May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 6-7 years ago a Saxon Coin of Hoard Quality (the one I sometimes use as my avatar), was found on a field with little else of any interest. Ever since then we have wondered, along with the farmer if there might be a deeper pot, as this period of coin (Æthelred the Unready) was during the Viking invasions when it was more common to bury hoards.
The farmer gave us a call that the field was perfectly flat as he had recently drilled it with seed. He never allows us on after seeding but I think the ££££ possibility had gone to his head, he also ploughed up a large stone & began to imagine it was a marker :laughing9:
Dad lead the way with a 3 hour clearance of smaller shallow objects & this evening I went over it with the 15" x 12". I did 2 hours with no real success other than a medieval buckle, but I think over the years we have now proven this to be a random loss & can quit a bad job.
Dad did pretty well on a short hunt of a nearby field where I got my first Celtic Gold Coin;
3 Roman Scrappies
Nice Tudor Buckle
Star find - 1st C BC-1st C AD Bronze Iron Age (Celtic) whatzit. Looks to be part of a swivel but I have never seen similar so :dontknow:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 859
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 854
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 856
Upvote 0

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
You had me going there :laughing7:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:

You know if its going to happen, it not going to be when we are actually trying :laughing9:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:

You know if its going to happen, it not going to be when we are actually trying :laughing9:

Plus I doubt that would be the title :laughing7:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:

Plus I doubt that would be the title :laughing7:

who knows, I may never post it :wink:

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good on you for giving it a go Cru. At least you don't have to wonder now about that part of that field. Still, there has to be more hoards out there, those Saxon era folk had little option other than to bury treasure they wanted to save. No safety deposit boxes back then, and with Hagar The Horrible types liable to burst through the door any old time there was a high risk of being looted.
Maybe it could pay to do a regular 2 hours a month with the big coil, seeing as you already have it anyway. Most of this time would be fruitless, but it only takes one big clay pot of gold staters, Roman gold what's it's, or jewel encrusted altar gold goodies to make your decade!
Thanks for all the great posts, Nuggy

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nuggy said:
Good on you for giving it a go Cru. At least you don't have to wonder now about that part of that field. Still, there has to be more hoards out there, those Saxon era folk had little option other than to bury treasure they wanted to save. No safety deposit boxes back then, and with Hagar The Horrible types liable to burst through the door any old time there was a high risk of being looted.
Maybe it could pay to do a regular 2 hours a month with the big coil, seeing as you already have it anyway. Most of this time would be fruitless, but it only takes one big clay pot of gold staters, Roman gold what's it's, or jewel encrusted altar gold goodies to make your decade!
Thanks for all the great posts, Nuggy
That is exactly right, we can move on. I reserve the big coil for when targets have been cleared with the 11", otherwise this coil does an amazing job. Even though its a big coil, I find items no bigger than 4mmx4mm. Hard to see some of them.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love that old stuff!! :notworthy: MR TUFF

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought you true were a Relic hunter (the best UK) .... but you begin to be a dreamer treasure hunter. :'(

Is a joke .... :D

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HISPAN said:
I thought you true were a Relic hunter (the best UK) .... but you begin to be a dreamer treasure hunter. :'(

Is a joke .... :D
Not even close to the best UK, so definitely a joke :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread