Daughters Purse Find... 1793 Half Cent. Is it real?

Gadget

Sep 10, 2005
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• 1793a.jpg
    1793a.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,553
  • 1793b.jpg
    1793b.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,591
Upvote 0

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Daughter's Purse Find... Is it real???

Wow--that would be an amazing find in your change! Let us know what you find out!

OP
OP
Gadget

Gadget

Sep 10, 2005
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Daughter's Purse Find... Is it real???

What tips you off that it's a repro?

OP
OP
Gadget

Gadget

Sep 10, 2005
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Daughter's Purse Find... 1793 Half Cent. Is it real?

I see what you mean. Thanks for the help. I think I'll let her think she's got a $100K coin for another day. ;D

Slabman

Jan 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
XLT, Quattro, X-Terra, Sovreign, Whites Goldmaster

Hey Gadget,
I would have it checked out. I went to a numismatic site, and this is what I found:
"It is debatable as to whether 1793 Liberty Cap Cents are a one-year type. The PCGS and some large cent experts regard 1793 Liberty Caps as a one-year type; the NGC and other experts view Liberty Cap Cents dating from 1793 to 1796 as all being of the same design type. The main difference between 1793 Liberty Cap Cents and those Liberty Cap Cents dating from 1794 to 1796 is that the 1793s have beaded borders while the later Liberty Caps have dentilated borders. Dentils, which are sometimes called denticles, are tooth-like devices near the edge. Dentils are different from beads, which are sort of like oval buttons."

Here is the link for the page where I found this info:
http://www.coinlink.com/News/us-coi...uarter-eagles-one-year-type-coins-in-general/

Could be the find of a lifetime!!
Slab

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gadget said:
I see what you mean. Thanks for the help. I think I'll let her think she's got a $100K coin for another day. ;D
:-\ she will be heart broken . one that CMD dug in 12-2009 , was wacked by farm equipment or a hammer 8) 25,000 minted less than 550 are known to exist ... a great coin . Looks like big trouble heading our way ,, A mandatory evacuation of Cape May County and the Barrier Islands of New Jersey have been ordered ,,, take care my friends dawg

Attachments

• 1793 halfcent.jpg
    1793 halfcent.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 1,580

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008

The Smithsonian called, they want their half cent back.

What would she buy to get a half cent back in change? Just thinking. Shouldn't do that, it leaves a mark.

Cable

Dec 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
mxt, dfx, gmt,f75ltd, f5, gold bug, bhid

I would agree with slabber----not so fast nad have it checked---you just never know. where the specs stating that isn't the real thing-----good luck

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Would really be something if it was real! but... It's not even close. It's not even a quality fake. Zero chance.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

These scans are from the 2010 Red book. The 1793 had a beaded edge and the 1794-1797 have the dentil edge. The 93 faces left while the others face right. The date on the first pic may look like 1795 but it is a 1793.

Attachments

• 1793 half cent.jpg
    1793 half cent.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,353
  • Half Cents.jpg
    Half Cents.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1,330

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree with IP, IMO the strike is WAY too perfect and doesn't even look like it stands a chance...every single one of the reeds near the edge looks completely flawless with zero dirt or anything in between and it's perfectly centered and smooth. Still kinda cool to show people though. :)

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Cool Piece :wink:
not stamped 'COPY' ;D

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Another thing to look for is the lettered edge TWO HUNDRED FOR A DOLLAR. If I remember, counterfeiters could not cast a copy with the edge details, not sure about electrotypes though.
Here is a unusual photo I did with one of my two 1793's I found. Not sure exactly how I did it (back in the 90s), but I remember using a Mag Light cone to get the photo of the coin and the edge lettering. :wink:

Another difference besides what has previous been mentioned is the 1793 is about 1.5mm smaller than the other Liberty Cap Half Cents.

Don

Attachments

• 1793eyeball.jpg
    1793eyeball.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 1,131

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wounder how that got in her purse maybe a 200 year old purse :laughing7:, it looks fake to me because allot of things look wrong to me comparing it with real ones, but really how did it get in her purse and if someone gave it to her in there change what coin would they mix it up with, a Canadian dollar coin but your in America :dontknow:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Slabman said:
Hey Gadget,
I would have it checked out. I went to a numismatic site, and this is what I found:
"It is debatable as to whether 1793 Liberty Cap Cents are a one-year type. The PCGS and some large cent experts regard 1793 Liberty Caps as a one-year type; the NGC and other experts view Liberty Cap Cents dating from 1793 to 1796 as all being of the same design type. The main difference between 1793 Liberty Cap Cents and those Liberty Cap Cents dating from 1794 to 1796 is that the 1793s have beaded borders while the later Liberty Caps have dentilated borders. Dentils, which are sometimes called denticles, are tooth-like devices near the edge. Dentils are different from beads, which are sort of like oval buttons."

Here is the link for the page where I found this info:

http://www.coinlink.com/News/us-coi...uarter-eagles-one-year-type-coins-in-general/

Could be the find of a lifetime!!
Slab

Left, and right facing busts, considdered same type ?....that's why "NGC", and "experts" shouldn't be in the same sentence.

steelheadwill said:
Cool Piece :wink:
not stamped 'COPY' ;D

The chinese will make you any coin you want without COPY, they will put it in a PCGS holder for you too.

Anyone notice the small raised dot in center of reverse.

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:dontknow: :icon_scratch:
It's questionable so do the research so that you know exactly what you have in your hand.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
Another thing to look for is the lettered edge TWO HUNDRED FOR A DOLLAR. If I remember, counterfeiters could not cast a copy with the edge details, not sure about electrotypes though.
Here is a unusual photo I did with one of my two 1793's I found. Not sure exactly how I did it (back in the 90s), but I remember using a Mag Light cone to get the photo of the coin and the edge lettering. :wink:

Another difference besides what has previous been mentioned is the 1793 is about 1.5mm smaller than the other Liberty Cap Half Cents.

Don

That is one COOL photography trick !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread