colonial coin pocket spill

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
well upon request from a few good people i decided to post a colonial copper coin spill i found two saturdays ago . this was found at a cellar site that been detected many time by others and was my second time there .

anyway after a several hours at another spot my buddy and i decided to hit one more site before calling it quits for the day . i hinted at this place as it had alot of area and we were only there one other time and it was very close by.

pocketspillsite.jpg

it was a big center chimney colonial and we found a few buttons last time , well we split up and i was detecting basically alone for about an hour and a half. i started working an area slowly when i got a great high coin sounding target at around 6 inches i was really thinking a nice silver piece and out popped this

3coppersinhand.jpg

i was very excited to see these , but by their dark color i just knew there was morein the hole

6coppersinhand.jpg

three more coppers proved me right , wow now i was really floored .
unable to see what they were because of the thick corrosion but they were large coins and i just assumed they were matron head type large cents. later i found out i was wrong and learned that they were a King George III copper , a New Jersey copper and 4 fugio pennies . a real colonial coin spill and my largest multiple coppers in one hole .

heres what they looked like when they got home

6alluncleaned.jpg

the next job was trying to i.d. the varieties and then tackling the job of cleaning them. well after almost two weeks they are nearly there .

heres a some pictures of them individually
the 1774 King George III
1774machinmillsfront1.jpg

1774machinmillsreverse1.jpg

the 1788 New Jersey copper
newjerseyfront1.jpg

newjerseyreverse1.jpg

a clubed ray fugio
fugioclubrayobverse1.jpg

another fugio
newman9varietyfugiofront1.jpg

third fugio
unknownvarietyfugiofront1.jpg

last fugio
fugiowithflawedplanchetobverse1.jpg

if any one can tell the varieties as i'm a little confused on two of the fugios it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks all for the nice comments on the other forums .

Dan

Attachments

• 6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,991
  • 6 all uncleaned.JPG
    6 all uncleaned.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,913
  • 6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,936
Upvote 34

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
leddel said:
hogge said:
VLACK 3-74A. The 3-74 has a stop between the III and REX.......Also the stop lines up with the tip of the nose. Everything is a match. www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinIntros/NYC-Vlack.intro.html - Coin is attributed as a James Atlee Group I.

thanks hogge ,
heres the only picture of one i have Patch.

Yep, I was definitely not looking at that variety, just thought I had seen it and ruled it out. All you have to see the the die crack and it's ID'ed. (assuming it was the only use of both dies) Pretty good find, think that was Very Rare under coinfacts wasn't it.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Breens they only have pictured an 8-74 and not a 3-74 so I had to go searching. :read2:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes.....Very Rare. 13-30 known or an R-6. There was on in a Stacks auction that sold for 350. BUT.....There were NO pics???? :icon_scratch: This coin has some great detail. Looks good!

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
that looks like great fun!
nice job on the cleaning.
hope that kgIII turns out to be
something worth swaddling.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
Yes.....Very Rare. 13-30 known or an R-6. There was on in a Stacks auction that sold for 350. BUT.....There were NO pics???? :icon_scratch: This coin has some great detail. Looks good!

Yep, it's the leader of the pack so far. :thumbsup:

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME :headbang: BANNER :hello2:

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
If this was a pocket drop of 6 crusty old dateless unidentifiable coppers, it would be news worthy enough. But this is off the scale !!! This has to make the Banner :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
hogge said:

IP.........Have you ID'ed any of the Fugios yet?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
Iron Patch said:
hogge said:

IP.........Have you ID'ed any of the Fugios yet?

I'm not looking. Too busy in another window, just checking in once and a while.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New Jersey is a Maris 67-v. R-1....Very Common. I think Don will confirm also. :wink:

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bloody heck that's a find of a lifetime and all in one hole. I vote Banner :hello2:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang:

Know nothing about the coins :-\ but judging by the replies, from those who do know...Banner :icon_thumleft: looks like some further cleaning and sealing might be needed, but any way just wanted to say that's a great haul :notworthy:

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread