Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I decided to try a little THing today because my knee wasn’t hurting too much.

Our yard is very large and had heavy use back to the 1870's. I've dug coins here dated 1865.

Check out the big old pan I dug. Bet nobody will doubt I dug it. ;D The Nautilus features dual sound of all-metal and discrimination at one time. When I’m hunting I usually dig these big all-metal signals that discriminate out.

The button was pretty deep 9-11 inches. Is it anything?

The brass do-hicky by the bullet has me wondering what it is.

Anybody know what the bullet is? (about 8 inches).

Thanks,

Badger

Attachments

• button8-25-06a.jpg
    button8-25-06a.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 533
  • button8-25-06a2.jpg
    button8-25-06a2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 543
  • button8-25-06.jpg
    button8-25-06.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 542
  • button8-25-06b.jpg
    button8-25-06b.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 552
Upvote 0

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The bullet is a wad cutter, I am guessing for a .38...d2

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Very nice finds Badger! Sorry i dont know the ID of that item.

-CC

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
The big brass whatsit looks like it might be part of an old door lock mechanism.

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Interesting finds Badger. Aren't those large objects interesting digs? Dug up a small tire rim once-- thats hard work.Wish I could help ID your stuff- sorry. What does a person do with all the old relics?
HH & hope your Knee improves
:)

W

whites6000inPa

That big do-jigger looks like the slide off an old platform scale....except it's not large enough. Need to think about that one. It could be part of a lock mechanism...

Wyatt

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
PBK said:
The big brass whatsit looks like it might be part of an old door lock mechanism.
May be PBK.....Look's like it might be the latch?Sorry can't help with the button though,Some nice find's!!

TJPOPELKA

Jul 31, 2006
Escanaba, Mi
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/Minelab E-Trac
Glad to read that your knee is feeling better & that you were able to make it out for awhile. It rained all day here in the U.P.(Escanaba)-didn't get a chance to get out. It really seems like you love that new Nautilus machine-I am new to detecting this year and have a G. ace 250-which i do enjoy. I have researched your machine after reading a few of your other posts-seems like a pretty complicated machine-I feel I probably should get more experience before upgrading to that type of machine. I was just wondering-don't two different tones at the same
time(1 in each ear) get a little confusing-or is pretty easy to distinguish? I was just curious because you sure seem to like that machine & seem to have a lot of experience with many
different machines. I hope it was ok to ask you this on your thread?!

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI BADGER NICE FINDS.THAT CANNOT BE A TINPAN BECAUSE IT DOESNOT LOOK LIKE ME ??? ??? ???

TINPAN ;D ;D ;D

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my gosh Badger! What a big 'ole hole you must have left in your yard diggin up that pan! :D And that's a good question on the bullet too...I find them here and have been told 'wad cutter'. What is a 'wad cutter'? ???

So glad that your knee is feeling better! :) Glad you got to go out!

Nana ;)

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The brass doohickey might be some type of a buckle part, the push in to lock part....GUESS!

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
TJPOPELKA said:
Glad to read that your knee is feeling better & that you were able to make it out for awhile. It rained all day here in the U.P.(Escanaba)-didn't get a chance to get out. It really seems like you love that new Nautilus machine-I am new to detecting this year and have a G. ace 250-which i do enjoy. I have researched your machine after reading a few of your other posts-seems like a pretty complicated machine-I feel I probably should get more experience before upgrading to that type of machine. I was just wondering-don't two different tones at the same
time(1 in each ear) get a little confusing-or is pretty easy to distinguish? I was just curious because you sure seem to like that machine & seem to have a lot of experience with many
different machines. I hope it was ok to ask you this on your thread?!

It's okay to ask these things on here. I just have to be careful how I answer.

First off, all machines have their strong and weak points. No one machine offers everything in perfection.

With this in mind I'd say YES, I do like the Nautilus very much. It's about the 14th detector I've owned in the last 3-4 years. This one is the machine I'm staying with for land hunting here in Michigan. It's as deep as I'll ever need, that's for sure.

The Nautilus is NOT a difficult machine to learn. In fact, I'd say it's easier to use than an Ace 250 (on a beginner level). What really helps is to have someone who knows this machine give you a little help.

The dual tone is not confusing at all. The mellow, easy-on-the-ears all-metal is great. With it running smoothly and softly in the background you always know if a target is down there. It tells you many other things like the condition of the soil (higher mineralization, etc.) so you can check your ground balance. It also gives you a very good idea of the depth of the target and it's conductivity (quality all-metal is awesome).

The discrimination gives a easy-on-the-ears beep when you swing the coil over metals not discriminated out. When a target signals with both all-metal and discrimination at almost the same time you usually have a good target. If there's a gap of time between the all-metal signal and the discrimination beep it's most likely junk.

The Nautilus is the only machine with these features and is the only machine made with a tunable coil. The coil is about as hard to tune as it is for you to turn your Ace on. Yes, it's that simple and it stays tuned.

I could show anyone how to run a Nautilus and he'd be ready to go within 30 minutes time.

Now, to master the machine is another thing. That takes time in field learning how to hunt with the auto-tune feature turned off.

The down side is the weight. It's almost as heavy as the Minelab Explorer. However, you can buy a modify kit that makes it very light and easy on weaker arms.

Depth? I've just started with it but I've dug lots of shotgun shell brass at 8 inches deep and the signal strength is much like that of a soda can on the surface.

If you ever want to know more, write anytime.

Best to you,

Badger

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That part is the bolt of a mortice lock, the part that slides in and out when you lock your door. This is the actual part that locks the door. The cutout section on the flat part is where the key actually turns pushing the section in or out depending on direction of key travel.... Hope you understand this ???

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Nana40 said:
Oh my gosh Badger! What a big 'ole hole you must have left in your yard diggin up that pan! :D And that's a good question on the bullet too...I find them here and have been told 'wad cutter'. What is a 'wad cutter'? ???

So glad that your knee is feeling better! :) Glad you got to go out!

Nana ;)

LOL! I kind of feel sorry for my wife. She looks out and sees me digging and just has this sad concerned look all over her face. But, it's recovery therapy ;) I mean, what's a yard for but to enjoy? Right? ;D

Many times I think about that BAR CENT Lonewolfe dug right here in good old northern Michigan! Worth today $5,000+.

What you been digging lately Nana? Are you being humble and not telling us?

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
pgill said:
That part is the bolt of a mortice lock, the part that slides in and out when you lock your door. This is the actual part that locks the door. The cutout section on the flat part is where the key actually turns pushing the section in or out depending on direction of key travel.... Hope you understand this ???

Thanks for the detailed info on the lock part! There was once an old church here and house back in the 1800's.

Thanks to everyone who posted!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread