CW sword belt plate? Found in Maine, need help to confirm.

dumpdigger68

Dec 24, 2009
central Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I detected a small patch of woods behind a school, within 5 miles of Bangor. Lots of old junk metal and broken glass around . Detected a footpath with few targets until out of the blue I got a nice higher tone signal. I started digging through nice crumbly black soil, about 6" down I felt my trowel hit something flat , thinking a rock or junk metal I found an edge and lifted. I pulled it up and could see the back of a buckle, turned it over and there was an eagle lookin back at me! Now my heart and brain started racing, could this be a CW buckle? I thought about washing in a nearby brook but decided to wrap in oak leaves to protect it in my pouch so I could get pics of it as found. From what I see it's never been bent and is in nice condition, the tab on the back is intact too. Now I hope the pics will post, both uncleaned and after a rinse. I need advice on any further cleaning and preservation. I'm confidant some of the CW hunters can tell me what I have found. Going to be hard for me to top this unexpected find, here in Maine. Thanks for looking

Attachments

• phpzruWKxPM uncleaned front.jpg
    phpzruWKxPM uncleaned front.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,146
  • phpGytPgsPM uncleaned back.jpg
    phpGytPgsPM uncleaned back.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,053
  • phpyqkglGP front cleaned.jpg
    phpyqkglGP front cleaned.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,075
  • phpvupG23PM back cleaned.jpg
    phpvupG23PM back cleaned.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,100
Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
It seems to be a fairly weak strike, an I am not recalling any eagles with wing patterns like that at the moment ... but of course, I have to check my books, and don't have them handy right now. Maybe someone else will chime in on this one.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You got one there Brother :thumbsup: Congratulation's!!!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
creskol said:
It seems to be a fairly weak strike, an I am not recalling any eagles with wing patterns like that at the moment ... but of course, I have to check my books, and don't have them handy right now. Maybe someone else will chime in on this one.
Might be an Officer's full dress plate :dontknow:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
In the second photo, upper left corner, it looks like there is a benchmark .. can you make it out?

In the third photo, it looks like there might be letters in the top portion of the shield? Are there or am I seeing things?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creskol said:
Those wings do look a little "funny"

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya gotta clean that puppy up. The wings look funny, but in order to ID we have to see more details. :thumbsup:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
appears to be Fig 65,pg 71 in Kerksis' book
1851-1874 rarity:3
Officers Sword Belt Plate
:thumbsup:

Also,the one in the book seems to have "102",just to the left of the Tongue :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
D

dumpdigger68

Dec 24, 2009
central Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. I can see 87 between the tongue and the edge of plate on the back. On the shield the lower part has vertical lines and the upper part has horizontal lines and possibly an "A" thats pretty faint. Now before I attempt further cleaning to show more detail, what is the best method that will not damage it? There is some loose scaly stuff, will I loose detail if I remove it? Again thanks for the help.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Kuger. Here is a scan of the plate.

Attachments

• belt plate.jpg
    belt plate.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 633

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soils are different every where,but I would not put water on it.Probably best to let it dry and use a soft bristled tooth brush gently.Awesome plate!!! :thumbsup:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
That does look like a good match! Nice plate!

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrads on the nice plate. That is one that has eluded me. I believe the numbers on the back of the plate are meant to match the same number on the keeper.

OP
OP
D

dumpdigger68

Dec 24, 2009
central Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the Id help. Been busy today but will try to clean it soon and post pics after. I'm still pretty wound up about finding it. I sure did'nt expect to find it. I thought maybe eventually I'd find something from the war of 1812 since there was a battle and the British occupied this town for a couple days. The site of the engagement is now a cemetary so no detecting there. I'm still hoping that out of the 1000 British troops that were here, someone must of lost a button or two for me to find.

goldbill

May 6, 2009
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites v3 deus v4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations nice c.w. buckle Not all of the battles of 1812 were at the cemetery !! Last year I found a 1786 two reale in Hampden that looks like it was carried for 26 years in someones pocket.... We should get together P.M. me .... Goldbill

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very very nice.congrads.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread