New Convert

zootman

Feb 1, 2006
Hunterdon County, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites, M6, Classic III, 5900 DI Pro Plus
Out hunting one of the local playgrounds today, as always theres the pesky kid following along asking a million questions. Finnally I say here kid try it yourself. He swings the Ace 250 for about 2 minutes when he gets a soild hit. So I explain how to read the meter, explaing that he has a quarter about 4" down. I show him how to pinpoint, hand him the trowel, and the kid proceeds to dig up a folded up five dollar bill! Now I know alot of people say the ace is a great little coin shooter but paper money! Then to my chagrin the kid unfolds the bill and out drops not one but two pristeen 1964 Washingtons! Paper and silver in one shot. AP that 250 is one great coin shooter. I thank you, again. The best part was seeing the kids face, particularly when I told him the quarters were worth more than 25 cents. We have a future THer coming. Im sure his parents will hate me cause this kid wants a detector bad! Offered to buy one of mine with his new loot. I hope I dont run in to him again, I doubt if I'll be able to use the detector. This is a great hobby. I'll remeber the look on his face and the joy of his first find for awhile.
Zootman

Upvote 0

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
Nice story zootman! That kid has a bright future in MDing. I took my 2 nephews out to the beach the other evening, they are 9 & 7, and they are fascinated by metal detecting. We found about €10 in change in about 30 mins., plus some old fishing tackle, etc. Whenebver I go to the beach I get some kids who love to watch and follow me around, which can be a bit annoying but since I'm just a big kid myself doing a kids hobby I try to have all the patience in the world with them and explain the responsible way to MD, i.e., pick up and dispose of any trash you dig and fill in the holes.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
So Zoot, did you split the find w/him? Poor kid though, now he's gonna think that finds like that are a common everyday occurance. LOL

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...talk about beginer's luck!

HH
-GC

OP
OP
zootman

zootman

Feb 1, 2006
Hunterdon County, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites, M6, Classic III, 5900 DI Pro Plus
I just let the kid keep it, I figured I'm getting way to old to outrun a kid!! But, I gotta admit I had my eye on the quarters!
Zoot

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
(XLT-x 2 ) )(BH Sharp Shooter 2) (Coinmaster 4000/D series2)(Coinmaster 2/DB series 2)(Discovery 2)(Discovery 1000)
MY son was 14 when I decided to get back into medal detecting. I wanted a new detector so about a month before I went to get my new XLT I took a trowl and a hand full of quarters, nickles and dimes and made straight down cuts into the ground and dropped a coin in each of the slots. I didn't tell my son and still haven told him. So when I got my new detector of course my son wanted to see how it works. We went through the learning curve thing and he ask me if he could use it in the back yard for practice. Yep he was digging all sorts of coins, and stuff from the previous owners, including there coins and one gold ring with big cz's in it. Needless to say he is hooked and I only fudged a little to get him interested. Some of the coins were pretty deep when I dropped them in and he was impressed with the XLT being able to reach down that far. So was I because the coins most of them had to be almost straight up and down. Any how my son is now interested enough want to go out with me hunting coins and such.
Mike

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
Wow, what a lucky little bugger......a future MDer indeed....... ;)

GL & HH,

DugHoles

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was really good of you to do! It will sit in the kids head even through the teenage years until he finally gets interested enough to buy a detector or maybe he will haunt his parents long enough and get one early in life, LOL. HH, Mike

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Great story Zoot, although Ida clubbed that kid in the head & took the 5 spot...........leave him the quarters, eh? LOL Im very happy to hear you like the 250, Im learning that 6000 slowly! Took it in my "hunted out" front yard today & found some trash & a quarter that I somehow missed with my 2 other machines! Pin pointing seems very accurate & I am very happy indeed! Thanks again Zoot & good luck!!! :)

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice story, Zoot.

It was good of you to let him swing your detector....and doesn't it figure that he found something like that? :o It was kind of you to let him keep his find. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread