Best 1 Day Roman Coin Count +++UNBELIEVEABLE UPDATE!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an outstanding day I had :headbang: Spent 8.5 hours on two Roman Sites which are very close to a 3rd, we started these sites only last year & named one of them the 'Roman Brooch Field or Brooch Field' after finding so many in 1 area/field. We had a memorable day where we had 13 in one day :o & the banner Horse & Rider came from this field :wink: ;
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,353611.0.html

We spend the first 2hrs 45mins finishing the field we started last week where we got 39 Roman Bronze Coins (best 1 day total this year) Then we moved to the Brooch Field.

40 Bronze Roman Coins :headbang: (39 to me, 1 to Dad)
1 Debased Roman Silver (plus Dad got a small piece of a Roman Silver, not pictured)
Roman Spoon Bowl
Base of a Roman Box Seal
Poor Hammered Coin
6 Roman Fibula (1 poor disc type) - All fell to the XP :D The small one has a pin, which is still springy & if I were brave enough I think I could still use it :o
Some nice Album quality coins including a Rare Silver washed bronze coin - still researching as it very unusual.

Apart from 2 Roman Coins (take note those with a Cortes :wink: ), Dad's only other find was the best of the day in my opinion. The story goes;
Dad had to leave to sort out some family business for 1.5 hours, as he arrived back, I was GPSing a small fragment of a Roman Folding Knife. When Dad arrived I told him about it & said it was the Hound & Hare type (never had a whole one). About 5 minutes into his first run he dug a signal & shouted over that he had something good, but wasn't sure what :D When I looked at it I could believe it, it was the other part to my recent find. We have GPSed them both & I'm waiting to see what distance they travelled. The break has healed a long time ago & might be the reason it was chucked :dontknow:
This is the sort of day that we like :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 900
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 900
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 890
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 892
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 899
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 885
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 881
Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think 2011 will be in your memory banks as one heck of a great year for finds!! Congrats on so many great finds you have been posting and more to come I am sure.
:hello2:
Don

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o

Great haul :icon_thumleft: the knife handle is special, the bottom brooch in picture three looks La Ten :o

SS

Attachments

• La Ten.jpg
    La Ten.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 556

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
CRUSADER said:
UPDATE;

Warning: If you have a Roman Fibula/Brooch with a pin, don't try this at home & Dad look away ::)

I was looking carefully at the small Fibula & was convinced that with some careful cleaning around the sprung coil I could loosen it enough to allow it to work without breaking. Not normally a wise move, but it had plenty of bounce & the metal was good.
Here are the results of a 1st C AD Brooch, so over 1900 years in the ground & I could still pin it to my toga & be the envy of any party :o
I know that the Roman's made things well but this is crazy, as its also survived the plough & chemicals for at least 50 years, maybe 100.

That's astonishing. Will this be a personal keeper or will it go to the local museum? It's craftsmanship, to be sure.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
:o

Great haul :icon_thumleft: the knife handle is special, the bottom brooch in picture three looks La Ten :o

SS

Thanks, we are getting the odd Celtic find from this land :headbang:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DMN said:
CRUSADER said:
UPDATE;

Warning: If you have a Roman Fibula/Brooch with a pin, don't try this at home & Dad look away ::)

I was looking carefully at the small Fibula & was convinced that with some careful cleaning around the sprung coil I could loosen it enough to allow it to work without breaking. Not normally a wise move, but it had plenty of bounce & the metal was good.
Here are the results of a 1st C AD Brooch, so over 1900 years in the ground & I could still pin it to my toga & be the envy of any party :o
I know that the Roman's made things well but this is crazy, as its also survived the plough & chemicals for at least 50 years, maybe 100.

That's astonishing. Will this be a personal keeper or will it go to the local museum? It's craftsmanship, to be sure.

Everything pictured I get to keep & will share some finds with the owner, but trust me we keep the best stuff but never hide its importance & story with the owners. All part of the fun & knowledge share about their land.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! How did it feel to fasten that fibula for the first time in close to 2,000 years? :o

I can't even imagine.

Well done.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Wow! How did it feel to fasten that fibula for the first time in close to 2,000 years? :o

I can't even imagine.

Well done.

It made me pretty worried to be honest (I hate to damage anything), but when it worked, pretty amazed :o

(took the photo quick & opened it quick)

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those fields seem to be endless finds :icon_thumleft: i would wear that pin on my hat everyday great find !!!! :thumbsup: Jim

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread