ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'm finally getting the hang of this detecting lark :laughing7:

Dad & I went out today expecting a few Roman Coins as I had decided to carry on from where I had the Roman Silver last week. On the very first run after 5 minutes & 3 digs into the hunt, out pops a Silver Ingot. I look at it & immediately think Viking, but hold on a second we are on the edge of a Roman site :icon_scratch: So I begin convincing myself it must be Roman but might be Viking :dontknow: After some quick research I found the following:
http://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/258765

So I'm 99% sure I have my first Viking circa 1000AD Silver Ingot, often melted down from Saxon plunder & then traded in handy sized ingots :read2: These are considered Rare & was on my impossible list but there it was with no other Saxon/Viking age items on the edge of a Roman Site. ::)

We carried on for 1 hour with no other finds, so moved to the field next door & got the following:

Large Roman Lead Steelyard Weight
Broken Roman Bronze Bracelet
Broken Silver Hammered of Ed I
7 Roman Bronze coins, 1 we need - Ses. of Gordian III AD240

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 7,867
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 7,671
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 7,747
  • Ingot.jpg
    Ingot.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 8,240
Upvote 4

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow awesome finds!!

It sure seems as if the area was of high activity.

Hopefully you can keep hunting there and find some more of that great stuff!

Are you plotting your finds on a map?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Au_Dreamers said:
Wow awesome finds!!

It sure seems as if the area was of high activity.

Hopefully you can keep hunting there and find some more of that great stuff!

Are you plotting your finds on a map?

Its been used since the Bronze Age, as its a spring site.

We will hunt there for many years :wink:

Yes all finds (significant ones, ie. not every button) are GPSed (to within 11ft accuracy) & maps are made & handed to the land owners. :icon_thumright:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Excellent finds on this site--well done!

All the best,

Lanny

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear CRUSADER

A truly marvelous find. :icon_thumleft:

I can confirm your specification of the find as an ingot.

I have added a picture of trading silver finds of mine from a Viking tradingstation here in Denmark.
In the middle of the lot you see an almost exact similar ingot. A bit of one end has been cut off.

Congrats ! :hello:

1099qg.jpg

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fortunehunter said:
What are the odds of finding an American penny?

If you mean at my place in Denmark, I?d say odds are low. :dontknow:
However I once found a US halfdollar JFK on a field. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheDane said:
Dear CRUSADER

A truly marvelous find. :icon_thumleft:

I can confirm your specification of the find as an ingot.

I have added a picture of trading silver finds of mine from a Viking tradingstation here in Denmark.
In the middle of the lot you see an almost exact similar ingot. A bit of one end has been cut off.

Congrats ! :hello:

1099qg.jpg
Thanks for your input, it means a lot to me :icon_thumright:
As far as I'm aware these have only been recorded in Viking Hoards (as well as random loses) and have never been found in context with any other period. As you stated, many have been found in the home country. :read2:

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Congrats on the incredible piece of history you found!

One thing I find interesting from the article you posted is "...pieces like this are usually associated with larger hordes of silver."

Any thoughts on the possibility of a hoard being in the area?

HH,
Brian

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cal_Cobra said:
Congrats on the incredible piece of history you found!

One thing I find interesting from the article you posted is "...pieces like this are usually associated with larger hordes of silver."

Any thoughts on the possibility of a hoard being in the area?

HH,
Brian
I guess it's possible, but with my large coil it would have sung out well. We will of course keep checking in the future.

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: TREASURE - RARE VIKING SILVER INGOT...

CRUSADER said:
Colorado14ers said:
a silver bar is cool but a viking silver bar is just epic! congrats! :notworthy: :headbang:

Its just sinking in, as a find of a lifetime :P

Wouldn't it be crazy if you found another one?

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you keep all of the finds that you are allowed to and split 50/50 with the land owners ,you must put out alot of money to the farmers every year. Very noble and honest of you to keep your word with the land owners! Congrats on the historical and amazing find and thanks for the positive light you put on our hobby. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
birdman said:
So you keep all of the finds that you are allowed to and split 50/50 with the land owners ,you must put out alot of money to the farmers every year. Very noble and honest of you to keep your word with the land owners! Congrats on the historical and amazing find and thanks for the positive light you put on our hobby. :icon_thumright:
Not quite right we agree a 50/50 on any Treasure, & anything of a high value which is not Treasure we try & off-set by giving them something similar or a number of finds to make up the value (sometimes we give them a cheque to keep it, if they want the money; it costs quite a bit a year to keep rare items). As a general rule they get about 20% of the finds.

ZINCLID

Apr 2, 2010
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great! Wish we in the U.S.A. had such history as you folks in the U.K.----Where we might be lucky to find a few items over 150 or 200 years old--you folks regularly find items way older than that--Celtic/Viking finds----wow!

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sang to da tune of batman da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner da da da banner da da da da banner da da da da da banner

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOT DAMN THAT IS SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheers to the above, its been the year of the Viking for me, which has to be a memorable one :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions