May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the 3rd Roman site on 1 farm that forms a kind of triangle with the Brooch Field & the Wood Field.

However, we spent the first hour trying a new farm as it was about to be sold. Didn't have much luck other than items in picture 1.

When we moved to the Copse Field my first dig was a broken Roman Silver & within 1 hour I had my second :o
After 5.5 hours (11 man hours) we had 62 Roman Bronze Coins, our 2nd best 1 day total this year & so the streak continues :headbang:
Celtic/Roman Fibula/Brooches - one 1st C BC & a few 1st C AD :icon_thumright:
Part of a Roman Bracelet
Part of a Romano-Celtic Ring
Bronze Roman Pin Head
Some nice album coins (couple of new types) :icon_thumright:#
Best one - [IMP C M AVR] CL QVINTILLVS [AVG] and Rev [APOL]LINI CONS. Apollo standing left holding laurel branch and resting on Lyre set on rock, Officina mark H in field. Minted Rome AD 270. He ruled Aug-Oct/Nov AD270. Billon Antoninianus. Only our second one of the ruler but a far better example :)

Shaun7 I hope your fighting fit for tomorrow :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 487
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 483
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 476
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 477
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 480
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 486
Upvote 0

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another good day in the heat! :notworthy: Can you bring the sherd to the right of the Samian with you tomorrow. Looks out of sinc with the rest of the pottery finds. Or is it just the pic makes it look that way?? :icon_scratch: :read2:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many good finds again Cru! Looking forward to Your and Shauns posts toworrow! Good luck!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
landmagnet said:
Another good day in the heat! :notworthy: Can you bring the sherd to the right of the Samian with you tomorrow. Looks out of sinc with the rest of the pottery finds. Or is it just the pic makes it look that way?? :icon_scratch: :read2:

It is unusual, light & fine, high status tableware I guess but might be an import. Will bring it with the finds.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
leddel said:
wow thats alot of roman activity in that field , i'm amazed at the great coins and relics :occasion14:
:occasion14:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Westfront said:
Many good finds again Cru! Looking forward to Your and Shauns posts toworrow! Good luck!

We have a few good options, but might go hammered hunting :thumbsup:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Just got back from a quick 10 mile run :wink: :laughing7:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The samian pottery seems African Sigillata . ::)
good Fibulas .... congrats!
H

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Wow!! :notworthy: :headbang: You've been consistently posting piles of all sorts of awesome Roman finds! :icon_thumright: You must be tired from all that digging and having to carry around such a heavy finds pouch. :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Just got back from a quick 10 mile run :wink: :laughing7:
It didn't help you get up early enough, your running late :tongue3: :laughing7:

HISPAN said:
The samian pottery seems African Sigillata . ::)
good Fibulas .... congrats!
H
:icon_thumright:
The largest Fibula was found in the last few minutes & was a good end to the hunt :headbang:

JW15 said:
Wow!! :notworthy: :headbang: You've been consistently posting piles of all sorts of awesome Roman finds! :icon_thumright: You must be tired from all that digging and having to carry around such a heavy finds pouch. :icon_pirat:
Yes, we have been clearing plenty of junk as well, I'm constantly tired & go to work to rest :laughing7:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds any coins ? :laughing7: your a digging machine ,what i would give to hunt those fields :notworthy: Jim

antlerman23

Jun 6, 2011
Rochester Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Fisher F2 (DD coil)
Whites Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW!!! ive been reading you post for a while now and i am always beyond impressed!!! here in minnesota, an ancient coin is 1850s, and you find real ancient roman coins!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: by the way, what do you do with them all, because im trying to start a collection ::) . Way to go and i will be looking forward to more of your posts. HH

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
antlerman23 said:
WOW!!! ive been reading you post for a while now and i am always beyond impressed!!! here in minnesota, an ancient coin is 1850s, and you find real ancient roman coins!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: by the way, what do you do with them all, because im trying to start a collection ::) . Way to go and i will be looking forward to more of your posts. HH
Hi,
good to hear from you & glad you like our results. We do make it look far too easy, its taken 35 years + combined experience to get consistant results. Also the right combination of crop sequence, ground conditions & a bit of luck :thumbsup:
Roman coins have 3 categories;
Scrappies (no or hardly any visible detail) - These get put in a drawer as a huge pile.
Some Detail - Put in a Roman Pottery Dish & handed out to kids & anyone with an interest when doing displays
Album Quality - Examples go to the farmers & our collection with full descritions

Regardless of condition, they are all Weighed, Measured, Condition of each side noted, Die axis taken, Denomination & visible letters noted, Gps grid taken & mapped.
Its nearly a full time job for Cru'Dad which is one of our strengths or Unique Selling Point (USP) when impressing new owners of our professionalism.

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
antlerman23 said:
Hi,
good to hear from you & glad you like our results. We do make it look far too easy, its taken 35 years + combined experience to get consistant results. Also the right combination of crop sequence, ground conditions & a bit of luck :thumbsup:
Roman coins have 3 categories;
Scrappies (no or hardly any visible detail) - These get put in a drawer as a huge pile.
Some Detail - Put in a Roman Pottery Dish & handed out to kids & anyone with an interest when doing displays
Album Quality - Examples go to the farmers & our collection with full descritions

Regardless of condition, they are all Weighed, Measured, Condition of each side noted, Die axis taken, Denomination & visible letters noted, Gps grid taken & mapped.
Its nearly a full time job for Cru'Dad which is one of our strengths or Unique Selling Point (USP) when impressing new owners of our professionalism.
Having the same circumstance as antlerman (no old,old metal stuff to find - unless it be History changing ) I too admire your finds, Crusader and Cru'Dad.
No doubt your recorded efforts will be of benefit to many future generations.
If not already, I trust you will also be recognised by at least an M.B.E.

I tried to speak to Liz, but she was out walking the corgis ;D

Cheers, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread