1849 $ 10 gold found

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Wish I could say I found this (I know it can't count towards the banner, unless the finder himself is the thread-author). It was found by a friend of mine a week ago, as 3 of us hunted a site here in CA. This site has turned up at least one other gold coin (an 1846 O $5) in the past, in addition to reales, early seateds, gilt buttons, etc....

Other finds this night was 2 small phoenix buttons (#14 and #29).

08_12_2011023.jpg

08_12_2011025.jpg

Upvote 0

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Thanks for sharing-I'm still loooking for my 1st Gold Coin-goldnugget,Charlotte,North Carolina

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow. sure wish I could find a sack full of those :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom_in_CA said:
Mighty-mace, it reads right around zinc-penny-ish. Alloyed gold might be a "low conductor", but when you get a large enough quantity of gold, of ANY carot, and it will read higher. For example: The tab off of an aluminum can reads around tab range, right? But an entire aluminum can reads up at dime or quarter, right? Yet their both the exact same composition (aluminum), right? The only diffrerence between the tab and the can, is the size of the object. Same too for gold items. The larger the gold item (ring, coin, etc...) the higher the TID is going to be.
Awesome Piece :o
love those fat Eagles...
I would consider a 'Forty Niner' a key date, regardless of what books say.
Great info on the differences in readings regarding mass.
Big help for those who have yet to experience ' The Yellow Gleam '
Thanks for showing :thumbsup:

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
that is what it is all about!! congrats to your friend, it is a beautiful coin!

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats my ambition right there in detecting to just find one gold coin before i can't detect anymore or what ever happens

hopperdave

Aug 21, 2011
H O L Y S H * * ! ! !

BIG congrats! Amazing find!

I haven't been out with a detector in a long time, but the pursuit still fascinates me. Whether it's coins, nuggets, Civil War relics, whatever, it's always interesting. Unbelievable that sweet gold coins are still out there to be found, and TWO were found at the same site! You've got a knack! Yeah, it wasn't you personally that found it, but you were present, and that's the next best thing. You guys were in the right place, and did your research... and this brings me to these questions:

Could you describe the type of site you guys were searching? I'm not asking for directions or anything, but some general info about the site would be great: what the site was "back in the day", what it looks like now, how you guys decided on this site, how it was researched, how you knew you were in the right place, etc. If you could clearly explain the process that led to the discovery of the brilliant find(s), as a (temporary) armchair THer, I'd enjoy learning or thing or two.

Like I said, I haven't been out with the machine a looong time (health problems among others), but I enjoy researching stuff like this; how would I go about locating a productive site near where I live? How was your site chosen? I'm familiar with basic research (libraries, old city/county/state maps), but with two golds at the same site, you're on to something!

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hopper Dave, it was an area used as a "travelor hub" cross-roads type of area. A sort of epicenter of a particular geographic locale, where everyone came together to socialize, gather, etc.... Travelors would stay and camp at this site, etc....

So basically, anywhere commercial or traveler activity took place (like stage stops or camp-sites) is good. And best yet when there's been little activity at the site since the turn-of-century, so as to minimize the trash and junk at the site. So for example, a travelor/stage stop that is now nothing more than a cow pasture, with no human influence for 80 or 100 yrs, is most ideal.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hopperdave said:
H O L Y S H * * ! ! !

BIG congrats! Amazing find!

I haven't been out with a detector in a long time, but the pursuit still fascinates me. Whether it's coins, nuggets, Civil War relics, whatever, it's always interesting. Unbelievable that sweet gold coins are still out there to be found, and TWO were found at the same site! You've got a knack! Yeah, it wasn't you personally that found it, but you were present, and that's the next best thing. You guys were in the right place, and did your research... and this brings me to these questions:

Could you describe the type of site you guys were searching? I'm not asking for directions or anything, but some general info about the site would be great: what the site was "back in the day", what it looks like now, how you guys decided on this site, how it was researched, how you knew you were in the right place, etc. If you could clearly explain the process that led to the discovery of the brilliant find(s), as a (temporary) armchair THer, I'd enjoy learning or thing or two.

Like I said, I haven't been out with the machine a looong time (health problems among others), but I enjoy researching stuff like this; how would I go about locating a productive site near where I live? How was your site chosen? I'm familiar with basic research (libraries, old city/county/state maps), but with two golds at the same site, you're on to something!

Just to add to Toms statement,and I think Tom will have observed the same....where gold coins were common currency,often where one is found there is at least one other...not always but it happens.Also gold coins were often cached and well we all know about those!Unless you are on the trail of a researched cache,you cant ever "expect",to find them either,you can hunt in sites that run a high possibility of one being there,but even at that there is a wide window to when the gold coins were used.I know with the several I have been "involved",with they were out of the Blue surprises,and no none were very deep.As Tom also touched on they came in at Zinc Pennies(On Whites machines)and were not the greatest signals

cellar dweller

Jan 7, 2007
connecticut
Detector(s) used
whites dfx , minelab excal II
The beauty of that coin alone makes it a great find!! Tell me somebody, "What karet gold were U S coins minted in,? and what does a ten dollar piece weigh? thanks

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.900 gold.100 copper .48375 oz 16.718 grams 31.103 grams to a Troy ounce

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread