75.6 KB · Views: 493
Upvote 0

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Very nice old dog tag, :icon_thumright: , Congrats!

TommNJ

leslie(nova scotia)

Silver Member
Sep 22, 2006
lower sackville,nova scotia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garretts only
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the land of the Bluenose....man that is old. Multiply in dog years by 7......................................yopuz going to be around den me sun....not dis bouy! Nice scoff youz!

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
an 1885 dog tag would be more ornate
Sorry to say but it's a 1952
Do some research and you'll find out that Minnneapolis didn't have tags then

coffeefreek

Apr 3, 2009
Northern Idaho
Did a google search for "Minneapolis Dog Tax" found that there were ones listed from 1889 that were octogon in shape but the same pattern. That tag was in the 2700 range and there was one in the 4000 range. It appears that this could be from 1885. There are many listed on line from the late 1800's. Good Find! I think you have an OLD tag!

OP
OP
milco

milco

Nov 4, 2010
D P Bob said:

I thought the same thing at first, but then I compared this to other 19th Century tags and also corresponded with a dog tag collector who stated that the tag/license # is almost always larger than the year date.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Congrats Darren!
I too would think it's number 1885 for a 1952 tag but by 1952 they had more of legend on them usually including some Dept. of Health or other such info.

Awesome good find!

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only two images of dog tags in that general time frame had the first number as the license number and the number at the bottom is the date, so yours would be tag number 1952 from 1885 following this flow of logic. Only thing is this could have changed in later years swapping the two number positions. Looking at what it was stamped on though, that looks more modern than the other two tags, plus the stamping on the other two tags was a little more crude than yours. If I had to take a guess I would have to lean the same way everyone else is leaning, tag number 1885 from date 1952. But I have been wrong before.

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
This is denfinitely an 1885 tag with serial #1952. I exchanged a few e-mails with the world's leading authority on dog tax tags, BILL BONE. He's been documenting and recording dog tags for over 41 years now. He's the author of US DOG LINCENSE TAGS.

Currently, the oldest known Minneapolis dog tag reported to Mr. Bone is dated 1883. Then the next one is dated 1886. But now this one that you've found is the only known one dated 1885!

NICE FIND!!!!

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
milco said:
D P Bob said:

I thought the same thing at first, but then I compared this to other 19th Century tags and also corresponded with a dog tag collector who stated that the tag/license # is almost always larger than the year date.

That is exactly right! The serial number digits are always larger than the date digits!
this is true not only on old tags, but on the new ones too!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oddcoins said:
This is denfinitely an 1885 tag with serial #1952. I exchanged a few e-mails with the world's leading authority on dog tax tags, BILL BONE. He's been documenting and recording dog tags for over 41 years now. He's the author of US DOG LINCENSE TAGS.

Currently, the oldest known Minneapolis dog tag reported to Mr. Bone is dated 1883. Then the next one is dated 1886. But now this one that you've found is the only known one dated 1885!

NICE FIND!!!!

WOW!!! Awesome find. :thumbsup: :hello2:
Congrats,
MM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread