in them. I found this one awhile back....very seldom do you find them with the Wood Plug still in them......this on was marked "57"

That's a nice one! I'm hoping mine at least has something in it. And yes cm1... Maryland does have a lot to offer. But I grew up in WV and still spend a lot of time "over there" :laughing7:

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"To be clear, I have never said I found them in Maryland. I live only a few minutes from four different states and I metal detect in them all regularly."

You are a wise man Beau. :laughing7:

BTW, when's that video coming? I can't wait!

Nice bullet finds!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some nice CW lead AC. :hello2:
I've only found three of the Enfields with the plug still in them. All had a "57".
Congrats,
MM

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
I've only found three of the Enfields with the plug still in them. All had a "57".
Congrats,
MM

I can remember back when you were looking for your first! You've come a long way Daniel-son :wink: ;D :occasion14:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
ModernMiner said:
Congrats,
MM

I can remember back when you were looking for your first! You've come a long way Daniel-son :wink: ;D :occasion14:

LMAO!! Thanks Josh. I found all three in the same camp area. :thumbsup:
-Dug-

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bama20a said:
NOLA_Ken said:
Ok.....I have to know......What is the wood plug for?
,Glad you asked that.I was wondering the same thing.
:hello:

Renowned English gunsmith William Greener invented the Greener bullet in 1836. It was very similar to Norton's bullet except that the hollow base of the bullet was fitted with a wooden plug which more reliably forced the base of the bullet to expand and catch the rifling. Tests proved that Greener's bullet was extremely effective but it too was rejected for military use because, being two parts, it was judged as being too complicated to produce.

SS

OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
bama20a said:
NOLA_Ken said:

Renowned English gunsmith William Greener invented the Greener bullet in 1836. It was very similar to Norton's bullet except that the hollow base of the bullet was fitted with a wooden plug which more reliably forced the base of the bullet to expand and catch the rifling. Tests proved that Greener's bullet was extremely effective but it too was rejected for military use because, being two parts, it was judged as being too complicated to produce.

SS

Thanks for getting my back on that one. I'm slipping! :notworthy:

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Reality is looking good Beau! Nice bullets brother WTG

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aquachigger said:
Silver Searcher said:
bama20a said:
NOLA_Ken said:

SS

Thanks for getting my back on that one. I'm slipping! :notworthy:
If I had found a Ton of Silver :o I would be slipping to :laughing9: :wink:

SS

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
aquachigger said:

cool bullets...

AC - be really careful about putting things of real value in a safety deposit box. when my girl friends gramps died recently he left with out a current will. the first thing his relatives did was hire a lawyer- they wanted to check out the safety deposit box at one of his banks- (he had a few banks)- the bank said NO WAY- not until the IRS rep can be present. so basically his kids couldn't remove or even see the contents of the box until the government had a chance to pick through his 'stash'.

I also know as being a history follower er buff. that in 1933 when the goberment was first realizing they were broke (again? right?) they decided to confiscate all gold. who's to say that wouldn't do that again with silver. it might be a good idea to get a nice safe of some kind.
I'm glad you found that big haul, and I'm also glad your sharing other great finds here. keep up the great work man! :headbang: I hope to find some good stuff soon myself...

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chigger you are just killing it! Coins, awesome bullets and a real 'spectable guy.

A note on the safety deposit box thing. For about the last 45 years, the standing order from both of my parents, if anything ever happens to both of us, "Drop what you are doing and empty the safety deposit box." That would be before their passing became common knowledge. Before any lawyer was contacted, before there was any official looking into the assets. Dads take on it was, empty it before someone told your survivors that you couldn't.

I know, it is a longshot, but it does happen. Mom has been gone 4 years this month, but the order still stands. Empty it first then call the funeral home.

I still can't get over the awesome coins you retrieved. I look at them several times a day.

Good Luck!

Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions