colonial coin pocket spill

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
well upon request from a few good people i decided to post a colonial copper coin spill i found two saturdays ago . this was found at a cellar site that been detected many time by others and was my second time there .

anyway after a several hours at another spot my buddy and i decided to hit one more site before calling it quits for the day . i hinted at this place as it had alot of area and we were only there one other time and it was very close by.

pocketspillsite.jpg

it was a big center chimney colonial and we found a few buttons last time , well we split up and i was detecting basically alone for about an hour and a half. i started working an area slowly when i got a great high coin sounding target at around 6 inches i was really thinking a nice silver piece and out popped this

3coppersinhand.jpg

i was very excited to see these , but by their dark color i just knew there was morein the hole

6coppersinhand.jpg

three more coppers proved me right , wow now i was really floored .
unable to see what they were because of the thick corrosion but they were large coins and i just assumed they were matron head type large cents. later i found out i was wrong and learned that they were a King George III copper , a New Jersey copper and 4 fugio pennies . a real colonial coin spill and my largest multiple coppers in one hole .

heres what they looked like when they got home

6alluncleaned.jpg

the next job was trying to i.d. the varieties and then tackling the job of cleaning them. well after almost two weeks they are nearly there .

heres a some pictures of them individually
the 1774 King George III
1774machinmillsfront1.jpg

1774machinmillsreverse1.jpg

the 1788 New Jersey copper
newjerseyfront1.jpg

newjerseyreverse1.jpg

a clubed ray fugio
fugioclubrayobverse1.jpg

another fugio
newman9varietyfugiofront1.jpg

third fugio
unknownvarietyfugiofront1.jpg

last fugio
fugiowithflawedplanchetobverse1.jpg

if any one can tell the varieties as i'm a little confused on two of the fugios it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks all for the nice comments on the other forums .

Dan

Attachments

• 6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,991
  • 6 all uncleaned.JPG
    6 all uncleaned.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,913
  • 6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,936
Upvote 34

dfx'er

Apr 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not it was probably a simple technicality that kept it from being banner like the fact that the pictures were hosted by photobucket and not uploaded to Tnet. Or the fact that he found the coins two weeks before posting. :dontknow:

the latter is not likely as he was a member since 2006 and had 2 other banner finds years before he posted this entry . The outside photo host is a lame excuse if that is the reason for its exclusion to the banner.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Did moderators think the find was not on the up and up? I've seen several fake banner finds in the not so distant past!

Banner vote in!

G

Last edited:
OP
OP
leddel

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
I can't believe after 10 years and 14 pages later that this post is still active ! I truly appreciate the continued interest and congrats i'm still receiving . Again thanks to those who took part in helping with Id'ing these coins and pressing the "banner button" .

Dan

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another that makes no sense is if you have a banner find still up you can't have another. So you could dig something cool and it become a banner find and then the next week you find something truly epic but it doesn't qualify. Yeah my neat seated love token made it but not the cache of $20 gold coins. :)

Believe it or not it was probably a simple technicality that kept it from being banner like the fact that the pictures were hosted by photobucket and not uploaded to Tnet. Or the fact that he found the coins two weeks before posting. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread