Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The forgotten legend "The Dascombe" and "The Victoria" Nuggets

In the second year of the gold rush 1852, Thousands of miners moved north looking for richer grounds . They hacked their way threw thick scrub until they can to the edge of a group hills and gullies. The largest hill was later called Lightning Hill. The gully below got the name of The White Horse Gully, from the vast number of english black bottles disguarded by the miners.White Horse Of kent or Tooth Brewery. In matter of a few days 2 nuggets with a wieght of more than 400 ozs had been found . Named the Victoria and Dascombe. As the gold rush spread to other locations and bigger nuggets were found .These 2 became some what forgotten.

The White Horse Gully has been hunted death over the years but still theres gold to be had. Resent rain has forced to take to higher ground and pick off small areas that are not overgrown. Been our wettest year on record 497MM of rain so far. Yes been raining heavy again today.Got some interesting sounds on the Gpx from wet ground.I did have to change my ground balance a bit as the Mono coil is not water proof. Bit of duct tape round the skid plate helps little just have to keep coil a bit higher and ajust settings to suit. Heres my finds for Month so far.

tinpan

Attachments

• 100_0969.jpg
    100_0969.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 573
  • 100_0971.jpg
    100_0971.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 558
Upvote 0

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: The forgotten legend "The Dascombe" and "The Victoria" Nuggets

sweet :thumbsup:

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice TP and good story, congrats on the gold! HH, Mike

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thanks for the replies, Been out 4 times this week for nothing as far as gold goes. Yep got a few coins and miners relics but one does get tried of been bound by histroy .

tinpan

summoner

Tenderfoot
Jun 23, 2011

Cool story and very nice finds :)

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gold, gold, gold......gotta love gold!!! Great finds, as usual. (If you find a nugget the size of the two discussed,
will you show us? let us in on the find? :)
It has been wet, here in S. Korea, too. Talked to my friend from the north part of South Korea.....they had 660+ mm's
of rain in a five day period. Everything is soaked full.....so new rain just runs off.....lots of flooding/mudslides/ruined rice
crops and farmland. Really the wettest summer I have ever seen, since first being here in 1974.
Keep those finds coming.....you ae going to have a bottle or cup of gold, if you keep at it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread