Native American stone carving tableau of ancient Ruins, please help.

chynaspyce

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hi there. I'm new here and I've caught the treasure hunt bug. I'm mostly into garage and estate sales. I acquired this piece of Native American artwork and I am baffled as to the details. I think it is probably a miniature replica of ancient ruins of somewhere in Central America but I don't know anything about the artist or the value or the time period. The piece is 20"x13"x3.2". It is heavy, about 20 pounds. Probably carved out of stone. There is a frame mounted in the front. There is a label from a restoration company on the top of the piece that says "Broken and Partial Pots Rebuilt to Original Appearance Recommended by Collectors and Archeologists Indian Pottery Restoration Robert & Cathrin Staley" and it has the address. The scene is fantastic. 3 dimensional with real miniature pottery on the bottom left hand corner with a miniature tree and a miniature ladder on the right. What is this??? I've perused the net and have found nothing similar. Please let me know if you can help or if you know someone that can. Thanks.

Lisa

Attachments

• tableau 010.jpg
    tableau 010.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 621
  • tableau 013.jpg
    tableau 013.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 654
  • tableau 012.jpg
    tableau 012.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 623
  • tableau 014.jpg
    tableau 014.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 605
  • tableau 015.jpg
    tableau 015.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 623
  • tableau 016.jpg
    tableau 016.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 641
  • tableau 009.jpg
    tableau 009.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 627
Upvote 0

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe there is a section/s specifically for garage sale finds, collectibles & things of that nature. MUCH better off posting there. This area is for treasure hunting stuff. Nice photo btw :thumbsup:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

vision quest

Jul 8, 2007
RENSSELAER, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Excalibur II
Minelab SDC 2300
Hi Lisa and welcome,

Google "Masa Verde". Native american cliff dwellings not to far from Delores Colorado. Good luck in your quest!

OP
OP
chynaspyce

chynaspyce

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
Thanks guys. I will repost in the proper area. Don't know how to remove this posting unfortunately. Thanks for your help. All the best.

trixie charger

Aug 31, 2010
N.C.
vision quest said:
Hi Lisa and welcome,

Google "Masa Verde". Native american cliff dwellings not to far from Delores Colorado. Good luck in your quest!

I'm leaning to Masa Verde! but I have seen the same type of structures from the Pueblo culture.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 624
  • pueblo.jpg
    pueblo.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 560

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
I would definitely say Southwest rather than Central America. The stripped pot says southwest. But I can't say Hopi, Navajo, Zuni, Anasazi, or any of the Pueblos of No. New Mexico. Just don't know, but that is where it is. Bandoleer near Santa Fe and Los Alamos has similar ruins.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a great find Lisa! :icon_thumright:

Always lots of great stuff to find at estate sales, some of my best "early" finds came from auctions! ;D
Welcome to Tnet! :hello:
Dave

OP
OP
chynaspyce

chynaspyce

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
Thanks for all the great feedback. I agree with everyone that it does look like Southwest. Has anyone seen a carving like this before??? Do you know anything about the maker or the value of the piece??

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Compare the pot in the picture with the cultures mentioned?? Neat find.
Tigger

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
chynaspyce said:
Thanks for all the great feedback. I agree with everyone that it does look like Southwest. Has anyone seen a carving like this before??? Do you know anything about the maker or the value of the piece??

Hi Lisa,

I'd suggest emailing photo's and a description of it to either . . .

Bruce Shackelford
San Antonio, TX USA
[email protected]

or

The Donald Ellis Gallery
Dundas, Ontario Canada
[email protected]

Good luck,
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread