River finds

Arctica

Oct 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC, AT-PRO, ACE250, Home-made pinpointer
Last week we had a special opportunity to enjoy river hunting in this river which flows through our home town. They did some renovation work to the dam walls and the water power plants. That is why they shut the master dam and the whole river dried up.

koski1700.JPG

koski3700.JPG
First came the city workers who collected loads of old bikes, bar chairs and tables plus other junk (even a wheelchair..!) After them arrived an interesting mixture of people: some audience, some ”fishermen” (scooping fish with their little nets in these little ponds). Then came dozens of people making eye ball finds. We were a little bit late: when we arrived, all eye ball finds were already collected. However, there were something left for us treasure hunters:

kaikki800.JPG
Three silver spoons
Rings
Medals
etc...

haloo700.JPG
Ring ring... hello

haloo_2700.JPG
Ring ring hello part 2

-A-

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Arctica

Arctica

Oct 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC, AT-PRO, ACE250, Home-made pinpointer
More finds:
spitfire600.JPG
Supermarine Spitfire and VW new beetle

rings600.JPG
Steel ring (fossil) and silver ring

napit600.JPG
Two old buttons

uistin700.JPG
Fishing lures

kamera600.JPG
Old Russian camera

-A-

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Wish they would do that on the Thames :o great finds, must be more there :icon_thumleft:

SS

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
They should do this to a couple of other rivers I know. The Truckee river outside Reno has a bridge that is the traditional place to toss your wedding ring after a quickie Reno divorce. I am sure thousands of rings were tossed there in the 50's and 60's, and probably long before.

No Jimmy Hoffa?

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would'nt get me out of there until the water came back! Keep hunting!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet Id hit that With A Vacation Day or 2 !!! HH Chug And Rubber Boots !!!!

Shark27

Aug 5, 2010
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50 & Garrett Pro Pointer
Nice finds! I would love to have a run at a dried up river. Nice cell phone stash...any old coins?

shark27

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that looks like a great place to hunt. I hope the river stays dry for a while, im sure there are lots more stuff there too. I see you also have a medal from Finland in the upper right corner of the pic.

Good luck!!

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
way cool finds!!! MR TUFF

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
I would hunt that river until the water rose above my head! Maybe.

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
High Plains Digger said:
They should do this to a couple of other rivers I know. The Truckee river outside Reno has a bridge that is the traditional place to toss your wedding ring after a quickie Reno divorce. I am sure thousands of rings were tossed there in the 50's and 60's, and probably long before.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...d=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

"It is widely debated as to how the ring-tossing tradition began and some historians even believe the whole thing was quite simply a publicity stunt dreamed up by Reno officials hoping to lure divorce-seekers – and their money – into the city. The first known account of the Virginia Street Bridge ring-fling was depicted in a 1927 informational pamphlet titled “Reno! It Won’t Be Long Now: Ninety Days and Freedom”. The custom became more widely known when Cornelius Vanderbilt, Jr., who came to the Silver State in 1927 in order to obtain a divorce, penned his 1929 premiere novel Reno, in which one of his main characters throws his wedding band into the Truckee River. In October of 1930, a movie based on Vanderbilt’s book was released and the rest, as they say, is history. And while numerous historians were apt to dismiss the tradition as myth, the ring-toss lore became inexorably woven into the pages of Reno’s history and in 1976, three fortune-seeking citizens who were searching for coins in the Truckee River wound up excavating more than 400 wedding bands from the area directly underneath the Virginia Street Bridge, forever quieting the legend’s many naysayers."

Mortifercain

Aug 11, 2011
indiana
never understood that. i hate my naggy girl friend so im gonna toss my expensive phone in the river lol. you have quite the nice spot there man. i like the fossil ring best i have 2 of there watches

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love the style Mudlarking detection, it is curious as in the rivers of some cities are concentrated many interesting findings, in my town we have two rivers, but are located on the outskirts of town and not worth hunting them ... just the beach.
I love the old silver ring and the presentation of the post. :thumbsup:
H

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread