Best 1 Day Roman Coin Count +++UNBELIEVEABLE UPDATE!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an outstanding day I had :headbang: Spent 8.5 hours on two Roman Sites which are very close to a 3rd, we started these sites only last year & named one of them the 'Roman Brooch Field or Brooch Field' after finding so many in 1 area/field. We had a memorable day where we had 13 in one day :o & the banner Horse & Rider came from this field :wink: ;
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,353611.0.html

We spend the first 2hrs 45mins finishing the field we started last week where we got 39 Roman Bronze Coins (best 1 day total this year) Then we moved to the Brooch Field.

40 Bronze Roman Coins :headbang: (39 to me, 1 to Dad)
1 Debased Roman Silver (plus Dad got a small piece of a Roman Silver, not pictured)
Roman Spoon Bowl
Base of a Roman Box Seal
Poor Hammered Coin
6 Roman Fibula (1 poor disc type) - All fell to the XP :D The small one has a pin, which is still springy & if I were brave enough I think I could still use it :o
Some nice Album quality coins including a Rare Silver washed bronze coin - still researching as it very unusual.

Apart from 2 Roman Coins (take note those with a Cortes :wink: ), Dad's only other find was the best of the day in my opinion. The story goes;
Dad had to leave to sort out some family business for 1.5 hours, as he arrived back, I was GPSing a small fragment of a Roman Folding Knife. When Dad arrived I told him about it & said it was the Hound & Hare type (never had a whole one). About 5 minutes into his first run he dug a signal & shouted over that he had something good, but wasn't sure what :D When I looked at it I could believe it, it was the other part to my recent find. We have GPSed them both & I'm waiting to see what distance they travelled. The break has healed a long time ago & might be the reason it was chucked :dontknow:
This is the sort of day that we like :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 900
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 900
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 890
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 892
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 899
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 885
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 881
Upvote 0

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Re: Best 1 Day Roman Coin Count +++

Wow :o Did your dad have the Cortes turned on :laughing7: He always does it though :headbang:

Well done both :icon_thumleft:

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW!!!! IM AWESTRUCK!!!! Really great stuff there Cru!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shaun7 said:
Wow :o Did your dad have the Cortes turned on :laughing7: He always does it though :headbang:

Well done both :icon_thumleft:

I think so, because I heard him testing it on the spade every now & then :laughing9: However, the 1 Bronze he got was the really nice wreath type (VOT XX), so he made it count :)

It is nice we shared getting both parts, specially in the same year, with ploughing it could have worked out very different.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Getty said:
WOW!!!! IM AWESTRUCK!!!! Really great stuff there Cru!

Cheers :icon_thumright:

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009

Nice Roman finds. What would be the coin in the lower right? Looks like a woman's head.
The fibulas look very well conditioned. The soil in that field seems more than forgiving.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DMN said:
Nice Roman finds. What would be the coin in the lower right? Looks like a woman's head.
The fibulas look very well conditioned. The soil in that field seems more than forgiving.

Lower right in picture 5 is Constantine II (young Emperor) :D Good job he's not a live to hear that one :wink: :D

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Cru, I can actually hear the excitement in your voice as you're telling us about how today went for you guys! :D

Could it be that Viking Silver Bar find on the Banner that's got you all worked up?! :laughing7:

Amazing finds man, love the silver washed bronze coin! :notworthy:

Dave

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ANTIQUARIAN said:
Cru, I can actually hear the excitement in your voice as you're telling us about how today went for you guys! :D

Could it be that Viking Silver Bar find on the Banner that's got you all worked up?! :laughing7:

Amazing finds man, love the silver washed bronze coin! :notworthy:

Dave

We were joking in the car on the way back, we can't seem to put a foot wrong at the moment, but you know what they say, all good things.......

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What a day! Congrats to the team! :notworthy: These fibulas and the knife handle are real beauties!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Westfront said:
What a day! Congrats to the team! :notworthy: These fibulas and the knife handle are real beauties!

Land-mag made an appearance & checked out the nearby 3rd site, he managed a couple of Roman Coins in a short hunt. He has done countless hours research to find these sites & got signed contracts from a difficult company to gain any permissions from. He is the unspoken hero of this teams recent success :notworthy: :notworthy: All I do is turn on the XP & put in the hours :wink:

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

wow you got some nice looking Romans there!! And brooches with pins?? WELL DONE!! :hello2: :hello2:

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It really is amazing what can come out of the ground in a day. And the condition on some of those coins is better then what I find 1930s pennies in! :icon_thumright:

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja

I hope your luck continue's :notworthy: or rather skill I should say. you make it look so easy, yes I know you put in the time behind the stick and at the desk.To the most deserving go the spoils. now I am just going to sit back and wait for you to pull excalibur out of one of your fields. it may even make banner in a few days lol.

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009

CRUSADER said:
DMN said:

Lower right in picture 5 is Constantine II (young Emperor) :D Good job he's not a live to hear that one :wink: :D

Oooooops! Kind of like Austin Powers: "That's a Man, Baby!"
I guess I'll genuflect a couple times in his direction just to be safe. Thanks for the ID and correction!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE;

Warning: If you have a Roman Fibula/Brooch with a pin, don't try this at home & Dad look away ::)

I was looking carefully at the small Fibula & was convinced that with some careful cleaning around the sprung coil I could loosen it enough to allow it to work without breaking. Not normally a wise move, but it had plenty of bounce & the metal was good.
Here are the results of a 1st C AD Brooch, so over 1900 years in the ground & I could still pin it to my toga & be the envy of any party :o
I know that the Roman's made things well but this is crazy, as its also survived the plough & chemicals for at least 50 years, maybe 100.

Attachments

• Open Fibula.JPG
    Open Fibula.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 693
  • Closed Fibula.JPG
    Closed Fibula.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 713
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hunthicks said:
It really is amazing what can come out of the ground in a day. And the condition on some of those coins is better then what I find 1930s pennies in! :icon_thumright:
Our coppers from the 1980s are not recognisable, our legacy will be plastic :tongue3: Some of the coins survived by luck but many of the better ones were made from a better quality/mix of metal alloys (Bronze), Silver or Gold. The principle was simple & was carried forward for many hundreds of years (until recently), the metal has to have some worth by weight & build confidence in it & the system. The Roman's were like us, when times were good, the Silver content was high, as they struggled, the silver began to get less & disappear. :thumbsup:

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I did not see it with my own eyes your right I would not have believed it ! Great day ! That Hound % hare knife handle is even more special now ! M.R.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
CRUSADER said:
UPDATE;

Warning: If you have a Roman Fibula/Brooch with a pin, don't try this at home & Dad look away ::)

I was looking carefully at the small Fibula & was convinced that with some careful cleaning around the sprung coil I could loosen it enough to allow it to work without breaking. Not normally a wise move, but it had plenty of bounce & the metal was good.
Here are the results of a 1st C AD Brooch, so over 1900 years in the ground & I could still pin it to my toga & be the envy of any party :o
I know that the Roman's made things well but this is crazy, as its also survived the plough & chemicals for at least 50 years, maybe 100.

That's pretty amazing :o :icon_thumleft: WD40?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread