colonial coin pocket spill

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
well upon request from a few good people i decided to post a colonial copper coin spill i found two saturdays ago . this was found at a cellar site that been detected many time by others and was my second time there .

anyway after a several hours at another spot my buddy and i decided to hit one more site before calling it quits for the day . i hinted at this place as it had alot of area and we were only there one other time and it was very close by.

pocketspillsite.jpg

it was a big center chimney colonial and we found a few buttons last time , well we split up and i was detecting basically alone for about an hour and a half. i started working an area slowly when i got a great high coin sounding target at around 6 inches i was really thinking a nice silver piece and out popped this

3coppersinhand.jpg

i was very excited to see these , but by their dark color i just knew there was morein the hole

6coppersinhand.jpg

three more coppers proved me right , wow now i was really floored .
unable to see what they were because of the thick corrosion but they were large coins and i just assumed they were matron head type large cents. later i found out i was wrong and learned that they were a King George III copper , a New Jersey copper and 4 fugio pennies . a real colonial coin spill and my largest multiple coppers in one hole .

heres what they looked like when they got home

6alluncleaned.jpg

the next job was trying to i.d. the varieties and then tackling the job of cleaning them. well after almost two weeks they are nearly there .

heres a some pictures of them individually
the 1774 King George III
1774machinmillsfront1.jpg

1774machinmillsreverse1.jpg

the 1788 New Jersey copper
newjerseyfront1.jpg

newjerseyreverse1.jpg

a clubed ray fugio
fugioclubrayobverse1.jpg

another fugio
newman9varietyfugiofront1.jpg

third fugio
unknownvarietyfugiofront1.jpg

last fugio
fugiowithflawedplanchetobverse1.jpg

if any one can tell the varieties as i'm a little confused on two of the fugios it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks all for the nice comments on the other forums .

Dan

Attachments

• 6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,991
  • 6 all uncleaned.JPG
    6 all uncleaned.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,913
  • 6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,936
Upvote 34

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHOA! What an awesome find! WTG!!

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! - Makes me want to leave work early and hunt for a while. But it is still too hot down here to hunt in the afternoon.

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome!!
The detail on the New Jesey Shield is incredible.
4 Fugios? Wow! congratulations.

Palmetto

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now,that is awesome!!!!Banner

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Great find, and that ain't no reg George copper. Looks like Machin's Mills Vlack 7-74A Very Rare

Talk about fun digging those and getting to ID them!
YES! That is a Machin Mills! The triangular denticles give it away. AND WOW....what DETAIL!!!! This post belongs UP TOP!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
leddel

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
Iron Patch said:
Great find, and that ain't no reg George copper. Looks like Machin's Mills Vlack 7-74A Very Rare

Here's a picture of a 7-74A.

i think you got the wrong variety Patch , the "V" is a V and not the "U" type in the that one you posted

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
Iron Patch said:

YES! That is a Machin Mills! The triangular denticles give it away. AND WOW....what DETAIL!!!! This post belongs UP TOP!!!!!!!!!

I deleted my post, because I wanted a few more minutes to make sure. It definitely looks like an MM but I thought I looked at all three 1774s and eliminated all three. Going to look again.

OP
OP
leddel

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
Iron Patch said:
hogge said:
Iron Patch said:

I deleted my post, because I wanted a few more minutes to make sure. It definitely looks like an MM but I thought I looked at all three 1774s and eliminated all three. Going to look again.

that quite alright Patch
it looks like a possible Vlack 3-74A to me .

Trokair

Mar 26, 2010
Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This guy <------ is jealous. Awesome find.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What an amazing discovery at a site that was already hunted before. :headbang: :notworthy: :hello2: That is what I love about this hobby. You had no idea what you were going to find that day and came home with one of your best days ever. :hello2: I agree with Iron Patch. That is a definite Machins Mills copper. Thank you for sharing this adventure, Dan.

Keep the passion high!

Kirk :hello:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing find Dan! :notworthy:

I'm voting BANNER for you also! :hello2:

Dave

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
leddel said:
Iron Patch said:
hogge said:
Iron Patch said:

that quite alright Patch
it looks like a possible Vlack 3-74A to me .

Can you find a picture of that one. I thought I looked at it and found a difference in the obverse side but might have got my wires crossed. I'm doing something in another window but will keep an eye on this one. They're all good coins but you might have a real keeper in the mix.

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Hi Del! I didn't know you were on this site too! Since now I do...BANNER!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: Hope we get into em like that on the fall hunt! :thumbsup:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VLACK 3-74A. The 3-74 has a stop between the III and REX.......Also the stop lines up with the tip of the nose. Everything is a match. www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinIntros/NYC-Vlack.intro.html - Coin is attributed as a James Atlee Group I. At first I thought the "stop" after NIA was too close to shield for it to be his reverse, which was the only difference I saw. But I think it looks farther away on his because of the way he has it tipped, and the smallness of the coin pictured in the diagram. All 3 1774's (3-74, 7-74, and 8-74) have the same reverse.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread