Triple-Crossed.... with SILVER

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Triple-Crossed.... with SILVER

Hello everyone out there in TreasureNet Land. I hope you are all well and as happy as can be. I know Mother Nature has been throwing some curveballs to most of us on here in one form or another this year and all of us have been affected to some degree. Between the too much rainfall, the too little rainfall, the tornadoes, the tsunamis, the hurricanes and even earthquakes... makes you wonder about all the doomsday predictions and the infamous Mayan Calendars that all say the world is coming to an end sometime next year. AND I WON’T EVEN COMMENT ON POLITICS!!! It’s been a test of our endurance, resiliency, patience... and perhaps even, our faith. Are these all harbingers, warnings? Signs? I guess if you truly believe in something, your mind can twist anything around to “fit”. And, if you are straddling the fence... well... you just kind of wonder sometimes. It’s hard not to notice patterns sometimes, and marvel or wonder at the occasional ... odd occurrences.
I’m posting today, Labor Day, about my last three metal detecting outings. I’ve managed to get out a few times recently for a few short hunts, but haven’t had the time to sit down and record and share them, until now. A rainy Holiday Day Off is just ideal for this, so here I sit in front of my magical electronic portal to the rest of the world trying to put into words my many and varied “scattered” thoughts. I’ll try to make it comprehendible.
Two weeks ago my community hosted an annual “Arts Fair” at one of the larger city parks near downtown, just off campus (University of Kentucky). The fair attracts crowds and crowds of exhibitions, artists, vendors and of course people who want to view, participate and buy the art. The art being everything from paintings, sculpture, crafts, jewelry to whatever. The draw for me is the crowds and crowds of people. Anytime that many people get together at events like this, there will be things to be found afterward. That’s where I come in. Normally I’d like to attend the fair as well, besides enjoying the artwork and the exhibits, I get a feel for how things are laid out and where the “traffic flow” of people are moving about the fair. This year I didn’t make it though due to a passing of a family member and funeral. Some things are more important than pursuing our hobby after all. Anyway, the following week I was able to finally detect at the park ... with interesting results.
Hunt number one (and two) following the Arts Fair yielded a lot of finds that might be “expected” after such an event... hardware kind of things.

HardwareComp.jpg

... tent pegs, bolts, screws, connector pins, washers... safety pins, push pins, clamps... These were, for the most part, “surface” finds. Oh sure, some were in the grass or even in the soil, like the tent peg, but a lot were just laying there in the grass... invisible mostly. Not everything was seen with the metal detector though, there is always the plastic stuff, like..

Plastic.JPG

Lighters? Disney Dogs? <grin> Well toys aren’t so unusual either I suppose, people bring their children to these events and they bring toys. Found one buried under the grass had to be there for a while I suppose. Wheels!

Car comp.jpg

The car was found near the parks ball field, probably not related to the Arts Fair, other than being in the same park perhaps. As was a lot of the coin I found. The Arts Fair is an annual event, the park is there and open year-round. So there is year-round treasures to be found if you go looking.... and the “not so much” treasures as well. There will always be trash and scraps to be found and dug up.

Scrap.JPG

... like tree pegs that have been found a few times by the lawn mowers. Of course there ARE the treasures to be found that ARE related to the Arts Fair... Dropped or lost items from the crowds of viewers and patrons.. coins and the odd bit of jewelry..

Earrings Comp.jpg

... two pieces of silver in one hunt! Nice! ... And the first “Cross” It was the second hunt at this location, the following day that turned up the second “Cross”. I’m thinking it was someone’s merchandise that got dropped or lost when the Arts Fair was over and everyone was packing up to go home. An arts and crafts, religious icon... apparently valued at $10.00.

Merchcomp.jpg

Oh, and the broken novelty pin (guitar). Hmmm... Two crosses in Two days... portentious?
Could be. I know one thing, my two day hunt... hour and a half one day and two hours the second day... yielded a bag full of interesting finds and a very heavy finds bag of clad (most of which was dug up and not simply picked up off the surface)... a GOOD addition to the vacation fund...

Clad.JPG

This week, well technically it was last week, though it was the “week-end”, I got out again but to a smaller playground/park at a grade school downtown. I’ve not been around to this park for about six months so I thought I might check it out. Skipping breakfast and with my darling wife in tow, (an amazing feat in itself.. especially skipping breakfast in the process)... we arrived at the park/playground not long after sunrise. A favored time to visit playgrounds no matter if they’re in the suburbs or downtown, get there before the throngs of kiddies and toddlers. That way I don’t have to be the pied piper as it were... “Hey mister! What’cha doing? Are you looking for buried treasure? “ Etc etc etc. We’ve all experienced that I’m sure. Anyway, get there early and avoid the rush, right? The grassy areas were still wet with the morning dew but the woodchips were good to go. So I began there. Coin after coin after co... er pull tab... can slaw... foil cover from fruit drinks... chewing gum/candy wrappers... erasure heads, pencils. . playground equipment hardware... condom wrappers... ???? WHAT??? Well... it’s is a park in a lower income part of DOWNTOWN after all. Classy huh? <rolling eyes>
Find after find after find... goodies and not so goodies... and occasional disgusting. To be expected, were the buttons and snaps... ubiquitous to all playgrounds I suppose.

Buttons.JPG

I found at least part of one chain, and a link (perhaps) of another...

Chain.JPG

.... I found a ring.... SILVER!!! COOL!

Ring comp.jpg

... and another CROSS !

Cross comp.jpg

It’s not gold, but it is loaded with these stones, rhinestones maybe? Sparkly whatever they are, but anyway... a THIRD Cross in as many hunts. Hmmmm... a sign? Oh, did I mention that this was a Sunday morning?
There was more than enough coin found to cover gas yesterday as well...

Clad.JPG

After the kiddies started showing up (around 8:30 in the morning) I retreated from the rush and made for home. I made omelets of ham and cheese for my darling wife and I. A late morning breakfast before beginning some yard work and odd jobs I’ve put off all week. That evening I emptied out my finds bag and took pictures but didn’t get around to writing my story and making a post till today. Did I mention it’s raining outside? At least it’s not falling in biblical proportions or anything, none of my neighbors are building overly large boats either, so I guess I don’t have to worry too much about flooding for now. Still though... I’m wondering if I need to start paying more attention to patterns or signs or portents? Makes you wonder sometimes huh?
Again, I hope all are well out there in TreasureNet land and are as happy as you can be. I hope that you all get to get out and enjoy this hobby in your own way... when you can. Till then, and as always...

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Mortifercain said:
great finds! and nice story, the only thing i didn't like is now i want an egg omelet! :laughing7:

Sorry I instilled a "craving" in you. <grin> They were GOOD omletes if I do say so myself though.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Bulldog1948 said:
You have a truly unique way of story-telling; always a blast to read. HH :hello2:

Mike

Awww.. you had to go and make me blush didn't you? <grin> I'm always happy to have entertained with my ramblings and recollections. I figure that if I'm relating events I might as well at least try to make it interesting for whoever is taking the time to read it. Glad you liked it.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
CoilFisher said:
My gods man! You are the king!

"King"? Well I don't know about that... a prince maybe... <grin> But naww.. not a king. Oh it would be Good to be the King.... but it's not me. <smile>

<laughing>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
Nice Frodov as a steady reader you did well again sir . Also I love to read your post . Makes me think I was right along there with you .I am no longer swinging the priz IV . got the BIG brother V3i and well it has kept me reading I am putting it to the test tomorow . Hitting the parking lots at the NYS fair . Syracuse . Should be about a twenty dollar day of clad and who knows what else . Almost a million visitors each year went up for a test run and well 17 quarters and 27 dimes 4 nics and 20 penny's . that was a 4hr hunt the day after . Tomorow I am going for the day . Keep swinging and posting Rob

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
kevkirki said:
nothing like leaving with full pockets :laughing7: very sweet!!! :headbang:

Yes it's a nice feeling, like the sound you hear when another coin hits the bottom of the finds bag.. <grin> Not every hunt is as lucrative unfortunately, but I've rarely been skunked when I go looking. Be it a few coins or a BUNCH of coins, it's always fun. Thanks.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting