King George the 3rd (1778 Vlack 11-78A Machins Mills Halfpenny)

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
King George the 3rd (1778 Vlack 11-78A Machin's Mills Halfpenny)

Haven't been posting lately..had a major "crash" with my laptop....she took a 2 second flight directly into the floor. But now I have a new and improved one... ;D Anyways...Spent a few hours deep in the CT wilderness swingng the ole coil. I decided to head back to some sites that I haven't completely pounded to smithereens.....one the way I decided to stop at one paticular cellar hole that has produced some nice coins and such....this site sits pretty low at the base of a large hill and the ground seems to stay moist all year. Today the ground was very wet and the signals were all "new" As usual, I pop my headphones on and head up the bank swinging thinking that I must have missed something....and then....KABLAM...kablam...KABLAM....quarter..quarter...QUARTER!!! Right at the base of the cellar hole I've been to a million times....however...my machine was telling me that it was 6-8 inches deep...at first I wrote it off as a D buckle or MAAAAAAAAYbe a shoebuckle....but prolly a harmonica reed...nope...a 1775 KGIII at around 9 inches I guesstimated. Awesome!! SOOOO never mind the other site I wanted to go to....I focused more attention here and came up with these goodies....anyone know what the circle glass piece is? It was patented in 1872...looks like a clay pigeon but has threads on the bottom as if it would screw onto something......? OH AND BTW....I am very proud of the cleaning I did on the copper.....it took 2 hours....STUBBORN CONCRETE!

Attachments

• IMG_2384.JPG
    IMG_2384.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 920
  • IMG_2385.JPG
    IMG_2385.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 909
  • IMG_2386.JPG
    IMG_2386.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 901
  • IMG_2387.JPG
    IMG_2387.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 881
  • IMG_2388.JPG
    IMG_2388.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 902
Upvote 0

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: King George the 3rd

Nice coin. Lots of detail. It appears to be a really nicely made CFT. Regal weight is around 140 grains. Cft's will typically be 25%, or more, under Regal weight. 1775 was a highly used date for cft's. The "S" looks a little funny and looks like there could be a small "gas port" hole to the upper left of the head of "Britania". Nice coin! Congrats.

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Sniffy great stuff! How did you clean that oxidation off?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's a real nice one. At first glance I thought it was a Machin's Mills, but is not. It's still a good counterfeit though. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hogge said:
Nice coin. Lots of detail. It appears to be a really nicely made CFT. Regal weight is around 140 grains. Cft's will typically be 25%, or more, under Regal weight. 1775 was a highly used date for cft's. The "S" looks a little funny and looks like there could be a small "gas port" hole to the upper left of the head of "Britania". Nice coin! Congrats.
After reading a ton n' a half about counterfeits, I think your right about the "gas port". I finnaly found a counterfeit copper!

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
That's a real nice one. At first glance I thought it was a Machin's Mills, but is not. It's still a good counterfeit though. :thumbsup:
Thats exactly what I was hoping for but didn't know how to accurately tell. Although, I can now scratch "counterfeit" off the to do list.

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SouthJerseyJim said:
Ancient chinese secret. ;D nahh....I use hot peroxide, q tips, a light toothbrush....it's all about patience and being gentle. And then when your done, follow it up with some oil, vaseline, or something to give it a nice finish.

oldmaps

Aug 11, 2010
al , ms , fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari , ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Your glass piece looks like a fruit jar lid made by Cohansey. You can usually find one on ebay to see an example. HH

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Congrats on the KG III Sniffy! :hello2:

I like the thimble you found too! :thumbsup:

I hope to find one someday! :D

Dave

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

nice george sniffy!! i havent had a george fix in a while. willy

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ouch on the laptop :P Oh yeah ! on the bogus George :hello2:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sniffy said:
SouthJerseyJim said:
Ancient chinese secret. ;D nahh....I use hot peroxide, q tips, a light toothbrush....it's all about patience and being gentle. And then when your done, follow it up with some oil, vaseline, or something to give it a nice finish.
Exactly how I do it! There is no other way to clean dug coppers. :thumbsup:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've not been on much this past month either Sniffy, even though I've been digging my butt off :laughing7: That's a Fine Counterfeit KG III buddy! :headbang: :occasion14:

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's a pretty nice looking one! :icon_thumright:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good cleaning job on the KGIII. Just so you know, that is not a cast counterfeit, but a struck counterfeit. KGIII cast counterfeits are not a common find at all, except for KGIII Irish Halfpence. KGII has a high percentage of cast counterfeits, but a KGIII one would be the exception, the vast majority of KGIII counterfeits were made from dies.
Also, a cast counterfeit can be light weight, or within the regal range depending upon the mixture of the zinc and lead that is sometimes added to counterfeits. Most struck counterfeits are copper, but much less of it, so even a counterfeit should read pretty darn good on most detectors, but a lot of cast counterfeits will read lower, again depending upon the zinc and lead alloy mixtures.
I have only seen one regal KGIII Halfpenny found in North America posted on this forum, regal KGIII coppers just did not get sent over here to the Colonies in any great numbers, but counterfeits abounded.

Don

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wow, super nice find and superb cleaning job!

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

oldmaps said:
Your glass piece looks like a fruit jar lid made by Cohansey. You can usually find one on ebay to see an example. HH
Thanks. I was stumbling around trying to figure this one out. Dead on.

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

{Sentinel} said:
I've not been on much this past month either Sniffy, even though I've been digging my butt off :laughing7: That's a Fine Counterfeit KG III buddy! :headbang: :occasion14:
And i'm sure all your diggin has paid off. I see your buddy just popped a box plate... :o

OP
OP
Sniffy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
Good cleaning job on the KGIII. Just so you know, that is not a cast counterfeit, but a struck counterfeit. KGIII cast counterfeits are not a common find at all, except for KGIII Irish Halfpence. KGII has a high percentage of cast counterfeits, but a KGIII one would be the exception, the vast majority of KGIII counterfeits were made from dies.
Also, a cast counterfeit can be light weight, or within the regal range depending upon the mixture of the zinc and lead that is sometimes added to counterfeits. Most struck counterfeits are copper, but much less of it, so even a counterfeit should read pretty darn good on most detectors, but a lot of cast counterfeits will read lower, again depending upon the zinc and lead alloy mixtures.
I have only seen one regal KGIII Halfpenny found in North America posted on this forum, regal KGIII coppers just did not get sent over here to the Colonies in any great numbers, but counterfeits abounded.

Don
It was surely reading well on my machine.....Once again Don, thank you for your input. I'm very pleased to have found a nice counterfeit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions