Coins-Found at the bank & inherited. Help are these worth grading???

dignhistory

Aug 7, 2011
SE Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins-Found at the bank & inherited. Help are these worth grading???

The top two coins are my favorites. The one on the left was my in-laws and it was passed down to us. A 1922 Peace Dollar with no mint mark. The one on the right I got when I worked at the bank so that is what I called my found coin. It is a 1889 Liberty Dollar O mint mark. I also was able to get a few other silver coins when I got the Liberty Dollar. The other coins are 1935 Peace Dollar no mint mark, 1921 Liberty Dollar no mint mark, 1951 Franklin half dollar no mint mark, 1849 Penny put out there just because I like it, and the 1942 Walking Liberty. I have several other dimes, a few nickels, half dollars and a about 10 to 15 Indian head pennies. Lots and lots of wheat pennies. They range from good to not so good condition but there are too many to put in this one group picture.

I do not know anything about coins besides what I have seen here and tried to research on the internet. My question, is it worth getting the top two graded or not and who is a reliable place to get this done? I would like to know more about them and how much they are worth.

Also should I have put this in another forum? I always go here first because I have not checked out all the forums.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• coin1.jpg
    coin1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 763
  • coins2.jpg
    coins2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 771
  • coin3.jpg
    coin3.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 766
  • coin4.jpg
    coin4.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 763
  • coin5.jpg
    coin5.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 778
  • coin6.jpg
    coin6.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 763
Upvote 0

Trokair

Mar 26, 2010
Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Coins-Found at the bank & inherited. Help are these worth grading???

The two better looking silver dollars are around $40-45. The bad ones are spot silver, $30 right now I think.
The half dollars are $10-15, the penny around $20

These are just numbers, the real value depends on the buyer.

As far as getting them graded, your likely to spend more getting them professionally graded and encased then they are worth. If you still want to though I perfer PCGS. There are several companies out there that can do that for you.

If you have a decent local coin shop they will grade them for you for little to no cost.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I totally agree with Trokair.

The shipping and grading will eat up AT LEAST half of your value. Don't have them graded.

I could never understand that, people having coins graded, that are worth no more than the cost of grading :icon_scratch: and sometimes even less. Might as well just give them away, and save yourself all the trouble.

So there are two opinions the same, but it's your money.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

Anyone can get a coin professional graded. It costs about $200 to join PCGS and get 10 free gradings, or $20 each.

Grading will not increase the value of any of your coins significantly. If it were me, I wouldn't have them graded ... yet.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

the 1922 ( plain no mint mark = philly mint) is a "peace dollar" -- the found coin 1889 "o" for new Orleans- is commonly called a "morgan" dollar * after its designer .

in general I would say these coins are not "grading" worthwhile coins -- nice and cool to own but not of a high enough collectors value to be worth the cost of grading them.

still I'd be happy to own em. :wink: :icon_thumright:

worth ?--go to your local library find a "red book" for coin values -- currently silver is quite high *(in some cases the coins silver value currently outweighs its "collectors" or red book value )-- the 90% pure silver dollars have about 3/4 of a oz of silver in them --with silver at say $40 a oz that is at least $30 in silver value in the coins just for their silver content alone.

OP
OP
dignhistory

dignhistory

Aug 7, 2011
SE Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Trokair said:
The two better looking silver dollars are around $40-45. The bad ones are spot silver, $30 right now I think.
The half dollars are $10-15, the penny around $20

These are just numbers, the real value depends on the buyer.

As far as getting them graded, your likely to spend more getting them professionally graded and encased then they are worth. If you still want to though I perfer PCGS. There are several companies out there that can do that for you.

If you have a decent local coin shop they will grade them for you for little to no cost.

Thank you for the information that helps. There is no local coin shop where I live, so small of a town if you blink you miss it. Maybe some day silver will go up and I will get rid of them and the six rolls of silver dimes. What is spot silver?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

spot silver is the current or "spot" price of sillver -- it goes up and down * use this site ( below ) to know the full silver "spot" value of your coins --note coin /silver dealers will often offer 2/3rds of so of "full spot value" as their buy price to make their "profiet mark up" --they normally sell at spot plus say 10% .--the differance between buy price and sell price is how they stay in bussiness. :wink:

www.coinflation.com

OP
OP
dignhistory

dignhistory

Aug 7, 2011
SE Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
I totally agree with Trokair.

The shipping and grading will eat up AT LEAST half of your value. Don't have them graded.

I could never understand that, people having coins graded, that are worth no more than the cost of grading :icon_scratch: and sometimes even less. Might as well just give them away, and save yourself all the trouble.

So there are two opinions the same, but it's your money.
[/quote

True but I would like to keep what I have, that is why I thought to ask about it. Thanks

OP
OP
dignhistory

dignhistory

Aug 7, 2011
SE Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It does pay to ask for advice and now I hope to find some with the metal detector. They are digging up the front of an old school to make improvements I guess, they put a lot of dirt out back and said I could go check it out. So I will find out tomorrow...

I did buy the red book but still wanted others opinions.

Have a great day and God Bless

Trokair

Mar 26, 2010
Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Okie said:
It does pay to ask for advice and now I hope to find some with the metal detector. They are digging up the front of an old school to make improvements I guess, they put a lot of dirt out back and said I could go check it out. So I will find out tomorrow...

Have a great day and God Bless

They are still nice coins that I wouldn't mind having in one of my collections. Good luck at the school, hope you find some companions for the coins. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions