Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scroll down to Page 12 to see the Slave Bracelet in the Western & Eastern Treasures magazine, April 2012 issue. My SAMBO Cap Gun also made the same article. Here is the original post on SAMBO:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ap-gun-1897-before-after-pics.html#msg3016733
'Ole' Sambo didn't make the banner so I was really happy to see it in W&E magazine.

Hey Gang, Two weeks ago I dug what I thought was an old bracelet. At first glance, I thought it was one of those copper arthritis bracelets, so I threw it in my pouch without much of a to-do. After getting home and examining it, I realized it was not 'grannies copper arthritis bracelet.' I posted it on the What Is It forum and got an array of ideas from hog, bull nose rings to key chains. Although several people thought it was a trade bracelet. The link to the original post is listed below.

With so many different opinions, I shelled out a few bucks and had it professionally appraised. The bottom line: It's an African Slave Trade Bracelet circa 1700-1750!!! :headbang:

Here is the appraisal:

I have closely examined the information you have submitted. Thank you for the images and descriptive information. My findings are based on this information.
Your item is a brass slave bracelet from Africa; the bracelet has the "horns" at the end indicative of African slave bracelets. I would date the bracelet C. 1700-1750.
You stated it was found in an area where the Saponi Indians once lived. The Saponi were originally from Virginia and North Carolina, many later relocated to Ontario, Canada, Georgia, Tennessee and Ohio and disappeared from the historical record as a tribe by the end of the 18th century (1700-1750). The interesting facts about the Saponi are that they were at one time classified by some anthropologists as being known as tri-racial isolates. Records have shown that the Saponi had European, African and Native American ancestry in varying degrees, the above mentioned tri-racial groups did settle and create communities in frontier and border areas of the southern states.
The first slaves were brought from Africa to SOUTH Carolina in 1670 and North Carolina did not play a large part in the early slave trade, but North Carolina did rely on slaves for carpentry, masonry, and construction as well as agriculture.
The bracelet is very similar to 18th century African slave bracelets. North Carolina jewelry made by Native American tribes in the 18th century were made out of bone, shells, polished stones, beads, copper, and from brass obtained from white traders. The Saponi would not have had access to metals unless it was a trade to them by the European settlers (not made by the Saponi, but worn by a tribe member).
The value would be between $95.00 and $125.00 in today's retail market. The market comparison approach to value was used which estimates value by comparison with properties sold in the relevant market, with adjustments made for all differences that affect value, such as differences in characteristics of value, in market layer, and in time. The values listed below may vary depending on how and where it is marketed.

Kindest regards,
Joan Whatton
American Society of Appraisers
Jondre` Appraisal Services, LLC

Here's a link to the original post:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=418015.msg2993342#msg2993342

Attachments

• Bracelet1.jpg
    Bracelet1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 6,308
  • Bracelet2.jpg
    Bracelet2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 6,234
  • Bracelet3.jpg
    Bracelet3.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 6,102
  • Bracelet4.jpg
    Bracelet4.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 6,196
  • Bracelet1.jpg
    Bracelet1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 6,055
  • Bracelet2.jpg
    Bracelet2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 6,039
  • Bracelet3.jpg
    Bracelet3.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 5,982
  • Bracelet4.jpg
    Bracelet4.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 5,956
Last edited:
Upvote 18

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Breezie. Thats a fantastic find ! First slave trade Bracelet I have seen posted on Tnet :hello2: You educated me today ! Thank you :icon_sunny: You followed your instincts and went the extra mile with this find now it's going to be on the BANNER :thumbsup: Well I am voting for it ! :thumbsup: Kudos to you ! MaineRelic

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations Breezie .. That is a wonderful piece of history! :hello2:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
indain trade bracelet --the saponi tribe was composed 3 differant groups that often intermarried -- african slaves (runaways) , outlaw whites , and native americans *** as a rule they did not hold with slavery or feel that one race was better than another (not a very popular point of view in those days with many white folks * ) - the tribe kept to themselves mainly ( they were isolates--living in the out of the way border areas away from the larger white populationed areas) --the brass rod material would have been traded to them , then worked into a bracelet by them most likely. * massively cool find.

as a tribe they became "lost" in the 1800 era

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can learn something new everyday on this web site.. awesome job.

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
This is such a fantastic find Breezie! And excellent instincts and research on your part :icon_thumleft:

You are on a roll! :wink: :headbang:

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
You deserve it Breezie!!!!!! :hello2:
Banner baby.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Id On Your Find!!!!! If we Could We would Vote For Banner Twice!!!! But Because We Share !!!!!! Here Is another Banner Vote For A Great Item!!! HH Chug and Red

OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want to say THANK YOU again for all the super nice comments and support I've received on this bracelet. I feel sure most of you know how it is when some of your family members really don't understand why you dig in the dirt, which is one reason why I certainly appreciate each and every one of you. :thumbsup: Breezie

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible Breezie!!! Congrats :icon_thumright: Banner vote.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Outstanding Find :o
More so the drive to research and identify what many may have just put in the 'General finds' bin.
Good Show :thumbsup:
Here's another vote :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread