CW sword belt plate? Found in Maine, need help to confirm.

dumpdigger68

Dec 24, 2009
central Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I detected a small patch of woods behind a school, within 5 miles of Bangor. Lots of old junk metal and broken glass around . Detected a footpath with few targets until out of the blue I got a nice higher tone signal. I started digging through nice crumbly black soil, about 6" down I felt my trowel hit something flat , thinking a rock or junk metal I found an edge and lifted. I pulled it up and could see the back of a buckle, turned it over and there was an eagle lookin back at me! Now my heart and brain started racing, could this be a CW buckle? I thought about washing in a nearby brook but decided to wrap in oak leaves to protect it in my pouch so I could get pics of it as found. From what I see it's never been bent and is in nice condition, the tab on the back is intact too. Now I hope the pics will post, both uncleaned and after a rinse. I need advice on any further cleaning and preservation. I'm confidant some of the CW hunters can tell me what I have found. Going to be hard for me to top this unexpected find, here in Maine. Thanks for looking

Attachments

• phpzruWKxPM uncleaned front.jpg
    phpzruWKxPM uncleaned front.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,146
  • phpGytPgsPM uncleaned back.jpg
    phpGytPgsPM uncleaned back.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,053
  • phpyqkglGP front cleaned.jpg
    phpyqkglGP front cleaned.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,075
  • phpvupG23PM back cleaned.jpg
    phpvupG23PM back cleaned.jpg