Todays finds and a new thought (yes another one of my crazy ideas)

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Got some rolls of dimes, nickels, and pennies. Found a 1940, 1942 wheats. 1947, 1953, 1957 nickels. No keepers from the dimes. And got to wondering, what would it be like to go back in time to the late 1800s, early 1900s? Wouldnt it be fun to pay for milk with indian head cents and barbers? Anyone else think about this? Wouldnt it be really cool if the US mint made all the coins look like the old ones again. Meaning indian heads, buffaloes, barbers, SLQ's, WLH, and morgans. What fun! They wouldnt be made of silver or mainly copper of course because thats to expensive. Even a clad morgan would be fun though. Of course they would all be dated 2007, 2008, etc... but what fun!!! Also was wondering what will happen when all the old coins (or almost all) have been taken out of circulation. What is to be done then? Just my thoughts on topics like these, thats what i do with my spare time. Wow i am a differnet kid. Good luck and HH everyone!

-CC

Upvote 0

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about going back in time and collecting some of the gold coins and caching them somewhere where you know knobody will find them. Then coming back to present day and digging them up..... Instant profit ;D

God bless
Peter

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
....back to the future part 4.....Metal Detectors paradise. Or my luck, it would be a"twilight zone" episode! ;D ;D

Dave

OP
OP
coolcash2004

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Paul is Dead said:
How about staying out of your parent medicine cabinet!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

??? What medicine cabbinet? !? Hey brother pass the claritin please, actually no wait i will take the benadril, mmm. 2nds anyone? LOL!

-CC

garrettfan2

Jul 24, 2006
dallas ft worth
maybe a good way to encourage people to leave that stinking plastic money alone. is any one else noticing a dropoff in clad at the schools? i hear the children in some schools dont pay for school lunches with cash. they use an account setup with the school and some kind of credit card. havent verified it, but we are heading to the cashless world.and paperless.

OP
OP
coolcash2004

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
At my school you can use cash or a crddit card setup. I use cash, that way you can make sure they dont over charge you! One day when they say, "would you like paper or plastic" they will be refering to how you want your change. Sad.

-CC

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
As usual I'll walk the other side of the street on this one.

No, I wouldn't like to see them copy all the old great classic coins of the past. To me the main fun in all this (coinshooting) is sort of "touching the past" with every old coin I dig. To me, repros are thumbs down.

Now as for traveling back in time with the ability to return, I'm with ya there! I'm a big-time lover of all the time travel movies.

I've seen "Blue Yonder" so many times I'm almost beginning to like warm buttermilk ;D (you'd have to see the movie to get it).

Badger

OP
OP
coolcash2004

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
You and several other PM's have persuaded me Badger. Maybe repros wouldnt be good at all. Time travel is still great!

-CC

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Actually the US Mint does use some of the old designs on new coinage, 2 examples that come to mind are the walking liberty half motif can be found on our one ounce silver eagles from 86 or 87? onward and another example(my personal favorite) is the indian from the indian head nickel can now be found on the new 1 ounce 50 dollar gold piece that the mint released within the last couple of months, really sharp looking coin.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just wouldn't be the same...Take's all the excitement out of it,just my opinion.

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what would it be like to go back in time to the late 1800s, early 1900s

I'd just go back to yesterday and buy a Powerball ticket with the winning number! But it would be cool to go back to say, 1850 with a modern metal detector. Imagine the coins you'd find? WOW!

S

skydiv

those of us pushing 60 did spend those coins on milk, I do remember IH pennies and buffalo nickels. I think maybe not money people back then could afford to save alot of coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread